Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 03:37 PM

1,070 posts, read 2,031,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
You may want to revisit these wto articles/quotes if you are going to study and read about the taxes and likely impacts.
Yes, I have read the pros and cons. I've also observed this topic being discussed on numerous message boards. Sure, you can make a case both ways. We each have the ability, after studying the issue, to come to our own conclusions.

I've been a union member all my working life and retired as a member the ATU which endorses Sanders. The AFL0-CIO supports the tax and made some compelling reasons why in one of their publications once. Even Hillary has a lesser version of the tax in her proposals.

I remember listening to Bill Gates once when he made comments on the tax and why it wouldn't have that much of an impact on 401k's and smaller investors and at the time, it made sense. Both Gates and Warren Buffett lean toward Sanders but will not actually endorse him.

Here are some articles that will discuss those same points that your reference pointed to, including the failed Swedish example.

A Really Small Wall Street Tax Can Make a Really Big Difference

A Tax to Curb Excessive Trading Could Be a Boon to Returns

Why Tax Wall Street

The Case for Taxing Securities Transactions

The tax that could save America from Wall Street

Again, we all must make our own decisions after doing the research. Yes, there are many critics but there are also some compelling reasons why the tax makes sense. We still have the freedom to come to our own conclusions. Hopefully, it will stay that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 06:05 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,924,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Definitely agree on the first part. What happened to home economics and shop?
I'd argue that comes from having to take two years of foreign languages, three-to-four years of math, three-to-four years of science, four years of English, three-to-four years of Social Studies, four years of gym and a year of "fine arts." I work in a high school and I saw that for a school district with 6 hour long periods, that there are only two true elective you can take in high school.

The world has changed and sadly many districts have eliminated those courses because there is far too much to teach (especially college prep wise,) not enough time to do it in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
How can Sanders, Kasich, Clinton and even Cruz ever be considered an "outsider" when their entire Careers have been in Politics.

Is your family aware that Sanders is proposing over 2 dozen Tax Increases across all Tax Bracket/Income brackets ... even the poorest? When that happens (if it ever happens) - GDP goes in the Tank and everyone loses. Find even ONE analysis that heavily investigates the ramifications and supports his detailed plan. Both Left leaning & Right leaning Tax Policy think tanks are against this.
Sanders is an outsider in that he isn't paid like Kasich, Clinton and Cruz or a payer like Trump. Sanders might have been in politics for his life but he is what the people want him to be and fights for them. The rest of the candidates are for their biggest backers.

As for Sanders' tax increases. Half don't even effect all tax brackets. How often does the middle class make stock transactions? Also lets remember that when we recieve more benefits, we don't hurt from taxes as much. That said, the rich would get a much bigger tax increase than the middle class would even see. The other tax plans just give more and more tax cuts to the rich and on a whole, tax increases to the middle class and an increased debt for many. Most tax policy think tanks show this too.

Quote:
I guess you must be one of those that doesn't have a clue that TeamObama took control of College Loans and put it all under the Control of the Government ..... to pay for Obamacare. It was part of the funding for Obamacare. There are almost no private (bank) loans for College Educations anymore outside of "personal loans" by a few parents with excellent credit ratings.

I've posted this many times over the years. Do a google search for ACA and college loans.
The way to bring down college loans is to bring down college costs - to do that, you have to cut the gravy to colleges and make the loans to students tighter.

On the "Free tuition" stuff .... from putting 2 kids through University educations with ZERO loans, I can tell you that it's not the Tuition that is the killer - it's living expenses and the extras. We started saving for their college education the day they were born.
Perhaps I didn't explain what I meant by Obama's plan. I am talking about free community college. That so we can still have scholarships (athletic and academic) as well as reduce costs for those that have good grades in community college. I went through community college but I didn't get scholarships because middle class white males even with pretty darn good grades (A's & B's) are expected to be able to pay for themselves but if I were not white or male, I instantly wouldn't...

I do agree that bringing down costs are key but a HUGE part of the deal is the states cutting funding to public universities. Arizona is known for this and it has driven costs sky high at ASU, NAU and UofA, so much so a private college like GCU is roughly at the same cost of a "cheap private education". Yet, we at the state level don't want to increase taxes in order to do so.

Old 03-21-2016, 08:14 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,167,739 times
Quote:
I think we need more vocational training in this country, beginning in high school or even grade school so I agree that not everyone needs to go to College-but anybody should have the opportunity to go regardless of how rich their family is. That was the whole point of "Public Colleges" which did used to be "free" in many places. Even private colleges that now cost $50,000 or more per year used to be extremely affordable in comparison just a few decades ago. Bernie's point is that a College degree today is the equivalent of a high school diploma a few decades ago in the workforce so we need to rethink "Public Schooling" and educating our workforce, including high school/grade school which too often teach children what to think, not how to think-which would give them tools to decide after high school whether to pursue vocational training or higher education.

The superintendent of the HS, only about two miles from my house, earns $200,000/year: Public salaries: It pays to be a top-level educator in the Poconos - News - poconorecord.com - Stroudsburg, PA. Our local State college top administrator earns $230,000/year. Education is expensive and getting more expensive as we talk - 'free' cost more every day!

Quote:
The Pension issue is due to Government corruption, yet again-don't believe the lies. In case after case employees paid their share on what was contractually agreed upon but Government stole funds/didn't keep the pensions funded as they were contractually agreed to. Now years later they throw up their hands and demand cuts, when they didn't pay their share all along.

You cannot just blame government because teachers and professors are part of government. Everybody wants more. It is just that the private sector has not kept up with wage increases since the 1970's. Somebody always has to pay, with the shrinking middle-class, Sander's funding is going to have problems.

Quote:
We need immigration reform absolutely-I think Bernie understands that but he is taking a more compassionate approach. Many refugees, from Honduras for example, are here because of US influence/meddling/wars, including Hillary Clinton approving of the recent military coup there and legitimizing the new President that has caused so much destruction and terror.

We have heard cries of compassion before - to see able body men that could belong to radical groups or criminal organizations. We need proper vetting for anybody coming into our Country. Nor should we overlook those that follow our laws immigrating into our nation - it isn't fair to them.

Quote:
I disagree that the rich would abandon this country-which still has the largest consumer group on the planet and is still the wealthiest nation in the World. Where would they go? Europe-and pay A LOT more in taxes?

They don't have to physically abandon the Country; but their wealth could; like it has in the past. Of course they would not chose any nation where they would pay more.

Old 03-21-2016, 11:17 PM

4,907 posts, read 3,365,912 times
Same here. But even with that said, he isn't likely to win the nomination at this point

Old 03-21-2016, 11:25 PM

17,443 posts, read 9,281,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
As for Sanders' tax increases. Half don't even effect all tax brackets. How often does the middle class make stock transactions? Also lets remember that when we recieve more benefits, we don't hurt from taxes as much. That said, the rich would get a much bigger tax increase than the middle class would even see. The other tax plans just give more and more tax cuts to the rich and on a whole, tax increases to the middle class and an increased debt for many. Most tax policy think tanks show this too.
I usually only make stock transactions every 90 days, but some folks do it dozens of times a day. I don't worry about that, but I don't like the door it opens. The second part of the "Transaction Tax" (not on the table yet, but in the playbook) is the "Money tax". That one hits every time money is passed in some way. Save it, spend it, deposit it, withdraw it .... touch it in any way & it's taxed. It's true that the "Evil Rich" (did anyone ever decide how much equals RICH?) do get a bigger % increase, but all brackets get an increase and they will feel the pinch more. The worst are the new payroll taxes and taxes on health insurance -- those will hit the middle/lower classes the hardest. I'm no tax expert, but I did read 3 different tax policy reviews -- not good. I've long been in favor of hedge fund folks paying income tax - that's a nasty loophole they use. I'm against any dividend tax that punishes the elderly - my 94 year old Mother and all her friends depend on the dividends to pay their living expenses. They saved and invested their money so they would "never be a burden".

Quote:
Perhaps I didn't explain what I meant by Obama's plan. I am talking about free community college. That so we can still have scholarships (athletic and academic) as well as reduce costs for those that have good grades in community college. I went through community college but I didn't get scholarships because middle class white males even with pretty darn good grades (A's & B's) are expected to be able to pay for themselves but if I were not white or male, I instantly wouldn't...

I do agree that bringing down costs are key but a HUGE part of the deal is the states cutting funding to public universities. Arizona is known for this and it has driven costs sky high at ASU, NAU and UofA, so much so a private college like GCU is roughly at the same cost of a "cheap private education". Yet, we at the state level don't want to increase taxes in order to do so.
Thanks for the added info, sorry I misunderstood. - College expenses are a concern for me and should be for everyone. I've got 4 grandchildren and the first of them start college in 2 years. I don't expect my son will be as lucky with his kids (scholarships) as we were with ours. Scholarship paid for about 1/2 for the boy child (all academic that he was either awarded or applied for), and 150% for the girl child (she made money in college - weird deal) Full rides for girls are unusual, especially the kind she got.

On the up side -- Texas doesn't "cut" money to Universities, and in fact have been increasing money. At the same time - forcing the Top Heavy Administrations to cut and trim on the bloated top. Texas Universities are funded by that Dirty, Nasty Oil the State owns ..... Texas didn't hand over all their undeveloped land to the Federal Government when they entered the Union ..... we kept it and then discovered OIL on it. Governor Perry set a goal of a 4 year Texas State University degree for $10,000 ..... that's not per year, that total tuition/fees. It's in a test phase now in a couple of the State Universities - but you can imagine that it's been quite a battle. I'm convinced the key is to start getting credits in High School and even some online during high school - both my kids graduated from high school with a little over 30 hours of credit. That cuts a full year off the degree plan. Not chicken feed.

Old 03-22-2016, 04:07 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,167,739 times
Quote:
Thanks for the added info, sorry I misunderstood. - College expenses are a concern for me and should be for everyone. I've got 4 grandchildren and the first of them start college in 2 years. I don't expect my son will be as lucky with his kids (scholarships) as we were with ours.

If jobs paid great and readily available; you would not have to worry about college expense. But with today's temporary jobs the battle cry of American businesses; you are in trouble. Then your kid and grandkids face the wave of the new automation. Bernie will not bring business to the US. He will embrace unlimited legal immigration and open borders. Competition for the remaining few jobs in the US will be fierce. The middle-class will shrink even faster than it has in the last few years.

I wish the best for you and your family. I just think you are going in the wrong direction - good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections