Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 02:56 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,231,792 times

Advertisements

I live in a caucus state and I'm completely happy to say no caucuses. They are extremely undemocratic (lower case d) because they disenfranchise the majority of voters. I find it particularly ironic in CO as we have mail in ballots in every other election, to try to make it as easy as possible to vote and to increase participation as much as possible. But for presidential nominations, we flip it around and make it as hard as possible. Between getting there early enough to find parking and the entire process, it took me about 3 hours on caucus night - on a work/school night. Many of my family, friends, neighbors could not participate due to conflicting schedules, childcare issues, illness and other reasons. Yet they could have easily mailed in a ballot. Not a fair process at all.

But of course none of that has anything to do with superdelegates. I am personally ok with the SD process - if these congressional reps and other elected officials were chosen via the caucus/primary process, that just leaves fewer delegate slots for non-officials. And nothing would prevent any of them from endorsing a candidate so the impact is the same as right now, any statement on their part that they will vote for a particular candidate is essentially an endorsement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 02:57 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,660,176 times
It's a way for the political parties to give an illusion to the people they really have a choice in the primaries, when they really don't.

The taxpayers in every state should absolutely refuse to fund any primary or caucus until both parties clean up their corrupt act.

Old 04-19-2016, 03:00 PM

20,127 posts, read 16,176,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
It's a way for the political parties to give an illusion to the people they really have a choice in the primaries, when they really don't.

The taxpayers in every state should absolutely refuse to fund any primary or caucus until both parties clean up their corrupt act.
I don't think the states should have anything to do with primaries or caucuses, including paying for them. Many of the states with caucuses used to make the political parties pay for them. It is one of the motivators to do caucuses, they are cheaper. The Kentucky Republicans paid for Kentucky's caucus this year because Kentucky ballot laws would have restricted Rand Paul to either running for senator or president, not both.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 04-19-2016 at 03:10 PM..

Old 04-19-2016, 03:07 PM

25,968 posts, read 22,154,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post

I wonder how many people are going to want to part with a donation to a party that doesn't allow them to participate or does and then overrides what has been the decision of those that voted. I guess being allowed to vote in a primary or caucus is a privilege and fewer people all the time are being allowed that privilege?

Samantha Bee explains superdelegates and she tells it like it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtuWiHYmr4U

I subscribe to her channel, it is humor and fact.

Old 04-19-2016, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I wonder how many people are going to want to part with a donation to a party that doesn't allow them to participate or does and then overrides what has been the decision of those that voted. I guess being allowed to vote in a primary or caucus is a privilege and fewer people all the time are being allowed that privilege?
You really need to read up on political party presidential nomination history - really. More people participate in them than used to. The popular vote influences the selection of the nominee more than it did prior to 1972. My state didn't even hold primary elections when I first started voting. Access to the rules of state/national political party nominee selection is more widespread than at any time in history. I can excuse you or other average voters from failing to look up the particulars in a state other than your own but NONE of this should be a surprise to any candidate.

Old 04-19-2016, 03:26 PM

25,968 posts, read 22,154,119 times
Let's not forget that CO changed the rules in August 2015. Many people are very upset. And, super delegates? We need to kick both parties to the curb and cut any taxpayer funding.

Old 04-19-2016, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Let's not forget that CO changed the rules in August 2015. Many people are very upset. And, super delegates? We need to kick both parties to the curb and cut any taxpayer funding.
I absolutely agree with the bolded.

Old 04-19-2016, 04:05 PM

7,580 posts, read 5,332,498 times
Funny all the uproar about super delegates who represent a mere 15% of the total delegate count.

As Old Hag1 points out, in 1968 the Democratic Party held exactly 15 primaries and caucuses, the rest of the delegates were picked by party bosses. As a result of the tumult in 1968 by 1972 the Democratic Party held primaries and caucuses in all 50 states, the result... George McGovern. We all know how that worked out. So it was decided to establish the Superdelegates so that elected party officials, folks who are involved in the day to day politics of the Party would have at least some say in the process. We haven't had a McGovern ever since.

Old 04-19-2016, 05:12 PM

14,491 posts, read 20,678,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
1) Primaries and/or caucuses are not in the Constitution.

2) States run all elections, not the federal government.

3) Political parties are not addressed in the Constitution.

4) Political parties are private organizations.

5) Political parties have a constitutional right to chose their nominee in any manner they wish.

6) The GOP is associated with States' Rights, which means it would be against their philosophy to dictate to their state parties how to choose their delegates.
I know all that. But there were vote counters at some of the caucus's that struggled adding votes.
Florida Trump delegates have to vote for him for 3 ballots at a contested convention.
Other states can leave after the 1st ballot.
Iowa was a caucus. 4 groups of people in a room. Trumpsters, Cruzers, Kasichs and people who had not decided yet who were courted by a representative for each candidate to join one of the other three groups of people.
Pennsylvania is proportional.
New Jersey is winner take all.
Colorado the voters did not get to vote at all. Some wanted to vote for Kasich and could not.

Trump is right, it's not rigged but it is way too complicated.

Every state should do it the same way. There are government agencies that can push for reforms.

Old 04-19-2016, 05:25 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,768,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The party elects the candidates, not the voters when convention time comes.

The DNC primaries and caucuses are rigged for who the party decides, not who the people want.

1/3 of all delegates are in reserve. They are called Super-Delegates. It is the DNC's fail safe mechanism to keep people like Bernie Sanders from power.

1/3 of all delegates are for the Royalty called Hillary, before primaries and caucuses start.
The chosen one.

The opposing candidate has to practically win all primaries and caucuses to overcome it.
Bad news for Bernie.

Obama had 98% of the Black vote and grassroots ground game to overcome it in 2008
You appear to have a very interesting arithmetic system on your planet.

Here on this planet, the arithmetic system we use computes that the 714 super delegates are 15% of the total 4765 delegates.

Democratic Detailed Delegate Allocation - 2016
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections