Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 05:39 PM

11,987 posts, read 5,314,747 times

Advertisements

About a year ago, William H. Frey, the chief demographer for the Brookings a Institute, published a book entitled "Diversity Explosion, How New Racial Demograpics Are Remaking America".

http://www.amazon.com/Diversity-Expl...sity+explosion

Tonight, I found a detailed power point presentation by Frey and Ruy Teixeria that was obviously based upon the findings of that book that I'm sharing here. It's very detailed (about 156 pages long) and covers data for every state in the country from 1980 with projections through 2060. Frey projects that there will be three different types of states (1.)" The Melting Pot" comprised of growing states fueled primarily by immigration, (2.) "The New Sunbelt" comprised of states all over the country that are projected to grow by attracting people from other states and (3.) "The Heartland" comprised of states with dwindling and older populations. The biggest concern of the projections would be the Heartland states, with aging populations and fewer younger workers to support them. Without immigration, population growth would have been flat since 2000.

https://cdn.americanprogress.org/wp-...OC-report1.pdf

By 2060, it is projected that there will be 22 minority-majority states that account for about 2/3rds of the Nation's population. I placed this on the Elections forum, because there are obvious political ramifications of change of this magnitude. Over the long run, any successful political party is going to have to appeal across the wide spectrum of the population.

Old 11-15-2015, 05:41 PM

27,713 posts, read 16,209,517 times
Quote:

population growth would
Told all of our lives that the population bomb was gonna destroy us... now there aren't enough of us so we have to import population... To bad we have been aborting our offspring. Candidates of the future will have to be as bland as a corporate burger to be just ok with everyone.

Old 11-15-2015, 05:59 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,863,778 times
If one chooses to stereotype the members of any gender, racial, ethnic or economic group as a single, monolithic block of voters, then I suppose one might argue that 'diversity is reshaping America.' Otherwise, I wonder if America itself isn't the catalyst in 'shaping' people of all groups.

Old 11-15-2015, 06:19 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,780,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
If one chooses to stereotype the members of any gender, racial, ethnic or economic group as a single, monolithic block of voters, then I suppose one might argue that 'diversity is reshaping America.'
Of course immigrants have an impact. And when they come in large numbers they do indeed "reshape" their new countries. This happens regardless of they way they are categorized, stereotypically or otherwise.

Quote:
I wonder if America itself isn't the catalyst in 'shaping' people of all groups.
Sure, America also shapes the newcomers who arrive. It works both ways.

Old 11-15-2015, 06:23 PM

11,987 posts, read 5,314,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
If one chooses to stereotype the members of any gender, racial, ethnic or economic group as a single, monolithic block of voters, then I suppose one might argue that 'diversity is reshaping America.' Otherwise, I wonder if America itself isn't the catalyst in 'shaping' people of all groups.
I don't think anyone can deny that diversity is changing America. Whether it is changing it politically remains to be seen, but as we become more and more diverse, it's going to harder and harder for either party or any new party to win nationally if it doesn't attract a broad cross section of voters.

Old 11-15-2015, 06:24 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,780,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Over the long run, any successful political party is going to have to appeal across the wide spectrum of the population.
...and avoid becoming too closely associated in voter's minds with the least cooperative and least productive elements of society. This will be especially problematic for Democrats.

Old 11-15-2015, 06:39 PM

20,184 posts, read 20,967,982 times
From all the back and forth nonsense I see between party affiliation I get the feeling that the general(somewhat stereotypical)opinion is:

Republicans=old school white folk.
Democrats=minorities and really really rich white folk.

Old 11-15-2015, 06:42 PM

2,485 posts, read 2,224,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
...and avoid becoming too closely associated in voter's minds with the least cooperative and least productive elements of society. This will be especially problematic for Democrats.
Well, that can go both ways. The least cooperative can be the tea party types, or the least productive and the most demanding. I think it'll be an ever evolving political situation.

It's not just diversity, but economic changes that are associated with diversity. Please every group? Easy to say, hard to do. You can't just tell people you love them. They ask you where you stand on an issue. whatever you say, you will **** you 1/3 of the population. how about that?

i'm somewhat pessimistic. i think america will be more divided in every way. the political parties will continue to be incoherent and inconsistent.

Old 11-16-2015, 03:35 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,714,153 times
2060?

When has an prediction about what the country would look like in a 1/2 century ever been correct? Go find the one that says the USA will be uninhabitable by the end of the century due to global warming. Obviously both can't be correct.

Instead, all I see here is "we hate the Blond Haired Blue Eye Devils".

So let's create a report to say that disguised as real research so people might believe it.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:03 AM

26,026 posts, read 22,219,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Of course immigrants have an impact. And when they come in large numbers they do indeed "reshape" their new countries. This happens regardless of they way they are categorized, stereotypically or otherwise.

Sure, America also shapes the newcomers who arrive. It works both ways.
While that may be true of legal immigrants, it is not true with illegal immigrants and they really are the issue right now. Just look at the increase in crime by illegal immigrants that shouldn't be here. Look at rape and molestation when it comes to illegals, it is almost always a child. Mexico's age of sexual consent is 12 years old so would this be the people you want shaping our nation? We have 3rd world illegal immigrants flooding our nation so we must make sure this isn't working both ways and get them back to where they can have things the way want to protest in their own country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
I don't think anyone can deny that diversity is changing America. Whether it is changing it politically remains to be seen, but as we become more and more diverse, it's going to harder and harder for either party or any new party to win nationally if it doesn't attract a broad cross section of voters.
Diverse? You mean 3 and 4 illegal families living in a 1 or 2 bedroom? "Cross section"? Isn't what we are talking about the people coming in illegally and the government kissing their behinds while we suffer the crime and pick up the tab when it comes to supporting them?

So, is the jest of this thread that politicians need to pander to illegals in order to get votes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections