Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 12:06 AM

13,560 posts, read 10,422,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Don't be intentionally obtuse.

If a particular minority does not have one of their own to vote for, they can potentially vote for anyone. However if a Oriental is running, expect more fellow Orientals to be voting for their own. This is evident in places like SF, or Seattle. The same is true of Hispanics in Miami.
Rest assured it is not limited to minorities, as back in the day of JFK, many a Catholic voted for him even though they were of a different party.

As to "no go zones", again, stop being obtuse. I was not implying directly or indirectly it was unsafe. Rather it is a matter of fact that if you do not speak Spanish, you will not find virtually anyone who speaks English in certain areas of Miami. So if you need directions, or something similar, you may as well be in a foreign country.
Specifically?
Parts of Hialeah, Little Havana/Calle Ocho
Looks like you're being intentionally obtuse, or just old fashioned, The proper term is Asian if you're referring to people who have ancestry or originate from countries such as China, Korea, India, Japan, Malaysia, Thailand, etc.

Orientals are carpets or cats.

Thank you.

Old 11-18-2015, 04:51 AM

35,851 posts, read 21,267,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Looks like you're being intentionally obtuse, or just old fashioned, The proper term is Asian if you're referring to people who have ancestry or originate from countries such as China, Korea, India, Japan, Malaysia, Thailand, etc.

Orientals are carpets or cats.

Thank you.
in the English language-- in other languages-- Asian is not used-- in the same way--

Old 11-18-2015, 02:41 PM

16,828 posts, read 8,807,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Oriental? Where are you from?
Five Racial Terms to Avoid
Five Racial Terms to Avoid

I live in Miami and spend most of the day speaking Spanish and giving directions in Spanish and even I know not to use that term.
Yes, Oriental is a perfectly normal and accurate term to describe people from certain regions. I guess other parts of the world that use the more accurate descriptions (like in the UK) are also doing something wrong in your PC book. Try looking up the historical definitions of Occidental/Oriental and also look up how not all people are Asian/Asiatic even though that is the current term favored by the PC police.

If you were not infected with PC, you wouldn't bat an eye at the term as most Oriental people do not.
Then again, since you are linking "terms to avoid", you must not only be infected, but are trying to spread the sickness. Fortunately I am immune, so your efforts to brainwash me will be a waste of your time.

As an FYI - I have a handful of current Oriental friends, and not a one is disturbed by the term, and they themselves use it.
Over the years I have known over a dozen people of the "yellow race" (like that better) , and not a one has objected.
It is only the lily white liberals infected with PC that seem to take umbrage with the term. Which of course is funny because they are offended on behalf of other people, in some cases despite not even knowing any of them personally.

`

Old 11-18-2015, 04:36 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,806,429 times
Diversity = Code word for hating " Blue Eyed Blond Haired Devils". i.e. Western Civilization in NA.

In the end it's all nonsense.

Old 11-18-2015, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Yes, Oriental is a perfectly normal and accurate term to describe people from certain regions. I guess other parts of the world that use the more accurate descriptions (like in the UK) are also doing something wrong in your PC book. Try looking up the historical definitions of Occidental/Oriental and also look up how not all people are Asian/Asiatic even though that is the current term favored by the PC police.

If you were not infected with PC, you wouldn't bat an eye at the term as most Oriental people do not.
Then again, since you are linking "terms to avoid", you must not only be infected, but are trying to spread the sickness. Fortunately I am immune, so your efforts to brainwash me will be a waste of your time.

As an FYI - I have a handful of current Oriental friends, and not a one is disturbed by the term, and they themselves use it.
Over the years I have known over a dozen people of the "yellow race" (like that better) , and not a one has objected.
It is only the lily white liberals infected with PC that seem to take umbrage with the term. Which of course is funny because they are offended on behalf of other people, in some cases despite not even knowing any of them personally.

`
I happen to be Asian American. And as someone who is directly related to those categories, I have the right to be referred to as what I would like to be referred to as my ethnic and ancestral identity.

It's called common courtesy, not PC. Call people what they want to be called. If you don't know, ASK.

Stop trying to white-spain or tell me what I should or should not accept. It's not your place to do so, and if you're stubbornly trying to cling to an archaic term, well, that says a lot about you and not others.

Old 11-18-2015, 05:21 PM

63,481 posts, read 29,510,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Diversity = Code word for hating " Blue Eyed Blond Haired Devils". i.e. Western Civilization in NA.

In the end it's all nonsense.
Where I live "diversity" is in full force. If you go by a school in my neighborhood seeing a blue-eyed blonde haired kid is a rarity. It is a sea of brown eyed, dark haired kids. How is that diversity?

Old 11-18-2015, 05:53 PM

16,828 posts, read 8,807,628 times
Quote:
I happen to be Asian American. And as someone who is directly related to those categories, I have the right to be referred to as what I would like to be referred to as my ethnic and ancestral identity.

It's called common courtesy, not PC. Call people what they want to be called. If you don't know, ASK.

Stop trying to white-spain or tell me what I should or should not accept. It's not your place to do so, and if you're stubbornly trying to cling to an archaic term, well, that says a lot about you and not others.
I see, so it is what you choose to be called, not what is correct, or intended as normal conversation.
Ask them what they wish to be called?
Has regular interaction with other human beings really gotten to the point of needing to call them what they want to be called before interacting with them. Do you apply this same standard with white people of various ethnic or religious backgrounds?
I bet you don't, and your PC brainwashing doesn't even have you consider calling whites, Irish-American, Welsh-American, or any other hyphenated-American.
But you would likely stumble all over your PC self if you called a black person African-American, and they objected.
That is right, the new PC term of African-American insults certain blacks, especially those from the island nations like Jamaica.

So don't tell me people MUST call Bruce Jenner (a biological male) not only by his chosen name which is easy enough to do, but also refer to him as a her.
I don't think so, because it is not reality.
Presumably in your mind, you must call Rachel Dolezal black or African-American, despite the fact she is biologically white, just because she wants you to?
Again, not reality, so I am not going to play games just to appease someone's psychosis.

The term Oriental is not considered an ethnic slur nor an insult to the normal, yet many PC types want to make it akin to derogatory or demeaning terms like **** or some other insulting prerogative toward Orientals.
Now if we were out together and someone called you a **** or other dehumanizing name like that, I'd know they were trying to insult you. So your negative reaction would be understandable.
But if they said something like I respect the Oriental culture because they revere their elders more than most other ethnic groups, I would know they were saying something complimentary. I wouldn't expect you to get on your high horse and try correcting them based on your own preferences.

Lastly, as to "archaic terms", I really do not believe you understand what that term means either. PC has not been around and certainly not been in favor that long to say anything not in line with it, is archaic.
Aside from the obvious immaturity of it, along with blatant hypocrisy, it sets back normal and casual communication with people of different stripes. We need better communication, not getting worked up over terms that allow those with chips on their shoulders to have brainwashed indignation.
There is a Seinfeld episode that tackles this with an American Indian woman he is interested in dating(you will note that I didn't say "native-American" because again, I am not infected with PC);

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpGfyp6MxkM

The episode is funny as it shows how he is just speaking normally, not intending to offend anyone, because after all he is smitten with the girl. Yet he starts tripping all over himself trying not to use simple terms like "reservations" for fear of offending her.
If you cannot laugh at this absurd stuff it would drive you crazy.

The bottom line is that I am friends with all sorts of people, and treat them with respect based on who they are and how they act as an individual.
However I am not going to worry about those who might have a racial chip on their shoulders, nor those so brainwashed by PC that they would show indignation over a simple term or phrase that was not meant to be insulting/derogatory. I'd rather not be around such people, as it is their problem not mine. While I would not intend to be intentionally rude, nor will I live my life walking on eggshells so as to not upset the delicate sensibilities of the perpetually offended.

`

Old 11-18-2015, 06:08 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,095,042 times
Cut the 24/7 snark - this post excepted, but it is the exception - and you can have some respect. Until then, you are just another overly sensitive left wing whiner.
Quote:

Old 11-18-2015, 06:18 PM

Quote:
I see, so it is what you choose to be called, not what is correct, or intended as normal conversation.
Ask them what they wish to be called?
Has regular interaction with other human beings really gotten to the point of needing to call them what they want to be called before interacting with them. Do you apply this same standard with white people of various ethnic or religious backgrounds?
I bet you don't, and your PC brainwashing doesn't even have you consider calling whites, Irish-American, Welsh-American, or any other hyphenated-American.
But you would likely stumble all over your PC self if you called a black person African-American, and they objected.
That is right, the new PC term of African-American insults certain blacks, especially those from the island nations like Jamaica.

So don't tell me people MUST call Bruce Jenner (a biological male) not only by his chosen name which is easy enough to do, but also refer to him as a her.
I don't think so, because it is not reality.
Presumably in your mind, you must call Rachel Dolezal black or African-American, despite the fact she is biologically white, just because she wants you to?
Again, not reality, so I am not going to play games just to appease someone's psychosis.

The term Oriental is not considered an ethnic slur nor an insult to the normal, yet many PC types want to make it akin to derogatory or demeaning terms like **** or some other insulting prerogative toward Orientals.
Now if we were out together and someone called you a **** or other dehumanizing name like that, I'd know they were trying to insult you. So your negative reaction would be understandable.
But if they said something like I respect the Oriental culture because they revere their elders more than most other ethnic groups, I would know they were saying something complimentary. I wouldn't expect you to get on your high horse and try correcting them based on your own preferences.

Lastly, as to "archaic terms", I really do not believe you understand what that term means either. PC has not been around and certainly not been in favor that long to say anything not in line with it, is archaic.
Aside from the obvious immaturity of it, along with blatant hypocrisy, it sets back normal and casual communication with people of different stripes. We need better communication, not getting worked up over terms that allow those with chips on their shoulders to have brainwashed indignation.
There is a Seinfeld episode that tackles this with an American Indian woman he is interested in dating(you will note that I didn't say "native-American" because again, I am not infected with PC);

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpGfyp6MxkM

The episode is funny as it shows how he is just speaking normally, not intending to offend anyone, because after all he is smitten with the girl. Yet he starts tripping all over himself trying not to use simple terms like "reservations" for fear of offending her.
If you cannot laugh at this absurd stuff it would drive you crazy.

The bottom line is that I am friends with all sorts of people, and treat them with respect based on who they are and how they act as an individual.
However I am not going to worry about those who might have a racial chip on their shoulders, nor those so brainwashed by PC that they would show indignation over a simple term or phrase that was not meant to be insulting/derogatory. I'd rather not be around such people, as it is their problem not mine. While I would not intend to be intentionally rude, nor will I live my life walking on eggshells so as to not upset the delicate sensibilities of the perpetually offended.

`
You've rambled on and on about being PC or other nonsense to the point of being stubbornly obtuse. Look, people have preferences, and frankly, in the US, it is an archaic, old fashioned term. Deal with it. You just sound like a stubborn curmungeon who bemoans that other people prefer to be called something else.

But I think the real problem for you is simply that you dislike the fact that nonwhite people have taken back the narrative of self-identity. Face it, you don't get a monopoly on cultural hegemony anymore or to define others.

Sounds like you're the whiner here.

Too bad.

http://http://dialectblog.com/2013/0...f-a-semi-slur/

Old 11-18-2015, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Cut the 24/7 snark - this post excepted, but it is the exception - and you can have some respect. Until then, you are just another overly sensitive left wing whiner.
Actually, you are the one who's whining that I've asserted that Asian is the commonly accepted term today.

Sorry but again, you are not the arbiter of cultural terminology, and that seems to bother you.

Last edited by silverkris; 11-18-2015 at 06:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections