Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 08:12 AM

30,470 posts, read 19,224,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpshooterTom View Post
Trump is clearly expanding the general election map....for Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders.

Clinton 38 Trump 36
Sanders 48 Trump 37

Poll: Utah would vote for a Democrat for president over Trump | KSL.com

Oh well, he's going to win New York anyway isn't he?

Joking aside, head to head polls aren't totally reliable this far out I know, however it is interesting to note that he's currently losing (or hammered in Bernie's case) in a state that hasn't gone to the democrats in 50 years.

Trumps definitely got act more statesman like or he's facing an historic blowout.
Again proving the insanity of the polling industry which exists solely to promote Democrats and liberal policies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2018, 03:08 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,449,403 times
Well...now that Mitt is running for Senate..perhaps Utah will have someone else to consider..in three years. Mitt would beat any Dem they put out there..not just in Utah..but nationally..his issue will be getting through the Primary process.

Old 01-02-2018, 03:29 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,118,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I always said that one sure sign that polling was off during the 2016 election came from polls that showed Hillary competitive in deeply conservative Republican states like Utah and South Carolina.
No, Utah made sense if you think about it. It was Trump specifically. Many LDS people (a group where members often vote R), are not his fans. I saw many people say they didn’t like him, but felt they had to vote R in the end. I mainly saw abortion mentioned. I know someone who had faithfully voted R for 40 years, but couldn’t do it for him, so just stayed home.

The fact that a latecomer 3rd party candidate (only started in August before election) could garner 21% of the vote says something. I think if Hatch hadn’t said what he did, it would have been more.

Last edited by latimeria; 01-02-2018 at 03:56 PM..

Old 01-03-2018, 11:50 AM

28,103 posts, read 30,002,142 times
That's pretty interesting. It's also very encouraging to me, as a left-leaning Utah independent. I ended up voting for Evan McMullin, simply so that I would not have to hang my head in shame over having voted for Clinton. Trump wasn't even an option. I would have voted for practically anybody over him, regardless of party. I have to vote my conscience, and in the last election, he was the only candidate that didn't make me sick to my stomach.

Oddly enough, Mormons (who comprise roughly 2/3 of Utah voters) used to be Democrats. It's only been in recent years that they've turned Republican. Seems like I read somewhere that only about 17% of Mormons nationwide are Democrats. I know that Bernie won big over Clinton in the Utah primaries.

Old 01-03-2018, 12:33 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,109,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
That's pretty interesting. It's also very encouraging to me, as a left-leaning Utah independent. I ended up voting for Evan McMullin, simply so that I would not have to hang my head in shame over having voted for Clinton. Trump wasn't even an option. I would have voted for practically anybody over him, regardless of party. I have to vote my conscience, and in the last election, he was the only candidate that didn't make me sick to my stomach.

Oddly enough, Mormons (who comprise roughly 2/3 of Utah voters) used to be Democrats. It's only been in recent years that they've turned Republican. Seems like I read somewhere that only about 17% of Mormons nationwide are Democrats. I know that Bernie won big over Clinton in the Utah primaries.

Guess you missed that this poll was from before the 2016 election

Old 01-03-2018, 01:32 PM

30,661 posts, read 18,276,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
No, Utah made sense if you think about it. It was Trump specifically. Many LDS people (a group where members often vote R), are not his fans. I saw many people say they didn’t like him, but felt they had to vote R in the end. I mainly saw abortion mentioned. I know someone who had faithfully voted R for 40 years, but couldn’t do it for him, so just stayed home.

The fact that a latecomer 3rd party candidate (only started in August before election) could garner 21% of the vote says something. I think if Hatch hadn’t said what he did, it would have been more.
No, that's what Dems told themselves to make them sleep better at night. President Trump didn't even campaign in Utah as his internals had him safely ahead.

One major red flag with the poll, too, was that, even in "victory," Hillary only had 38% of the vote if I recall correctly, which meant that a huge percentage of the voter base on that poll was "undecided." Its actually pretty similar to most early Texas presidential polls, where Dems, cycle after cycle, get excited about a "close race" despite over 20% of the electorate claiming to be presently undecided. These voters, however, always end on deciding to vote for the GOP candidate.

Back to Utah, while I believe that many people in the poll listed themselves as undecided perhaps, in large part, due to their questioning about Trump's commitment to socially conservative positions (including abortion, etc.), let's also remember that this poll took place WELL before Evan McMullin came onto the scene. Utah voters were never going to seriously elect Hillary Clinton (for which their was no doubt about her socially liberal positions on abortion and the like) over Donald Trump, who loudly proclaimed that he'd be pro-life in every way if elected.

Even once McMullin entered the race, the only shot he or a Democrat had (and, indeed, Hillary and McMullin's vote share combined beat Trump's) was if they joined forces. But even that is wishful thinking as many Republicans would've never supported McMullin if he decided to work for Hillary. So, perhaps at an abstract, purely theoretical sense, the possibility made sense. But when you actually looked at voting patterns and political beliefs, it is no surprise that Donald Trump won the state by nearly 20% over his next closest competitor.

Old 01-03-2018, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
No, that's what Dems told themselves to make them sleep better at night. President Trump didn't even campaign in Utah as his internals had him safely ahead.

One major red flag with the poll, too, was that, even in "victory," Hillary only had 38% of the vote if I recall correctly, which meant that a huge percentage of the voter base on that poll was "undecided." Its actually pretty similar to most early Texas presidential polls, where Dems, cycle after cycle, get excited about a "close race" despite over 20% of the electorate claiming to be presently undecided. These voters, however, always end on deciding to vote for the GOP candidate.

Back to Utah, while I believe that many people in the poll listed themselves as undecided perhaps, in large part, due to their questioning about Trump's commitment to socially conservative positions (including abortion, etc.), let's also remember that this poll took place WELL before Evan McMullin came onto the scene. Utah voters were never going to seriously elect Hillary Clinton (for which their was no doubt about her socially liberal positions on abortion and the like) over Donald Trump, who loudly proclaimed that he'd be pro-life in every way if elected.

Even once McMullin entered the race, the only shot he or a Democrat had (and, indeed, Hillary and McMullin's vote share combined beat Trump's) was if they joined forces. But even that is wishful thinking as many Republicans would've never supported McMullin if he decided to work for Hillary. So, perhaps at an abstract, purely theoretical sense, the possibility made sense. But when you actually looked at voting patterns and political beliefs, it is no surprise that Donald Trump won the state by nearly 20% over his next closest competitor.
*Shrug* Think what you like. It wasn't business as usual here.

Old 01-03-2018, 03:14 PM

28,103 posts, read 30,002,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Guess you missed that this poll was from before the 2016 election
Oops. I did. But it's interesting that you'd have pointed that out. Had McMullin not run, I'd have voted for Clinton, but I would not have been happy doing so. I suspect that a lot of Mormons in Utah would have voted for another Democrat to keep Trump from getting in, but despised Clinton enough that they couldn't vote for her.

I was having a discussion with a friend after the election. She'd voted for Trump. She said that on a scale of 1 to 10, she'd give him a 1 and Clinton a 0. To me, it was just the opposite. I'd have given Clinton and 1 and Trump a 0.

Old 01-03-2018, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Oops. I did. But it's interesting that you'd have pointed that out. Had McMullin not run, I'd have voted for Clinton, but I would not have been happy doing so. I suspect that a lot of Mormons in Utah would have voted for another Democrat to keep Trump from getting in, but despised Clinton enough that they couldn't vote for her.

I was having a discussion with a friend after the election. She'd voted for Trump. She said that on a scale of 1 to 10, she'd give him a 1 and Clinton a 0. To me, it was just the opposite. I'd have given Clinton and 1 and Trump a 0.
Yeah, I'd agree with you on the scale and all of this. I did see a lot of handwringing about abortion too.

Old 01-03-2018, 04:54 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,385,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Wait until after the State of the Union address when Trump gets a chance to finally list all of his accomplishments which have been censored by opposition aka propaganda media. The Loonies will be staring at the TV, heads cocked to one side like a dog hearing a strange sound, asking, "Wuht? How did Trump do so much if he was playing golf all the time and eating so much vanilla ice cream and Diet Coke?"

Maybe the dim bulbs over their pea brained heads will flicker a little brighter when it dawns on them that they have been lied to by the media.
Is this actually how many righties picture those on the left?

Last edited by robertbrianbush; 01-03-2018 at 05:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections