Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 11:37 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,920,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskywalker View Post
Yeah. I'm sorry but it's true. They don't realize the degree to which he's not really on the "little guys" side. Not at all. And some are ignorant and some are too lacking in intelligence to realize what's the h is going on.
It's not like trump isn't part of the establishment. He is.
He's just not part of the political establishment.
Exactly. Great response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 12:00 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,745,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
I believe that is what you think if you are saying it here, I'm happy to take your word for it however I have a very hard time believing that the majority of Sanders supporters are any different than the Trump supporters in that they all pretty much believe what they are being told.
I think it's fair to say that overall, Sanders supporters are more educated and more capable of critical thinking. That may sound elitist but i do believe it's so. People tend to resonate with like minds / like hearts.

Old 03-21-2016, 12:04 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,167,739 times
Quote:
I think it's fair to say that overall, Sanders supporters are more educated and more capable of critical thinking. That may sound elitist but i do believe it's so. People tend to resonate with like minds / like hearts.

If they are so great at critical thinking; show us how spending more is going to reduce the debt? Show us how bringing in more job competition will put more Americans back to work? Or show us how this new wave of competition will help our graduates find work? Perhaps I'm stupid; but I see no working game plan - just higher taxes and more burden.

Old 03-21-2016, 12:12 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,985,902 times
Quote:
I don't know, for the most part you sound pretty reasonable, but I have a hard time with the Sanders supporters I've seen interviewed and asked questions. Seems more emotional than logical/critical thinking, but I should probably not try to judge a whole group....just saying I don't see it from my perspective though. Especially in the financial perspective, sounds like a lot of well intended programs that aren't based in financial reality. I mean its hard to say things like free education and health care are "bad" but I can't agree with them when the path to get there is so much in question.

Old 03-21-2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
If they are so great at critical thinking; show us how spending more is going to reduce the debt? Show us how bringing in more job competition will put more Americans back to work? Or show us how this new wave of competition will help our graduates find work? Perhaps I'm stupid; but I see no working game plan - just higher taxes and more burden.
https://berniesanders.com/issues/

And what is trumps "game plan"? Exactly.

Old 03-21-2016, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
I don't know, for the most part you sound pretty reasonable, but I have a hard time with the Sanders supporters I've seen interviewed and asked questions. Seems more emotional than logical/critical thinking, but I should probably not try to judge a whole group....just saying I don't see it from my perspective though. Especially in the financial perspective, sounds like a lot of well intended programs that aren't based in financial reality. I mean its hard to say things like free education and health care are "bad" but I can't agree with them when the path to get there is so much in question.
I think everyone is a bit (just a bit ) emotional about this election. However, i think that trump is exploiting emotions more than any other candidate i've ever seen (or heard about).
All politicians to some degree do so. But trump is exploiting a very emotional and reactive AND undereducated, uninformed, unsophisticated group of people in a very intentional and cynical way. It's very disturbing.

And like i just said in another post, trump is part of the establishment! He's just not part of the political establishment. If he was part of the political establishment (and if hadn't been a reality t.v. personality ) he would not be where he is now. He would have been one of the first of those 16? originals who weren't even allowed into the debates. He would have been a laughable and forgettable blip in this election cycle.

People think that just because he's never been a politician he is somehow a heroic rebel against the system. And that by supporting him they too are heroically rebelling against an obviously corrupt system in Washington. B.S.!
It's blind and reactive rebellion that is entirely lacking in skillfulness and intelligence.
He's hoodwinking a lot of people. And what's so creepy is that, despite what they think, he's not for the "little guy". Not at all.

Old 03-21-2016, 01:01 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,948,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
We have one local community college that has a 14% graduation rate. Of course you can argue that the graduation rate would improve if students did not have to worry about money. However, if students did not worry about money, more would go that would not attend because of financial reasons. But college is not for everybody; some student will never be college material and some would only attend to party their way to a sheep skin.

Then you have the problem of where are these new graduates going to work? Sanders has one of the worst records on immigration; he is basically an open borders politician and, at the same time, welcomes plenty of legal immigration. His record is giving other nations first pick at the jobs that our students would go to college to attain - so why waste that time and money?

Many of our states, cities and municipalities are in financial crisis. Most of that is because of public pension money. To provide even more pension money, for more educators, would be the straw that broke the camels back.

While you think that Wall Street will pay for everything: The rich have no loyalty; they will move money, buildings, offices, factories wherever they can to save one dollar. I believe, if you check Sanders' own calculations, he is not talking about raising trillions or does he really address the rising public pension money with his 'free' education. The bulk of the taxes would still fall on the shrinking middle-class.

I did not even toss in Sanders will for free medical and, of course, who do you think would benefit and who do you think would pay?
I think we need more vocational training in this country, beginning in high school or even grade school so I agree that not everyone needs to go to College-but anybody should have the opportunity to go regardless of how rich their family is. That was the whole point of "Public Colleges" which did used to be "free" in many places. Even private colleges that now cost $50,000 or more per year used to be extremely affordable in comparison just a few decades ago. Bernie's point is that a College degree today is the equivalent of a high school diploma a few decades ago in the workforce so we need to rethink "Public Schooling" and educating our workforce, including high school/grade school which too often teach children what to think, not how to think-which would give them tools to decide after high school whether to pursue vocational training or higher education.

The Pension issue is due to Government corruption, yet again-don't believe the lies. In case after case employees paid their share on what was contractually agreed upon but Government stole funds/didn't keep the pensions funded as they were contractually agreed to. Now years later they throw up their hands and demand cuts, when they didn't pay their share all along.

We need immigration reform absolutely-I think Bernie understands that but he is taking a more compassionate approach. Many refugees, from Honduras for example, are here because of US influence/meddling/wars, including Hillary Clinton approving of the recent military coup there and legitimizing the new President that has caused so much destruction and terror.

I disagree that the rich would abandon this country-which still has the largest consumer group on the planet and is still the wealthiest nation in the World. Where would they go? Europe-and pay A LOT more in taxes?

Old 03-21-2016, 01:07 PM

Quote:
I think everyone is a bit (just a bit ) emotional about this election. However, i think that trump is exploiting emotions more than any other candidate i've ever seen (or heard about).
All politicians to some degree do so. But trump is exploiting a very emotional and reactive AND undereducated, uninformed, unsophisticated group of people in a very intentional and cynical way. It's very disturbing.

And like i just said in another post, trump is part of the establishment! He's just not part of the political establishment. If he was part of the political establishment (and if hadn't been a reality t.v. personality ) he would not be where he is now. He would have been one of the first of those 16? originals who weren't even allowed into the debates. He would have been a laughable and forgettable blip in this election cycle.

People think that just because he's never been a politician he is somehow a heroic rebel against the system. And that by supporting him they too are heroically rebelling against an obviously corrupt system in Washington. B.S.!
It's blind and reactive rebellion that is entirely lacking in skillfulness and intelligence.
He's hoodwinking a lot of people. And what's so creepy is that, despite what they think, he's not for the "little guy". Not at all.

I guess this is where you and I probably disagree, but I don't see much difference between Trump and Sanders in terms of the approach/exploitation. I mean he is telling a bunch of college age kids who are vulnerable to a future of massive debt and poor job prospects that he is going to fix it by giving it to them for free through a tax on big bad Wall Street. Additionally he is telling people who are either underemployed, or struggling to get by that he is going to make sure he gets them free health care and double their pay if they are making minimum wage. To me that reeks of manipulation and taking advantage of some people in bad situations. Although its not as volitile as what Trump does/says its still as dangerous because you are setting people up for disappointment and playing with the futures and lives of people.

While I agree that being a reality TV star doesn't equate to being able to sweep right in and become president, I also have to question the credentials of someone (Sanders) who has been in politics for 40 years yet hasn't even come close to moving the needle on any of the things he is making promises about.

Bottom line is that I just cant get behind either because I find their promises to be empty and intentionally misleading knowing that they won't be able to do nearly even a fraction of what they claim they will.

I'd love to see a candidate talk about figuring out how to address the COST of health care and education rather than trying to throw money at it first. I mean why are these two essential items subject to inflation that seems to skyrocket in comparison to everything else? To me thats the real problem that someone should be working on...but I'm off topic now, I guess.

Old 03-21-2016, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I think we need more vocational training in this country, beginning in high school or even grade school so I agree that not everyone needs to go to College-but anybody should have the opportunity to go regardless of how rich their family is. That was the whole point of "Public Colleges" which did used to be "free" in many places. Even private colleges that now cost $50,000 or more per year used to be extremely affordable in comparison just a few decades ago. Bernie's point is that a College degree today is the equivalent of a high school diploma a few decades ago in the workforce so we need to rethink "Public Schooling" and educating our workforce, including high school/grade school which too often teach children what to think, not how to think-which would give them tools to decide after high school whether to pursue vocational training or higher education.

The Pension issue is due to Government corruption, yet again-don't believe the lies. In case after case employees paid their share on what was contractually agreed upon but Government stole funds/didn't keep the pensions funded as they were contractually agreed to. Now years later they throw up their hands and demand cuts, when they didn't pay their share all along.

We need immigration reform absolutely-I think Bernie understands that but he is taking a more compassionate approach. Many refugees, from Honduras for example, are here because of US influence/meddling/wars, including Hillary Clinton approving of the recent military coup there and legitimizing the new President that has caused so much destruction and terror.

I disagree that the rich would abandon this country-which still has the largest consumer group on the planet and is still the wealthiest nation in the World. Where would they go? Europe-and pay A LOT more in taxes?
Totally agree about the vocational training. Would save kids from so much debt and put them on a very good path to being debt free middle to high income earners. I really REALLY think we need to add something to our educational system that addresses personal finance for kids though for grades K-12. If people don't understand basic finances they will have a much harder time being self reliant and weathering any economic downfalls that we inevitably suffer now and then.

I wouldn't say the pension issue is only due to government corruption though. Private companies had plenty do do with it on their end too. Pensions just aren't sustainable in my opinion. Pensions by definition guarantee replacement of income, and the recipient bears no risk. That seems like an unsustainable model. I'm all for 401k plans and other retirement vehicles for everyone so that they have skin in the game and a legitimate say in their future.

Old 03-21-2016, 01:18 PM

7,740 posts, read 5,526,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I think we need more vocational training in this country, beginning in high school or even grade school so I agree that not everyone needs to go to College-but anybody should have the opportunity to go regardless of how rich their family is.
I know you grew up here, but did Philadelphia not provide every student to go to the vocational schools? I know in Bucks, there are three vocational high schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections