Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 12:16 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,995,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Mr. Trump's nomination is inevitable...
How many primaries has he won?

At this time eight years ago, Giuliani was inevitable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 12:41 PM

39,173 posts, read 51,470,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Mr. Trump's nomination is inevitable, unless Reince Preibus has something up his sleeve. His fans will never leave him under any circumstance. Guaranteed. Of course, he could voluntarily drop out for any number of reasons.

Based on polls, it appears that a generic Democrat would do better against Mr. Trump as opposed to Bush, Walker or Rubio. If that holds true, Dems would welcome Mr. Trump with open arms. If not . . . . well.

I look at it this way. Mr. Trump is a former 9-year Democrat with liberal views. As such, I trust that he will see both sides of the issues once he is in the office and is no longer accountable to anyone, like voters (he is not going to seek reelection in light of his age, I am sure). He is a decent and pragmatic man, it seems, so I think he will flip on issues again.

Mick
Let's just dispense with the primaries! Trump's nomination is far from inevitable. In fact, his nomination is highly unlikley. His popularity is not widespread in the party and is rather shallow. A few tough words from Fiorina over a 5 minute period and suddenly she is tied with Trump for the lead.

No the bad news for the Dems is that it is going to be Bush, Kasich or Rubio, not Trump, who bears the Republican standard next November. Any of them will be a lot tougher to beat.

Old 09-18-2015, 12:47 PM

77,770 posts, read 105,145,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
On a scale of 1 to 10, how mad are liberals at the fact that a polictically incorrect celebrity has the support of a gigantic percentage of Americans? I mean, the guys/gals he'll be running against are Joe "Hair Transplant" Biden / "Amtrack Joe" and Hillary "What, Like With a Cloth?" / "Dodged Sniper Fire in Bosnia" Clinton.
not to worry anyone, Trump is not going to be the nominee. I think we are going to see him slip by the week now, especially seeing it doesn't appear many think he did well or really well in the debates. I am sure the libs are not terrribly worried. I think some conservtives are the ones who are worried.

Old 09-18-2015, 01:31 PM

123 posts, read 105,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
OK. You're not insulting me. Have a good night.

Oh, did Clinton call Mexicans rapists and murderers? Do tell... Cheers.
What he said was the truth. Your rhetoric is how cultural marxism functions - take a factual and say it is "hate" or "hateful". Nonsense. The fact is many illegal border jumpers are rapists (and other undesirables) such as the drug addict who jumped the border six times and murdered Kate Steinle for no reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag3.14 View Post
The shame for all of us really is that people like Kasich are competent republicans. He has a presidential resume, more experience than Rubio and Bush combined, and I (a moderate leaning left) would consider voting for him. He would give Hillary an honest run and America a really good debate. Trump, Carson and Fiorina are just nothing candidates that short change the country.

It is sad that the qualified candidates have no chance in the GOP.
Fiorina isn't qualified? Let me ask you...what makes Hillary more qualified than her???

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
"There is only one libertarian position on immigration, and that position is open immigration or open borders."
There Is Only One Libertarian Position on Immigration - The Future of Freedom Foundation

"Libertarians believe that people should be able to travel peacefully across borders to work, trade, or live."
Libertarians versus Donald Trump | Libertarian Party

"Thus, for well over a century, the American people said "No" to such anti-free-market government policies as ...immigration controls..."
Libertarian Principles

"...the most popular philosophical defence for closed borders may be at odds with libertarian principles of legitimacy. "
http://www.scielo.org.mx/pdf/trf/n48/n48a8.pdf
Oh, believe me, I'm not a libertarian in the traditional mold (nor will I be swayed by the line of argument that EVERYTHING goes under the ideology of libertarianism).

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Why would they be mad, if that arrogant jerk is their choice, it just guarantees a win for the Democrats, LOL!
How so? Hillary is going down the tubes - she has barely a shred of integrity left - and Sanders is so far left he stands a snowball's chance in Hell of making it (even less of a chance than a reality TV star billionaire).

Old 09-18-2015, 01:39 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,837,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESK85 View Post

Oh, believe me, I'm not a libertarian in the traditional mold (nor will I be swayed by the line of argument that EVERYTHING goes under the ideology of libertarianism).
Just checking, some people call themselves libertarian and are very surprised to find out what it formally means.

I am pretty libertarian on many issues, but I don't agree with the idea that a just social order automagically emerges from laissez faire principles. That is about as likely as the marxist idea that the state will wither away of its own accord. Or the norquist idea that drowning a weak defenseless government in the bathtub is desirable.

Old 09-18-2015, 01:48 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,824,746 times
Quote:
On a scale of 1 to 10, how mad are liberals at the fact that a polictically incorrect celebrity has the support of a gigantic percentage of Americans?
If 1 if the lowest, then 1. They couldn't be happier with Trump disrupting the serious candidates.

Old 09-18-2015, 02:02 PM

123 posts, read 105,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
If 1 if the lowest, then 1. They couldn't be happier with Trump disrupting the serious candidates.
You people keep saying that but...don't you guys realize that those of us on the other side of the political spectrum think exactly the same way about the guy who is leading you guys off the cliff, Bernie Sanders?

You guys just don't see it. Hillary is toast and the next guy in line for your side's nomination is a quack.

You guys are in much more trouble than you think.

Old 09-18-2015, 02:29 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,837,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESK85 View Post
You people keep saying that but...don't you guys realize that those of us on the other side of the political spectrum think exactly the same way about the guy who is leading you guys off the cliff, Bernie Sanders?

You guys just don't see it.

You guys are in much more trouble than you think.
Well, maybe.

Another way to see it is to look at the differences between the two situations. For the sake of argument, I will assume that Trump continues to be the R standard-bearer (something which is very much still up in the air, IMO.)

Trump is basically running *against* the long-time social and religious conservative R platform. He is using centrist arguments to knock down the other Rs. When you can find plenty of R posters on this very forum who have been saying for years that the current R establishment are RINOs, and they want to see R politicians take much more conservative positions. Plenty of social and religious conservatives - IOW, the R base - are wondering whether a GOP that could nominate Trump is a good home for them after all. Whether they suck it up and ride with it or not is going to be very interesting to watch.

Sanders is basically running *for* the wishlist that much of the D base hoped they were getting with Obama. They haven't given up on it. Ms Clinton is no doubt keenly aware of the tactics of the master triangulator, Mr. Clinton, which could be used to co-opt Sanders-sympathetic voters and get them to turn out for her because she is more electable than Sanders.

Another factor I can see - if Trump does not gain the R nomination, I think some of his supporters will see an evil plot perpetrated by the R establishment, and may not turn out to support the final R candidate. If Sanders does not gain the D nomination, some of his supporters will see an evil plot perpetrated by the D establishment, and may not turn out to support the final D candidate. I'd bet that there will be more R stay-out voters than D stay-out voters.

Time will tell, I make no claim that my crystal ball is better than anyone else's. I will say that this election is already *much* more interesting than I was thinking it would be six months ago!

Old 09-18-2015, 02:41 PM

11,448 posts, read 14,502,227 times
Quote:
On a scale of 1 to 10, how mad are liberals at the fact that a polictically incorrect celebrity has the support of a gigantic percentage of Americans? I mean, the guys/gals he'll be running against are Joe "Hair Transplant" Biden / "Amtrack Joe" and Hillary "What, Like With a Cloth?" / "Dodged Sniper Fire in Bosnia" Clinton.
No anger here: He won't be the nominee for the GOP.

Old 09-18-2015, 02:46 PM

38,933 posts, read 24,017,207 times
Quote:
Trump has the spotlight on the media but will it last, that is the question? I honestly think the democrats and liberals are happy about this because they aren't being criticised, well except Hilary...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections