Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 12:34 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,884,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Coal mining, at the moment, is a necessary evil, but NOT on federal lands. Is nothing sacred anymore? Or are we to leave industry to rape the lands that should be passed on to our children?
Where are these federal lands located?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 12:36 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,451,290 times
Upton, what about nuclear power?

7,211 posts, read 9,436,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemed View Post
I liked your posts much better when you talked about your pug. At least you had first hand information on that subject.
Great, she's right next to me, follows me everywhere. I love her like a child, because that's what she is to me. You have any advice on what to do about cutting her nails?

Look, nobody is perfect on the environment, but at least the Democrats aren't in bed with the fossil fuel industry. As you can see, from the link, over the last 18 years, 3/4 of the gas and oil industry donations went to Republicans.
Industry Totals: Oil & Gas

20,187 posts, read 23,872,138 times
I don't attribute evil to non-humans... it is a quality reserved only for human beings at the moment... coal mining is not evil in my line of thinking. I don't put humanistic qualities to actions, animals, or inanimate objects. Sacred? By whose definition? I think oxygen is sacred, could you please stop consuming it. I need some too.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:38 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,116,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
They do it through negligence, over a quarter of a million gallons were spilled at Prudhoe Bay in 2006. The environmental track record of the oil industry is abysmal. The oil companies access, to sensitive areas, must be restricted.

Btw, did you also know RP would allow coal mining on federal lands?

If you don't care about the environment, vote for RP.
That's me, I don't care about the environment as I think illegal immigration, the economy, war, and taxes are more important.

Energy independence means we need to begin using the resources on our own soil!

Old 01-28-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
That's me, I don't care about the environment
Spoken like a true Republican. Fortunately you are in the minority in this country.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:15 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,872,138 times
No she isn't, you are deliberately misleading as MamaBee said "That's me, I don't care about the environment as I think illegal immigration, the economy, war, and taxes are more important. "

Old 01-28-2008, 01:21 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,166,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
Back to the OP - I agree with Ron Paul on every one of those issues.

My only reservations about Ron Paul are the War and the gold standard. Because of his domestic policies, I'd vote for him before I'd vote for any of the Democrats running for President.
I have issues with the gold standard too. I think it is outdated, but there is significant evidence that tying our currency to a commodity versus fiat currency is better in the long run. Fortunately, under Paul's plan, none of this would happen overnight as there would be legal dual or more currencies in play. It'd be like having the dollar or the euro to chose from. Eventually, one will fall away as it is shown to have bad effects. Unless they're both bad.

In any case, I like the idea of smaller federal government and more input from the state I choose to live in. That's why I ultimately support Ron Paul and cannot and will not vote for anyone else.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
No she isn't, you are deliberately misleading as MamaBee said "That's me, I don't care about the environment as I think illegal immigration, the economy, war, and taxes are more important. "
Listing 4 other things, does not change the meaning of, "I don't care about the environment."

Now, if she had said "I care about the environment, I just think immigration, the economy, war, and taxes are more important." That would be different.

You can care about the environment, yet still have it low on your list of priorities. That wasn't done, in this case.

Anyway, why not let her speak for herself. If I'm wrong, she has my apologies.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:24 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,166,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
That's me, I don't care about the environment as I think illegal immigration, the economy, war, and taxes are more important.

Energy independence means we need to begin using the resources on our own soil!
California and Florida are trying to be innovators in the environmental realm. They are trying to find new sources of energy, clean, non-fossil fuel related sources. Every time, the EPA gets in their way. If we allowed a company to build 12 million wind turbines over the next 10 years and put them along our coastline, we could switch to 100% green clean energy and put Americans back to work here in the manufacturing sector. No more middle east, no more pollution, no more worries about the environment. But we might kill a few birds.

Heavens to betsy, we can't have that. Government isn't going to be what drives innovation. Only a free market with less regulation will do this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections