Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 09:46 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,910,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post
Rubio and Kasich both need to get out before Ohio and Florida vote on the 15th for Cruz to have a fighting chance. And he's obviously the only one that does have a chance of winning the nomination besides Trump. Actually, they should really get out immediately because Michigan votes next week and they have quite a few delegates.

Ironic that the Republicans have the most conservative, principled candidate they've had in a very long time, and they are turning their backs on him because he refused to become part of the corrupt D.C. political monster that has not been working in the best interests of our citizens. Fools.
Outside the Bible Belt, Cruz is virtually nothing. He's full of bluster, but he's strictly a regional candidate.

Principled? Cruz doesn't know the meaning of the word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 09:51 AM

451 posts, read 465,190 times
In a theoretical mano-e-mano showdown, Rubio would do better than Cruz against Trump from here forward. Many of the late-deciders broke for Rubio yesterday. He has more appeal than Cruz in the big industrial states that haven't voted yet.

Old 03-02-2016, 10:04 AM

2,157 posts, read 1,442,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
Rubio has to win Florida. If he does, he can (and will) win the nomination. If he doesn't, you're looking at Trump as the nominee.
No. No. NO. I'm fairly certain Rubio will be throwing everything and the kitchen sink at Florida now. He will falsely play up that Trump is racist, he will speak rehearsed Spanish to certain audiences, he will desperately pander while paying 40-50 million of other people's money in advertising. With all that, he will be lucky to squeak out a victory in his home state. Because of his poor record, I don't think he will win in Florida, but even if he does it will mean he loses everywhere else.

Old 03-02-2016, 10:11 AM

30,254 posts, read 23,725,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straight shooter View Post
Doesn't surprise me considering he gave a victory speech after coming in third in most states.
If only those other people hadn't been on the ballots, he would have won.

Old 03-02-2016, 10:17 AM

29,214 posts, read 22,351,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknwhiterose View Post
In a theoretical mano-e-mano showdown, Rubio would do better than Cruz against Trump from here forward. Many of the late-deciders broke for Rubio yesterday. He has more appeal than Cruz in the big industrial states that haven't voted yet.
Maybe.
But Rubio has real problems that Trump doesn't have.

For a year, he's shown nothing special to the voters. All he was going to do was reverse everything Obama did, and every one of the Republican candidates said that, but none of them skipped out of their responsibilities to stick around and do their job as much as Marco did.

He might not have thought that shirking his duty was a big deal, but Floridians have noticed. So has the rest of the country now.

It wasn't until Christie went kamikaze on him and humiliated him that Marco snapped out of it, and even then, he humiliated himself before it finally sunk in that he needed another approach.

He had to be led by the hand and pointed out to Trump as the guy he needed to pay attention to. And had to be given a script to follow to boot. Romney was slow, but he was never paralyzed. Paralysis seems to be Rubio's natural mental state.

Is this the sign of someone who's supposed to be an intelligent young leader of his party? I don't think so.

Old 03-02-2016, 10:28 AM

2,886 posts, read 5,821,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
If only those other people hadn't been on the ballots, he would have won.
Yeah, I remember that one.

Old 03-02-2016, 10:31 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,902,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
Yeah, I can't forsee that at all. I can see the opposite being true. Cruz supporters drifting to Rubio. Cruz only wins very conservative voters. Rubio does well among conservative, somewhat Conservative, and moderate voters. The conservative voters might head to Cruz, but the somewhat and moderate voters will either go to Trump or Kasich. Cruz did decent last night, but very few of the remaining contests are friendly to him.
Nonsense. Two HUGE factors behind Cruz supporters are illegal immigration, and "Death to the Establishment".
Rubio is Mr. Amnesty, and Mr. Establishment. (Plus he's not conservative).
Many, many Cruz supporters are like me........will vote for Rubio when hell freezes over.

Last edited by maineguy8888; 03-02-2016 at 10:43 AM..

Old 03-02-2016, 10:39 AM

30,254 posts, read 23,725,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Nonsense. Two HUGE factors behind Cruz supporters are illegal immigration, and "Death to the Establishment".
Rubio is Mr. Amnesty, and Mr. Establishment. (Plus he's note conservative).
Many, many Cruz supporters are like me........will vote for Rubio when hell freezes over.
This is correct. Those who support him do want illegal immigration taken care of, they do NOT want amnesty and they do not agree with Rubio's stance. A LOT of Cruz supporters absolutely despise Rubio. Not voting for Cruz doesn't automatically mean a vote for Rubio at. all.

Old 03-02-2016, 10:40 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,902,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
Cruz can't beat Trump in Ohio or Florida one on one against Trump......Cruz only does well in the very conservative South except Florida.

The rest of the states up North and Northern East and West Coast doesn't look good for Cruz....those are moderate/independent voter states.

sorry, Cruz is too religious to win in the general...everytime he speaks he sounds like a evangelical preacher and only needs the bible on one hand and a big cross necklace on his chest to complete the picture....that's why he does poorly in all the states outside the bible belt.
I did not know that Alaska was in the Bible Belt. Huh. Learn something new every day!

Also, Iowa is far from deep South. Cruz also did well in Minnesota of all places (29%, beat Trump), and got 25% in Tennessee which is not deep South

Old 03-02-2016, 10:42 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,578,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Rubio is Mr. Amnesty, and Mr. Establishment. (Plus he's note conservative).
Interesting, but I think the Cruz supporters are both Religious and antigovernment while Trump supporters are anti-establishment and anti-immigrant.

Personally I find Cruz the most dangerous candidate because he is smart and uncaring - people who don't think like him can literally go to hell in his eyes. I don't believe that anyone who cares about the stock market, women's rights, their fellow man/woman is going to vote for Cruz (but perhaps that is wishful thinking).

Despite Trump's shortcomings (or perhaps because of them) I don't see much chance of him getting beat by either Cruz or Rubio unless the Republican party stages a coup and delegate defect en masse.

If that happens we are going to see the biggest schism in the party since the Civil War and no telling now where that will lead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections