Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 11:34 AM

2,630 posts, read 1,457,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
The bottom line is that Trump can lose Texas and still come out very well on Tuesday which he most certainly is expected to do. Even if Cruz wins Texas, he has no other place to go in accumulating delegates. All Texas will do is keep Cruz in the race for an indeterminate period of time splitting the votes in states after Super Tuesday to Trumps benefit.
That's the realistic scenario, not just wishful thinking.
That and now both GOP pundits and strategists are talking about a Rubio/Cruz coalition to stop Trump. It is now being posed that Reagan/Bush were able to put aside differences to win, so why not Rubio and Cruz?

Old 02-28-2016, 11:36 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,294,241 times
Cruz has unperformed in the last few states. I'm not sure he will win, and don't think it will be by much if he does.

Old 02-28-2016, 11:39 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,676,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Seems to me that good strategy for Trump is to let Cruz win Tx. It won't score him much in net delegates, and it keeps him in the race where he will continue to split votes with Rubio.

Rubio steps down after March1.. Super Tuesday.
Ted gets it all.

Old 02-28-2016, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
The bottom line is that Trump can lose Texas and still come out very well on Tuesday which he most certainly is expected to do. Even if Cruz wins Texas, he has no other place to go in accumulating delegates. All Texas will do is keep Cruz in the race for an indeterminate period of time splitting the votes in states after Super Tuesday to Trumps benefit.
That's the realistic scenario, not just wishful thinking.

It will likely knock Rubio out if he can't win any states though. He is far behind in the more moderate states like Virginia, Massachusetts, and Vermont. Most of the other states *sans Texas* have him behind too. The rest of the states don't have much polling. Minnesota is a state Rubio would need to win, but it's last poll was from before Iowa, and so far talk on the ground suggests Trump is the main candidate being discussed in the pre caucus meetings leading up to them. If Rubio doesn't win a state then he is pretty much toast. The only hope he has is that his debate performance cause other people to rally around him during Super Tuesday.

Old 02-28-2016, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Ted gets it all.
Honestly, I can't see most Rubio supporters joining Ted. He get the bulk of his support from more liberal and moderate conservatives. Whereas Cruz gets all of his support from the Very Conservative element. Doesn't seem likely for Cruz to appeal to many of them at all. Most of them will likely go to Trump, Kacish, or simply not vote. And considering Rubio has been peeling off Cruz supporters, and not vice versa, that seems rooted in some truth.

Old 02-28-2016, 11:46 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Ted gets it all.
you certainly don't really mean that?

Old 02-28-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you certainly don't really mean that?
If you read BentBows posts you would know that he/she does mean that.

Old 02-28-2016, 11:58 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
Honestly, I can't see most Rubio supporters joining Ted. He get the bulk of his support from more liberal and moderate conservatives. Whereas Cruz gets all of his support from the Very Conservative element. Doesn't seem likely for Cruz to appeal to many of them at all. Most of them will likely go to Trump, Kacish, or simply not vote. And considering Rubio has been peeling off Cruz supporters, and not vice versa, that seems rooted in some truth.
You seem to have a pretty good hold on what may happen if Rubio was to pull out, but I don't see why anyone would think he would even consider this right now.

It is amazing, the Trump groupies, who were just saying, a few days ago there was every possibility Trump would win Texas are now saying, well it does not make much difference. In fact it might be best of Cruz wins, which is it?

I will be anxious to see what the reports are on Cruz rally held this morning at one of the mega churches here in NWA. Yesterday Trump had his at our airport; the paper reported about 5,000 people were on hand. Rubio had his last night at a mega church here, but not anything like the church Cruz visited this morning. The reports were about 2,000 attended Rubio's rally. Our latest polls show the three in a statistical dead heat here.

Old 02-28-2016, 12:10 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,766,127 times
I never expected Trump to win Texas. That's an extremely red state. I lived in TX for a year, and while that may not be a long time, it is because of that experience that it wouldn't surprise me if Cruz won. A win would put Cruz "back in it", because the last time I read, he was 2nd place. Cruz would not drop out after a win, for sure, and yes that would take delegates away from Rubio, which I have zero problems with, but if he won, he would not be dropping out any time soon. Of course, anything is possible in this election cycle. Trump could win, Cruz could win. Either way, it's a flippin' nail biter.

I don't like speculating. People are wrong all the time, even when "the math" tells them that someone can't win. It's happened before. It's nice to see that people believe Trump will win the nomination, but we have a long way to go, and there's a lot of dirty, underhanded things left still for the GOP to pull out to attack Trump. This isn't over by a long shot.

It's fine to be happy (gloat) when he wins, but don't get crazy about it...remember the GOP hates Trump...don't forget that part.

Old 02-28-2016, 12:16 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,437,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
I agree,I don't see Rubio pulling out but if he did I don't see it benefiting Cruz much if at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections