Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 09:47 AM

28,970 posts, read 30,336,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Editorial: We recommend John Kasich for GOP presidential nomination | Dallas Morning News

Okay, I don't play much attention to endorsements, but this one was a little surprising. Kasich, really?
There are so many people out there who know nothing about the candidates, and don't care to, and the media knows they rely simply on what they read or hear on the internet or TV...and the entire establishment wants to take the votes away from Trump, they are really trying hard to sway people.

Every election they do this...and it gets dirtier and dirtier the closer to election it gets...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 09:51 AM

26,009 posts, read 22,203,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
He's the News Editor, and its headlines have become as lefty as NYT. You keep bringing up the editorial board.

Does this look like a low-level columnist and copyeditor (it's one word): "I’ve been editor of The Dallas Morning News since February."

You can be a better debater with practice.
The bottom line is, no matter what you say about people that post, it does not change anything.

Hey, I was glad to see this and am not that surprised. When I was googling for Cruz, I came up with more than a couple of petitions online where they were trying to recall him. The most current: MoveOn Petitions - RECALL TED CRUZ, IMMEDIATELY! I think the newspapers may be saying anyone other than Cruz: http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/...bush-over-cruz

I would really have to hesitate on a candidate that wasn't popular in their own state, definitely try to learn why and vote accordingly.

When looking at the candidates initially, I came across things on Kasich as Governor of Ohio and he just wasn't what I was looking for.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:00 AM

28,970 posts, read 30,336,251 times
Quote:
katygirl68 I want to like Trump, but he makes it so hard. He is petulant, he fights dirty, and I am starting to think he doesn't really want the job. He likes the attention, but I'm not sure he wants to be under the microscope for the next 4-8 years. The behavior at his rallies is a little scary. He could be great or he could be a demagogue, but I fear the latter. He doesn't have a lot of details of how he is going to make everything so great.
Trump is not doing anything that any other candidate in the past hasn't done....and, he doesn't attack anyone unless they attack him and they have...if you were following that you would know. He isn't fighting dirty, he is fighting like a 3rd grader....and no one else shares a lot of details about what they are going to do. In the beginning, when Trump started to run he was very vocal about what he was going to do, just like Herman Cain was...(their policies are pretty much the same) and the GOP's started really attacking him and his behavior...even the news media chimmed in. Then when they all saw that people were not putting up with it or believing it, they all started to parrot him and say the very same things. If Trump has done anything, he has upset the entire establishment and helped to wake people up. I don't know if he's going to make America so great, but he seems to have a big heart and care? Money and economy to me, will be his biggest win....he is old school, believing you have to work for what you want and that scares everyone who wants a free ride.

Quote:
I decided I have been projecting on him all the things I wanted in a candidate, and making excuses for his crazy statements (he wants the headline grabber, doesn't really mean he would kill family members of terrorists, etc.). I feel that if I am too embarrassed to put his bumper sticker on my car, then maybe I should not vote for him.
So have I, but then I think, whats worse, a lier who is bought a paid for, who is simply telling us what we want to hear, or a harmless big hearted person who puts no filter on his words. I'm still with Trump...b/c if anyone else gets in and they win, it will just be like Bush's politics all over again and he did nothing....and Jeb is a big baby...plus, many people don't know this, but way back when I was young and obeying the law held weight and people were held accountable for not obeying the law....Jebb married his illegal wife...and I was crushed and shocked at the same time...why? Because you just didn't ignore laws...and stay in politics, or at least I thought so...that was the beginning of an awakening for me.

Quote:
I don't like the others either, which is a problem. John Kasich isn't bad though. I listened to him in an interview and really liked what he had to say. People get mad and say he isn't conservative enough for what? He expanded Medicaid so more people could get healthcare? He allocated more money for mental health issues? Is that supposed to make him horrible? Because I just don't see it that way.
No, he isn't bad, however, he wants to do away with social security..which sucks, I paid into social security all my life....He wants to give amnesty...No way!!! that slaps my girlfriend in the face who came to this country, worked very hard to learn the language put herself thru school by herself, and now is an American citizen. I don't want people in this county who don't obey our laws.

Listen, you cannot, ignore laws b/c you feel sorry for people...b/c when you do, you open the flood gates to every other person who your supposed to feel sorry for....and it's wrong, it's against the law, they are illegals, and it's not just Mexican....You have illegals here for all over the world now...enough is enough, they can round them up thru law enforcement....and send them back...but it's got to be done...and BTW, all the companies here in the U.S. have been using them as slave labor....reaping the benefits, without paying them benefits....they've had enough time to save money and yet, all of us, by charging top dollar for their products.

Back when gas was high, they raised the price of food, like they always do, however, the price never goes back down...it continually is going up....enough is enough!

What bothers me are the people, who ignore all this...and continue to pay...when in fact we are being raped financially.

I hope after reading this you feel somewhat better...? sorry it's so long

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-19-2016 at 11:38 AM..

Old 02-18-2016, 10:33 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,592,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Really Gringo?
I'm a Texas Democrat and as much as I'd like to hope you're right, all indications I see are he's got the GOP Primary in his pocket and if he's on the GOP ticket, it'll take Texas in the General.
(conversely, Hillary can beat a GOP ticket without Cruz or Bush, but I digress)

Cruz may have a slight edge as a favorite son, but not as strongly as most would think.

As far as the general election in November, whoever is on the GOP ticket will beat whoever is on the Dem side by a wide margin. All this talk I hear of "Texas turning purple" comes from fools who likely have never been to TX and sure as heck don't live here. With each election cycle, TX goes deeper red.

Just look at who we elected as gov.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:44 AM

3,865 posts, read 1,804,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post

and yet, **** all of us, by charging top dollar for their products.

What bothers me are the people, who ignore all this...and continue to pay...when in fact we are being ***** financially.
Hi cremebrulee, can you please go back and edit those words, it's extremely disrespectful to others.

Kasich is by far the most level headed candidate the republicans have right now.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:45 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,983,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Cruz may have a slight edge as a favorite son, but not as strongly as most would think.

As far as the general election in November, whoever is on the GOP ticket will beat whoever is on the Dem side by a wide margin. All this talk I hear of "Texas turning purple" comes from fools who likely have never been to TX and sure as heck don't live here. With each election cycle, TX goes deeper red.

Just look at who we elected as gov.
Nobody votes in Texas though. There are huge numbers of couch potatoes in Texas. So it goes increasingly red because people dont vote. Start to mobilize the non-traditionals and the couch potatoes and it can go blue fairly quickly.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:50 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,983,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
Kasich is by far the most level headed candidate the republicans have right now.
That says alot when we look at his donor list (its a who's who of the people who crashed the economy) and his extreme anti-worker positions and his stance on abortion.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:55 AM

3,865 posts, read 1,804,848 times
PCALMIKE when you say Kasich is anti worker what are you referring to? Last I heard Ohio is up 400,000 plus jobs.

not sure of his stance on women's rights concerning abortion but ALL politicians need to stay away from that topic its the woman's right to choose what to do with her body, period. Rubio is the one I hear the most talk about this.

Old 02-18-2016, 12:36 PM

21,492 posts, read 10,609,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Trump is not doing anything that any other candidate in the past hasn't done....and, he doesn't attack anyone unless they attack him and they have...if you were following that you would know. He isn't fighting dirty, he is fighting like a 3rd grader....and no one else shares a lot of details about what they are going to do. In the beginning, when Trump started to run he was very vocal about what he was going to do, just like Herman Cain was...(their policies are pretty much the same) and the GOP's started really attacking him and his behavior...even the news media chimmed in. Then when they all saw that people were not putting up with it or believing it, they all started to parrot him and say the very same things. If Trump has done anything, he has upset the entire establishment and helped to wake people up. I don't know if he's going to make America so great, but he seems to have a big heart and care? Money and economy to me, will be his biggest win....he is old school, believing you have to work for what you want and that scares everyone who wants a free ride.

So have I, but then I think, whats worse, a lier who is bought a paid for, who is simply telling us what we want to hear, or a harmless big hearted person who puts no filter on his words. I'm still with Trump...b/c if anyone else gets in and they win, it will just be like Bush's politics all over again and he did nothing....and Jeb is a big baby...plus, many people don't know this, but way back when I was young and obeying the law held weight and people were held accountable for not obeying the law....Jebb married his illegal wife...and I was crushed and shocked at the same time...why? Because you just didn't ignore laws...and stay in politics, or at least I thought so...that was the beginning of an awakening for me.

No, he isn't bad, however, he wants to do away with social security..which sucks, I paid into social security all my life....He wants to give amnesty...No way!!! that slaps my girlfriend in the face who came to this country, worked very hard to learn the language put herself thru school by herself, and now is an American citizen. I don't want people in this county who don't obey our laws.

Listen, you cannot, ignore laws b/c you feel sorry for people...b/c when you do, you open the flood gates to every other person who your supposed to feel sorry for....and it's wrong, it's against the law, they are illegals, and it's not just Mexican....You have illegals here for all over the world now...enough is enough, they can round them up thru law enforcement....and send them back...but it's got to be done...and BTW, all the companies here in the U.S. have been using them as slave labor....reaping the benefits, without paying them benefits....they've had enough time to save money and yet, rape all of us, by charging top dollar for their products.

Back when gas was high, they raised the price of food, like they always do, however, the price never goes back down...it continually is going up....enough is enough!

What bothers me are the people, who ignore all this...and continue to pay...when in fact we are being raped financially.

I hope after reading this you feel somewhat better...? sorry it's so long
Trump's immigration and trade stance is what I liked about him. I also liked that he was a fighter, and unapologetic. But it's getting too ridiculous now. His fight with Meghyn Kelly (calling her a bimbo and accusing her of being on her period one time).

His feud with Ted Cruz, even threatening to sue him over political ads (and I cannot stand Ted Cruz, but it's silly to engage in this type of feud). And the silly feuds he has at the debates, making them all seem ridiculous. Trump is like the one bad seed in an office who makes everyone mean and turns the relationships toxic, and then once that person is gone the entire office is different.

The comments about killing family members of terrorists (even I have mentioned that Obama himself has killed family members with drone strikes, but the comment was so open-ended it sounded dictator-ish and ripe for abuse even though I don't think he would actually do that stuff).

The initial comment that got him so much attention was even over-the-top, saying Mexico is sending us their rapists, murderers, etc. Then he said some of them are nice I'm sure, but not very convincingly. I'm pretty sure he doesn't think all Mexicans are murderers or rapists, but a serious candidate shouldn't say something like that.

I haven't really looked into all of Kasich's positions, but I will before I ever pull the lever for him. Was his stance on social security from back in the '90s? But I'm with you on Social Security. We need to fix it, but I prefer Bernie Sanders' method over reducing benefits.

Sometimes I wish we could make a candidate with all the different parts we like in each of the current candidates and stick them together and create a perfect candidate, al la Weird Science.

Old 02-18-2016, 03:31 PM

21,492 posts, read 10,609,387 times
Oh, and I forgot that another thing that really bothers me about Trump is that when he fights back against something it is always personal. He hits back with she's a bimbo or she has an ugly face or he's a terrible person and literally no one likes him.

That is something a little kid would do, or someone who can't think of a really substantive reason to criticize someone. It is not presidential or even good for a businessman. Since he has managed to do well in business, I can only assume he isn't that way normally, or they do business much differently in New York. Or that he wants to do enough to have these massive rallies but not enough to actually get elected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections