Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 07:59 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,124,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Flipping between CNN and Fox tonight, it's obvious that both democrats and establishment republicans want Trump out of the race and they want him out now, using the McCain comment as a pretext.
Correct, vis-a-vis the Republicans. The establishment fears that Mr. Trump would damage the "brand" with his comments. They don't figure Mr. Trump would ultimately win the nomination, but they don't like the in-fighting within the party. Mr. Trump has gotten into verbal arguments with, let's see, Jeb!, McCain, Perry, Walker, Romney, anybody else? And we just got started. Also, they don't want Mr. Trump to alienate the Hispanics, contrary to popular belief here on CD.

As for Democrats, Hillary and others are expressing feigned outrage to damage the Republican Party, not Mr. Trump. They want Mr. Trump to stay in and continue to attack Republicans and make gaffes to tick off the Hispanics, vets and others. While Mr. Trump gets 100% of media coverage and their other candidates are getting exactly 0%. Dems are loving it. If Mr. Trump wins the nomination, they would gladly take that over someone like Jeb! or Rubio. Best of all, they would try to maneuver something to encourage Mr. Trump to run as an Independent - that would ensure the GOP would have 0.0% chance of winning in 2016.

Mick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 08:58 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,279,369 times
To the person who repped me anonymously in order to tell me that Trump called McCain a war hero 4 times: please respond to my comments publicly rather than an anonymous rep if you disagree with a comment. And to address your anonymous comment: he made those statements rather disingenuously and with caveats.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...ro-four-times/

Old 07-21-2015, 09:06 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,279,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Wow. That's an interesting twist!
I wonder if they actually would boycott though. Trump will be there for sure, and it may be worse to give him an unopposed stage for 90 minutes than to debate him.

All the Republican debates are problematic. Too many candidates for a good debate, Trump now in the game, and there will be a lot of kerfuffle over who is allowed onstage or not.

I understand the GOP intends them to be a weeding of the field, but it may be best to scratch all the early ones and re-set the dates to a later time, allowing enough time for some to drop out. Some will, of course.
Actually, the Des Moines Register had an editorial today pleading with Trump to get out because he is muddying the waters to such an extent that the other candidates cannot get their message across.

Editorial: Trump should pull the plug on his bloviating side show

Old 07-21-2015, 09:11 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,948,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Actually, the Des Moines Register had an editorial today pleading with Trump to get out because he is muddying the waters to such an extent that the other candidates cannot get their message across.

Editorial: Trump should pull the plug on his bloviating side show
They should stick to reporting facts. If other candidates don't have a message that resonates - that's their problem.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:15 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,256,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
They should stick to reporting facts. If other candidates don't have a message that resonates - that's their problem.
Yes, it would seem that it isn't a problem that it isn't resonating. It's that the people are dismissing it. It's the same reason Sanders is doing well.

It's the people saying "enough already on how we have done things the last 30 years".

Old 07-21-2015, 09:21 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,924,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post

I believe that one of the characteristics of a great country is to be able to learn from other nations.

Border and VA reform issues can be fixed, EASY, if you ask me.

1. No need to build a wall of any kind to secure the border, all you have to do is put Marines or combat Soldiers at border like the Chinese people do. You kill those who pass the border, problem solved.

2. let more veterans use their benefits for care in private clinics and hospitals. Stop throwing money in VA hospitals. This will save tax payers a lot of money in the long run.
Putting marines would still increase the military budget, if only a drop in the bucket compared to Iraq and Afghanistan. As for the private system for vets, just look at how nuts the traditional healthcare industry is. The answers are still the same as the ones I refuted before, just with different faces.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:25 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,917,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Rush was talking about this very thing today. The Left want you to think it's hurting Trump. But it isn't, because people agree with him about McCain, Admirals son, who disobeyed orders (I read about this today) and flew too low, and that is why he was shot down. No one else in his squadron was shot down. Then, he colluded with the enemy.
McCain I don't trust. Yeah, he was a POW 40 some years ago and Trump was too blunt. We'll see.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:28 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,917,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Correct, vis-a-vis the Republicans. The establishment fears that Mr. Trump would damage the "brand" with his comments. They don't figure Mr. Trump would ultimately win the nomination, but they don't like the in-fighting within the party. Mr. Trump has gotten into verbal arguments with, let's see, Jeb!, McCain, Perry, Walker, Romney, anybody else? And we just got started. Also, they don't want Mr. Trump to alienate the Hispanics, contrary to popular belief here on CD.

As for Democrats, Hillary and others are expressing feigned outrage to damage the Republican Party, not Mr. Trump. They want Mr. Trump to stay in and continue to attack Republicans and make gaffes to tick off the Hispanics, vets and others. While Mr. Trump gets 100% of media coverage and their other candidates are getting exactly 0%. Dems are loving it. If Mr. Trump wins the nomination, they would gladly take that over someone like Jeb! or Rubio. Best of all, they would try to maneuver something to encourage Mr. Trump to run as an Independent - that would ensure the GOP would have 0.0% chance of winning in 2016.

Mick
Thing about this: IF more illegal aliens; especially from Mexico, commit nasty crimes like that Sanchez loser in SF, Trump may just win the election in 2016. Hillary's on shaky ground at best with HER dirt.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:30 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,924,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Trump should too. Mexico's government don't send illegals into America like he claims they do. John McCain is much more of a hero from being a POW than a spoiled rich kid from old money who has questionable business records.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Yes, it would seem that it isn't a problem that it isn't resonating. It's that the people are dismissing it. It's the same reason Sanders is doing well.

It's the people saying "enough already on how we have done things the last 30 years".
Sanders is resonating because of people that think we need a new point of view in Washington, one that isn't conservative or moderate. That and he is proposing options that aren't slash and cut that may actually help the middle class who has been crushed under the last two presidents.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:33 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,124,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
To the person who repped me anonymously in order to tell me that Trump called McCain a war hero 4 times: please respond to my comments publicly rather than an anonymous rep if you disagree with a comment. And to address your anonymous comment: he made those statements rather disingenuously and with caveats.

Trump: I called McCain a 'hero' four times | PolitiFact
Such a cowardly way to convey a message to someone, isn't it? I hate it when people do that.

I agree, it is clear to someone with above average comprehension that what Mr. Trump said unequivocally first was that McCain is not a war hero. Can't deny that. Then he kinda backtracks and says that McCain is a war hero BECAUSE he was captured. Meaning, McCain did not do anything else to deserve the war hero title. By clear implication, he is also saying that a POWs don't deserve the hero status. Anyone who argues otherwise either can't read, follows the Fringe Media blindly or are being facetious.

Mick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections