Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 09:51 AM

7,211 posts, read 9,441,701 times

Advertisements

According to this Obama has moved well ahead in pledged delegates.

Only Clinton's lead in super delegates is keeping her in there. We'll see how things go on Tue., and on March 4th, but as of now there is no question who the people want as their nominee. This nomination must be decided by pledged delegates not super delegates. Otherwise I'm afraid the party will fracture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 10:58 AM
BVH

944 posts, read 607,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
According to this Obama has moved well ahead in pledged delegates.

Only Clinton's lead in super delegates is keeping her in there. We'll see how things go on Tue., and on March 4th, but as of now there is no question who the people want as their nominee. This nomination must be decided by pledged delegates not super delegates. Otherwise I'm afraid the party will fracture.
Well, it appears that faced with the loss of the superdelegate votes of Prominent endorsers Kennedy and Kerry, Obama has decided to flip-flop on his superdelegate stance, and say that the Superdelegates should vota "according to their Conscience". I thought he said that individual voters should be the final decider of the nominee? I am confused... So, which is it Sen. Obama? Today's answer or last week's answer? Should the people decide or should the superdelegates decide? Yea, Hillary is the flip-flopper.

The Fact Hub (broken link)

AXELROD: I think that the role of the superdelegate is to act as, sort of, a party elder. These are elected officials from across the country and they're supposed to exercise their judgment as to what would be best for the party. And as they look at this, they need to decide who would be the strongest candidate for the party…
LAUER: David, you're not answering. Should those two senators vote for Barack Obama or Hillary Clinton?
AXELROD: I think they and all the superdelegates should vote according to what they think is best for the party and the country. And I think that we need the strongest possible candidate against John McCain…

Old 02-11-2008, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVH View Post
Well, it appears that faced with the loss of the superdelegate votes of Prominent endorsers Kennedy and Kerry, Obama has decided to flip-flop on his superdelegate stance, and say that the Superdelegates should vota "according to their Conscience". I thought he said that individual voters should be the final decider of the nominee? I am confused... So, which is it Sen. Obama? Today's answer or last week's answer? Should the people decide or should the superdelegates decide? Yea, Hillary is the flip-flopper.

The Fact Hub (broken link)

AXELROD: I think that the role of the superdelegate is to act as, sort of, a party elder. These are elected officials from across the country and they're supposed to exercise their judgment as to what would be best for the party. And as they look at this, they need to decide who would be the strongest candidate for the party…
LAUER: David, you're not answering. Should those two senators vote for Barack Obama or Hillary Clinton?
AXELROD: I think they and all the superdelegates should vote according to what they think is best for the party and the country. And I think that we need the strongest possible candidate against John McCain…
I think that is for each super delegate individually to decide. Though it appears Mark Penn and Chuck Schumer are out strongarming super delegates to commit to Hillary.
Open Left:: Strongarming Superdelegates

Old 02-11-2008, 11:16 AM
BVH

Quote:
I think that is for each super delegate individually to decide. Though it appears Mark Penn and Chuck Schumer are out strongarming super delegates to commit to Hillary.
Open Left:: Strongarming Superdelegates
Please, you think Obama's people AREN'T lobbying them equally as hard?

I noticed you have dodged my question, so, let me ask it again: Why is it that yesterday Obama said that the "voice of the people should be heard" and the superdelegates should vote with their people and now he is saying they should "vote according to what they think is best for the party and the country..."

Old 02-11-2008, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Please, you think Obama's people AREN'T lobbying them equally as hard?

I noticed you have dodged my question, so, let me ask it again: Why is it that yesterday Obama said that the "voice of the people should be heard" and the superdelegates should vote with their people and now he is saying they should "vote according to what they think is best for the party and the country..."
It's called politics. A game the Clinton machine is well versed at.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:31 AM
BVH

Quote:
It's called politics. A game the Clinton machine is well versed at.
Yes, but, I thought Obama was rising above all the "same old Politics as usual"???

So, to recap:

1.Obama feels that it is just fine to disenfranchise 2.2 Million voters in FL and Mich;
2. Obama feels that it is either ok to have superdelegates decide in "smoke-filled backrooms" who the candidate is or to have the actual voters decide what the outcome is, based solely on how the political winds are blowing;

So, please inform me how this translates to Obama "rising above the same old politics of yesterday"? It sounds EXACTLY like the same old Politics to me.

What it actually is is that he can't seem to keep up with his OWN spin....LOL

Old 02-11-2008, 11:37 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,117,878 times
Quote:
Yes, but, I thought Obama was rising above all the "same old Politics as usual"???

So, to recap:

1.Obama feels that it is just fine to disenfranchise 2.2 Million voters in FL and Mich;
2. Obama feels that it is either ok to have superdelegates decide in "smoke-filled backrooms" who the candidate is or to have the actual voters decide what the outcome is, based solely on how the political winds are blowing;

So, please inform me how this translates to Obama "rising above the same old politics of yesterday"? It sounds EXACTLY like the same old Politics to me.

Is it possible to post without all of the hyperbole?

Old 02-11-2008, 11:44 AM
BVH

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Is it possible to post without all of the hyperbole?
I'll make you a deal: I'll stop using hyperbole when I start getting actual answers to the actual questions posed.

How is that Barack Obama can be claiming to be above it all on one hand and be right down in it all on the other?

This is a VERY specific example of a blatant and crucial flip-flop on an important issue: Voter disenfranchisement. He has been proselytizing for weeks now how "unfair" the superdelegate system is. Now, suddenly, he thinks it's perfectly fine. Which is it?

Old 02-11-2008, 11:45 AM

Quote:

So, to recap:

"Spin"? The Clinton spin machine has been in full gear now that they realize she's in trouble.

Perhaps you would prefer that Obama not fight for those superdelegates, but just lie down and give them to Hillary as they call in their favors.

Obama isn't disenfranchising the voters in Mich. and Fla., the Democratic National Committee did that. Though Hillary kept her name on the ballot in Mich. and appeared in Fla., thinking of a possible fight to seat those delegates down the road. Might be smart politically, but that's the Clinton machine at work.

If you are a true Democrat, why do you feel the need to bash Obama? Can't differences within the party be resolved civilly?

Old 02-11-2008, 11:53 AM

746 posts, read 3,501,655 times
At this point (after yesterday's win in Maine) it seems Obama is ahead in delegates, including superdelegates. He is likely to run the table for the balance of the month, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections