Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 11:06 PM

10,829 posts, read 5,457,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winning Guy View Post
They might.

Also a few things to keep in mind.

1) Most programmers straight from University are not prepared to do high level programming projects
Too bad. The companies can train them. They've already gotten the universities to do the basic training. And they don't pay for those universities..

Quote:
2) The h1b workers are not recent graduates. They are experienced developers
Experienced at developing what?

The super high-tech First World country of India? Of Bangladesh? Of China? I don't think so.

H1-bs are cheap labor, nothing more.

And speaking of cheap labor, we should heavily tax Apple and other tech companies until they bring their manufacturing jobs back to the U.S.

What does all this "high technology" get us anyway, besides a loss of privacy, people turned into zombies basing their lives on social media, special effects that make movies look even more fake, etc.?

It's not as if we're truly upgrading and advancing our technology overall. Far from it.

I understand that our nuclear weapons and delivery systems are completely out of date, if not unusable.

We know that our electronic grid is vulnerable to attack. A nuclear bomb exploded high up in our atmosphere could send us back to the stone age. Our financial and government institutions are constantly being hacked.

Who HASN'T had their personal information compromised?

We see collapsing basic infrastructure everywhere.

But we think we're so great because even homeless people have cell phones....

The word "stupid" doesn't do justice to what we've become.

Last edited by dechatelet; 08-19-2015 at 11:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 08:46 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,472,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
I really don't know the answer to this, but are US programmers considered less qualified (worse) than foreign programmers getting these visas, or is there a shortage of qualified programmers in the US? Or is it purely a labor cost issue? Maybe it's hard to get an unbiased answer, but give me your thoughts if you are knowledgeable about the industry.

Mick
I work in IT and there are MANY Indians here. They aren't that good at all, most are pure hacks. We have a system that was coded in India and it is pure ****.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:11 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,397,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
I really don't know the answer to this, but are US programmers considered less qualified (worse) than foreign programmers getting these visas, or is there a shortage of qualified programmers in the US? Or is it purely a labor cost issue? Maybe it's hard to get an unbiased answer, but give me your thoughts if you are knowledgeable about the industry.

Mick

Lots of IT work is project based. Companies must ramp up to get the product on the market. That means they need lots of temporary workers. If they had to lay off a bunch of citizens, the company would incur lot of unemployment claims. It is easier to bring in temp staff for 3+ months and then let them go as needed.

Why incur the expense to hire, train , and then lay off a full time employee when you can get a contractor( like me ) for $90-$100/hour and release me with just 2-weeks notice ???

Old 08-20-2015, 02:12 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,349,180 times
There are US temps too. BTW, where are those $100/hr contract jobs? Show me the ads because I know people who would be interested.

Old 08-20-2015, 02:20 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,997,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winning Guy View Post
They might.

Also a few things to keep in mind.

1) Most programmers straight from University are not prepared to do high level programming projects

2) The h1b workers are not recent graduates. They are experienced developers
I agree. I think part of the problem is our college education does not prepare these people well. People have to take so many useless classes, they barely have time to learn and practice the IT material.

Old 08-20-2015, 02:29 PM

24,416 posts, read 27,098,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
There is no shortage.

I have family members just out of college with computer science degrees from great private schools. You’d think Amazon and Google would snap them up. Wrong. You won’t believe what they put them through? 2 phone interviews before they are handed off to a technical person for another grueling set of interviews asking mind teaser questions. 5 of these interviews and nothing. You mean to tell me someone out of Bangalore passes these phone interviews and ours don’t?
They probably aren't too bright because I have a lot of local friends who are recent grads getting snapped up by startups. Sorry, but just like people on welfare, don't blame your problems on others. Also, Google and Amazon are the top of the top, so expecting them to hire a brand new person fresh out of college unless they got great internships isn't common, but tech jobs for recent grads are easy to get if they actually learned their stuff. The people Google, Amazon etc hire are the top of the totem pole. That is how they stay so competitive. I have a few friends working in Google, they are here on H-1B visas and it's amazing. They started in 6 figures, free gym membership, free food that is on the same level as the Bellagio Buffet that changes every day, free bikes to get around "campus" I mean it's just incredible. I'm very jealous... these guys are getting spoiled in terms of pay and amenities.

Old 08-20-2015, 07:45 PM

33,598 posts, read 18,243,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
This nation, when it was more "Godly", committed far worse atrocities than luring cheap labor from Mexico and Central America.
So your statement means that being Godly is being ungodly.. Yup.. end days.. Good is bad and bad is good to you.... just as the bible says this will be in the last days.

Old 08-20-2015, 07:47 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,968,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
You really believe businesses should decide American immigration and work permit policy? Umm no
Well, they do.

Old 08-21-2015, 12:41 AM

624 posts, read 380,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Too bad. The companies can train them. They've already gotten the universities to do the basic training. And they don't pay for those universities..
Companies do train a lot of programmers. But there are only so many trainees you can have and still have a competitive business.

Quote:
Experienced at developing what?
Software

Quote:
The super high-tech First World country of India? Of Bangladesh? Of China? I don't think so.
You'd be mistaken.

Quote:
H1-bs are cheap labor, nothing more.
Depends. Sometimes companies do just use them as cheap labor, and that's wrong to do.

Other times, they really are needed.

It's a mistake to make sweeping generalizations.

Quote:
And speaking of cheap labor, we should heavily tax Apple and other tech companies until they bring their manufacturing jobs back to the U.S.
That would require quite a lot of tax to make up for the difference. And at that point it would be cheaper to just move their headquarters overseas.

Quote:
What does all this "high technology" get us anyway, besides a loss of privacy, people turned into zombies basing their lives on social media, special effects that make movies look even more fake, etc.?
Umm... yeah. Let's forget about advancing technology... says the guy typing on a message forum on the internet.

Quote:
It's not as if we're truly upgrading and advancing our technology overall. Far from it.
There is a lot of advancement happening. We live in pretty exciting times technologically.

Quote:
I understand that our nuclear weapons and delivery systems are completely out of date, if not unusable.

We know that our electronic grid is vulnerable to attack. A nuclear bomb exploded high up in our atmosphere could send us back to the stone age. Our financial and government institutions are constantly being hacked.

Who HASN'T had their personal information compromised?

We see collapsing basic infrastructure everywhere.

But we think we're so great because even homeless people have cell phones....

The word "stupid" doesn't do justice to what we've become.
So... because we have advanced technology we are stupid. Interesting take.

Old 08-21-2015, 12:46 AM

624 posts, read 380,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
I agree. I think part of the problem is our college education does not prepare these people well. People have to take so many useless classes, they barely have time to learn and practice the IT material.
Agreed. There are so many fluff classes required by accreditation bodies. Most students are given a crash course in what everything is, but they don't really get enough practice implementing those concepts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections