Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 07:49 PM

26,580 posts, read 14,509,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
However, I do remember Napolitano commenting on it if you want to do a search.
i found a transcript of the napolitano interview. in this one he's only discussing the legal aspects ( both criminal and civil ) of the grabbing, not the possible slander/defamation that happened afterwards. here's part of it:

"Not every unconsented to touching is a crime. You’re in a crowd. Somebody wants to get past you that is something you expect in that environment. I don’t know if she had any permanent injury. She had a bruise but that is probably not sufficient for a civil lawsuit but I’m happy that the prosecutor dropped this."

Judge Napolitano on Michelle Fields Case:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
I read several legal experts opinions on this,....
here we go. i'm finding some legal opinion on the topic :

Can Michelle Fields Win Defamation Case Lewandowski? | LawNewz

Old 04-17-2016, 08:05 PM

from the link:

"Bottom line: not necessarily a losing case for [fields] but a difficult one with the odds in [lewandowski's] favor."

it will be interesting to see if she goes for it.

Old 04-17-2016, 08:30 PM

and another opinion:

"Cornell University Law School professor Jeffrey Rachlinski agrees Fields would face an uphill battle if she files a defamation lawsuit but says he sees a potential path forward if a lawsuit were to survive a defense motion for summary judgment.

“The most plausible claims are for statements made about events that the parties had direct involvement with,” he says. “That is, Lewandowski's claim that he never touched her is the most likely to have been made with actual malice. “

Trump, Handsy Aide Still Could Lose Defamation Lawsuit if Michelle Fields Sues - US News

Old 04-17-2016, 08:34 PM

9,154 posts, read 5,830,645 times
I don't see how she has a case.
The "almost threw me to the ground"
thingy comes off as "delusional" to me.

Old 04-17-2016, 09:03 PM

12,391 posts, read 7,125,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
from the link:

"Bottom line: not necessarily a losing case for [fields] but a difficult one with the odds in [lewandowski's] favor."

it will be interesting to see if she goes for it.
If a lawsuit moves forward, start a new thread about it, but until then, it's time to let this non-story go.

Old 04-18-2016, 03:51 AM

9,915 posts, read 9,645,929 times
Quote:
again, the state attorney directly stated that lewandowski did grab fields but it was justifiable as a defense to a perceived danger to trump.
That is different than assaulting someone. that is self protection (or in this case protecting Mr Trump) If a mugger goes to grab me, and i put my hand on his arm to protect myself, that is not assault, it is self defense.

Old 04-18-2016, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
That is different than assaulting someone. that is self protection (or in this case protecting Mr Trump) ...
i'm not arguing that point. originally i did believe that lewandowski overstepped his bounds but hearing from the secret service ( thru the state attorney ) that campaign staff can work with SS agents on security i'm content with the state attorney's decision.

what the civil defamation case hinges on now is lewandowski's claim that he never touched fields.

Old 04-18-2016, 10:09 AM

19,904 posts, read 12,191,408 times
Quote:
i'm not arguing that point. originally i did believe that lewandowski overstepped his bounds but hearing from the secret service ( thru the state attorney ) that campaign staff can work with SS agents on security i'm content with the state attorney's decision.

what the civil defamation case hinges on now is lewandowski's claim that he never touched fields.
Finally!!! Seriously, why are you so obsessed with this non story?

Old 04-18-2016, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Seriously, why are you so obsessed with this non story?
because it's so absurdly comical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections