Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 11:40 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,219,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Exactly, and this is a very valid opinion. Why others refuse to acknowledge the dishonesty and fakeness of Clinton is beyond my comprehension.

She has the same funders and support of the Republican candidates many of her supporters seem to be so petrified by. That makes no sense.
Yes, why oh why could someone possibly have a different opinion than you??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 11:43 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,964,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
What part of her platform draws you in? I find her platform ambiguous. Maybe you don't. What about it do you like? Not how can we beat Republicans what about her do you like?

Old 02-22-2016, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
What part of her platform draws you in? I find her platform ambiguous. Maybe you don't. What about it do you like? Not how can we beat Republicans what about her do you like?
To start off with, I haven't been brainwashed by the decades worth of right wing lies about her. Anyone who denies that this exists is being disingenuous at the least, more like dishonest. So much of the crap that floats around about her originates there.

More specifically, I think she is beyond qualified, with a breadth of experience few bring. It's not that it's a requirement for the job and we've elected many presidents with less experience, but I'm not going to pretend it's not an asset.

She has a deep understanding of the issues and detailed plans - not all of which will get implemented, of course, but at least I know where she wants to try to head. I think she's correct on some of the places where she and Bernie disagree, such as needing to go well beyond banks and reinstating Glass Steagel to get to many of the significant players in the financial area. I think her pragmatic approach to building on the ACA is realistic and has a much greater chance of success than ever achieving single payer in our current climate. I think debt free college makes more sense than tuition free college while still increasing accessibility. On many other issues, their positions are the same, so nothing to choose between them on.

Hillary's been working on issues I care deeply about for decades. And frankly, yes, I do think Bernie is a bit too one note. Everything ultimately comes down to Wall Street and economic justice for him. Yeah, he mentions other issues in his stump speech, but where is the evidence that he has worked hard and invested political capital in them over the years? I don't care what he was doing in 1963, I care what he was doing in 2013.

She's better on gun issues, which is a top issue for me. Bernie has been politically expedient on that because he even admits it would be an electoral issue for him in Vermont. He takes a big hit in my book on that.

And yes, she's a woman. I'm proud to admit that is part of the appeal. No one considered it problematic that Obama was a transformational candidate because he was black, and that people were inspired by the idea that they could look at a president who looked like them. Well, I want to look at a president who looks like me. There's nothing wrong with that IMO, as long as the person is otherwise qualified and shares my political sensibilities. Of course I didn't vote for Sarah Palin as VP because she is a woman nor would I have voted for Carly Fiorina. But once you get past having all the knowledge and experience and history of working for important issues like starting the path towards universal health care in the 1990s, the fact that I get to vote for a woman with her qualifications makes me, and many other women like me, feel VERY inspired.

Old 02-22-2016, 12:22 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,943,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
^^^^Ding ding ding.

The thing is that neither of us are speculating about this either. She has a 3 decade track record of such including helping to push NAFTA...which is why so many unions endorsed Obama. Do people forget stuff like that?

I remember her populist tripe about taking oil company profits too....then she took them as campaign donations. lol.
Yep, most people are either ignorant or intellectually dishonest.

She defines political corruption, and funny enough Trump was a supporter of hers for years yet people now use him as a reason to vote FOR Hillary. What?

Trump has spent years courting Hillary and other Dems - POLITICO

Old 02-22-2016, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I never said anything to that effect. I know people have differences of opinion.

What confuses me is WHY someone would support corruption and dishonesty when there is a candidate running that has more integrity and is more honest than any other recent major candidate.

Even people that vehemently disagree with Sanders acknowledge that he is heartfelt and honest.

Honesty is not a word I have ever heard to describe either Bill or Shillary Clinton.

Why do we keep electing the same two families to the highest political office? People are sick and tired of the Bush/Clinton dynasty and the lies that come with it.

Old 02-22-2016, 12:30 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,966,079 times
Quote:
I never said anything to that effect. I know people have differences of opinion.

What confuses me is WHY someone would support corruption and dishonesty when there is a candidate running that has more integrity and is more honest than any other recent major candidate.

Even people that disagree with Sanders acknowledge that he is heartfelt and honest.
The worst part is that almost no Democrat I speak to when we talk about the issues disagree with Sanders. They never attack him from the right, even though she claims to be more right wing and centrist. The only issue where Hillary is slightly more progressive is on guns and in fact thats the only issue I've heard Democrats voice opposition to Sanders when it comes to the issues. It really is a deeply anti-democratic system we have in America. Way too many people dont vote for what they support.

Old 02-22-2016, 12:30 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,736,593 times
Quote:

Even people that vehemently disagree with Sanders acknowledge that he is heartfelt and honest.

Honesty is not a word I have ever heard to describe either Bill or Shillary Clinton.

Why do we keep electing the same two families to the highest political office? People are sick and tired of the Bush/Clinton dynasty and the lies that come with it.
He is that, but much like Ted Cruz, Bernie over promises and he knows it, even if his supporters don't. Given the climate with the Congress right now, I don't see how he'll be able to accomplish any of them.

Old 02-22-2016, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Except this is an opinion, not a fact.

Quote:
Even people that disagree with Sanders acknowledge that he is heartfelt and honest.
Not really. I think he's reasonably honest, but I also think he's a politician and has been politically expedient when it suits him.

He claims credit when it's not due, like saying he helped write the Affordable Care Act
Bernie Sanders exaggerates with claim that he helped write Obamacare | PolitiFact

Claiming he's been in favor of same sex marriage for decades when the reality is that he didn't speak out in favor until 2009 and at least as recently as 2006, was opposed to SSM in favor of civil unions.

Bernie Sanders: Gay Marriage Record Not as Simple As He Says

And his lack of integrity with campaign ads and mailings, claiming and/or implying endorsements he hadn't received.

So no, bottom line is that I do not agree with your OPINION that Bernie has more integrity and is more honest.

Old 02-22-2016, 12:33 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,288,761 times
Every election people claim this and every election it turns out to be false. Bernies supporters will vote for Clinton in the end.

Old 02-22-2016, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
The worst part is that almost no Democrat I speak to when we talk about the issues disagree with Sanders. They never attack him from the right, even though she claims to be more right wing and centrist. The only issue where Hillary is slightly more progressive is on guns and in fact thats the only issue I've heard Democrats voice opposition to Sanders when it comes to the issues. It really is a deeply anti-democratic system we have in America. Way too many people dont vote for what they support.
Some liberals I've talked to think Bernie is too pro-Israel and would continue wars in the Middle East.

I don't disagree with that, but Hillary is proven to be a MUCH bigger war-monger.

At the end of the day, foreign policy is the biggest effect a President has and one of the only things they have direct control over. Hillary is similar to OBushMa in that regard and would continue the disastrous and inhumane wars, possibly even expanding them further into Syria and Iran. She is DANGEROUS as far as I'm concerned. Being Anti-War I would NEVER vote for her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections