Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 05:41 AM

3,872 posts, read 8,722,528 times

Advertisements

from Huffington Post (and several other outlets):

Quote:
One final note from the Daily News editorial board session with Sen. Hillary Clinton today: Near the end of the session, I had the chance to ask her what essentially was a two-part question, based on recent stories in the Politico and elsewhere that have crunched the pledged delegate and popular vote numbers and found the odds that she can pass Sen. Barack Obama are very slim. I tried to ask her 1) What she would do if Obama still has more delegates and votes when the primaries end in June and 2) What argument could she make to the unpledged superdelegates to give her the nomination if Obama does end up the choice of primary voters and caucus goers.

To be honest, I didn't feel she answered either question and she also made an odd statement that I hadn't heard before, insisting that pledged delegates are free to vote for any candidate, just like the superdelegates. She said, "We don't know what's going to happen between now and early June," and she went into a riff about the unfairness of the Michigan and Florida situation. Then she said:

I just don't think this is over yet, and I don't think that it is smart for us to take a position that might disadvantage us in November. And also remember that pledged delegates in most states are not pledged. You know, there is no requirement that anybody vote for anybody. They're just like superdelegates.
Clinton: Pledged Delegates Are "Like Superdelegates" - Politics on The Huffington Post
Quite frankly, I think if ANY pledged delegate switches their vote (either from or to Clinton) they'll be committing political suicide. And that would seal the deal on my perception of her as back alley and totally lacking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 06:01 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,236,183 times
This not only has been planned for a long time, but predicted. Even Chelsea was sent out to have lunch with younger super delegates to try to sway their votes. (remember the pimp comment)

Old 03-26-2008, 06:11 AM

3,491 posts, read 8,592,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
This not only has been planned for a long time, but predicted. Even Chelsea was sent out to have lunch with younger super delegates to try to sway their votes. (remember the pimp comment)
I heard someone call her a political slu_

Old 03-26-2008, 06:45 AM

3,872 posts, read 8,722,528 times
yes, but she's not talking about just the super delegates. She is talking about the PLEDGED delegates. The ones who are supposed to vote the way their constituents voted.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:58 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,106,480 times
I wasn't even aware that was an option, I imagine the Democratic Party would have something to say about that.

I'm not worried that it will happen, but if it does, that is a sure way for a lot of people to shoot themselves in the foot.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:25 AM

8,000 posts, read 9,205,999 times
I thought I read a few weeks back that a delegate from a southern state originally went with Clinton, but then changed to Obama due to his district's population's vote. If he can change, why can't others?

This system gets more confusing by the day. After the election of 2000 with all the commotion of missed votes and hanging chads it is amazing that the Democratic party is considering electing a nominee based on 48 states.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:27 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,808,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
I thought I read a few weeks back that a delegate from a southern state originally went with Clinton, but then changed to Obama due to his district's population's vote. If he can change, why can't others?
John Lewis is a SUPER delegate- not a pledged delegate. Pledged delegates have to vote for the candidate they are pledged to on the first ballot. After that, they are free.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:29 AM

206 posts, read 628,680 times
Both Campaigns talk to Super Delegates. Obama has contributed more money to Super Delegates than Hillary almost 2:1. So who is buying or stealing Super delegates?

Old 03-26-2008, 07:34 AM

8,000 posts, read 9,205,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
John Lewis is a SUPER delegate- not a pledged delegate. Pledged delegates have to vote for the candidate they are pledged to on the first ballot. After that, they are free.
Thanks for the clarification. So if no one is elected on the first ballot, this can get real ugly, huh?

Old 03-26-2008, 07:47 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,740,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Are you sure about that? I heard somewhere that that rule had been changed after the 1980 Democrat convention and that now any delegate is free to vote however he or she chooses. So the "pledged" delegate may be a misnomer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections