Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 03:55 PM

140 posts, read 293,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefkey View Post
One thing I feel sure of is that this Country will remain Engish speaking in Office. It would be foolhardy to believe that the Government would allow our President to not speak English. It has fast become the world's official international language.

In a global economy it makes too much sense to keep speaking what has become a universal language.
LOL That is too funny. So you think one Spanish-speakers are the majority they will allow English to remain the official language of the USA! LOL Have you ever been to Miami or El Paso? English is not the official language, YOU are expected to speak Spanish!

The "universal language" won't be English for long, as it wasn't French for long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthhurts View Post
Okay, your first point is extremely short sighted and utterly indefensible, because EL Presidente Jorge W. Bush Jr, is already pushing for amnesty. How is it funny that blacks are voting for Obama in terms of illegal aliens? This is a very weak argument at best.

I highly doubt under any scenario the US congress would vote a constitutional amendment making Spanish the official language of the US. However, I agree with your concern, but I do not feel your “sky is falling” scenario represents this concern with a legitimate degree of sanity.

In closing, the only thing that I do agree with is removing amnesty for illegal aliens. We should not encourage illegal immigration and perhaps we should decide to place more restrictions on who comes in. I’m not totally for that, but in the interest of sovereignty it may be a needed approach. I also think you fail to blame the real problem in all of this, which is big government.
Amrican blacks do NOT want amnesty for illegals (other than the Dem Black Caucus elite who want massive immigration to keep the Dems in power for the next 100 years), but they are too blinded by Obama's media worship to even realize Obama is 100% for amnesties and chain migration (I just checked his webiste and his voting record on the issue on NumbersUSA ). The mass migration will destroy the power of the black vote and will undoubtly cause civil unrest when it creates strain on jobs, the environment, the conomy, social security, schools, roads, etc.

There is no reason to ammend the US Constitution to make Spanish the official language. All they need is a vote in Congress. The Dems in Congress (joined by Juan McCain) have blocked English from being made the official language of the US. Once Spanish-speakers are the majority, they will either impose Spanish or they will pass a law making Spanish the official language.

The horrible part is that all 3 top candidates for President are for open borders (despite what they say) and are 100% for amnesties (check NumbersUSA.com, you will see their voting records). It is not the amnesty that will cause the to hit 1/2 Billion people in less than 40 years; it is the chain migration that will come afterwards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 03:59 PM

1,389 posts, read 6,300,286 times
Americans are so worried about Hispanics taking over the country that they do not realize its not the Hispanics its the Chinese. Spanish is the poor language. Chinese is the wealthy language. The asian countries are growing faster in people,money,technology and miltary. Not the hispanic countries they are growing in size but not growing in wealth.

Chinese is the language to learn not Spanish. In America the Chinese are building factories, they have interest in America. In no time you will see the Chinese owning more of America. If America needs help we go to the Asian countries not the Hispanics.
The Hispanic countries are all 3rd world countries.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:27 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,396,298 times
I don't agree with this post on so many levels I don't know where to begin:

First of all, Hispanic is barely an ethnicity, let alone a race. Hispanic is about as good a representation of culture as countries that have been colonized by Britain. Some shared characteristics, but often worlds apart culturally.

Secondly, subsequent generations identify less and less with the "mother country culture"... it WILL happen, so long as we don't bend over backwards to accomodate foreign language use in the United States.

Don't believe me? Try listening to the awful Spanglish that passes for "bilingualism" amongst so many first and second generation Americans of Hispanic decent. AW-FUL.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:29 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,897,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRockets View Post
LOL That is too funny. So you think one Spanish-speakers are the majority they will allow English to remain the official language of the USA! LOL Have you ever been to Miami or El Paso? English is not the official language, YOU are expected to speak Spanish!

The "universal language" won't be English for long, as it wasn't French for long.
With the advent of Bill Gates' glorious invention the PC and the explosion of the internet largely to this day in English I once again state the case. English will remain the predominant language of the world. Other cultures study English now to compete in the Global economy we have helped create. 50 years of English assimilation will hardly be thrown aside by one group with a different native language. Unless something like a Nuclear exchange occurs, then maybe in the aftermath of a lawless nation would we see the possibility.

Otherwise, you will simply see a Chinaman speaking to the world in English from the Oval office.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:39 PM

699 posts, read 2,236,043 times
Well, considering the fact that the number of White (non-Hispanic) birth rates have leveled off and may decline ever farther in the future, it's only natural to have a larger percentage of minorities in the United States. Reality is that it is becoming increasingly more difficult and much more expensive to raise a child in developed countries.

There are genuine worries in other developed countries in Europe and Japan/South Korea about their decreasing birth/death ratios, and what it means for their future. Without abundant future workers and consumers, economies and power will almost certainly decline.

By 2050, the United States, on the other hand, will have an ever growing population of workers and consumers because of immigration, and still be a dominant force in the global marketplace.

Also, there is this note in the article :

washingtonpost.com

"Due to the aging of the baby boom generation, the number of working-age Americans and their children will still grow more slowly than the nation's elderly population. Between 2005 and 2050, the number of Americans 65 or older will more than double, accounting for 19 percent of the population, compared with 12 percent today."

So, between the decrease in births by U.S. born women, and the graying of America, most likely the people who will be taking care of me in my old age on the way to 2050 with services and tax dollars are immigrants and their children (thanks by the way!).

The PEW study also stated:

"Authors of the study by the nonpartisan, Washington-based Pew Research Center cautioned that their findings were merely projections based on current trends that are subject to change."

Current trends are hardly sustained over long periods of time, there are just too much factors that can arise, and even you have to admit that adding 150 million or so in population in just 40 years is a little reach to say the least.

Last edited by tenken627; 02-11-2008 at 04:58 PM..

Old 02-11-2008, 07:32 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,590,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenken627 View Post

washingtonpost.com - nation, world, technology and Washington area news and headlines

"Due to the aging of the baby boom generation, the number of working-age Americans and their children will still grow more slowly than the nation's elderly population. Between 2005 and 2050, the number of Americans 65 or older will more than double, accounting for 19 percent of the population, compared with 12 percent today."

So, between the decrease in births by U.S. born women, and the graying of America, most likely the people who will be taking care of me in my old age on the way to 2050 with services and tax dollars are immigrants and their children (thanks by the way!).

The PEW study also stated:

"Authors of the study by the nonpartisan, Washington-based Pew Research Center cautioned that their findings were merely projections based on current trends that are subject to change."

Current trends are hardly sustained over long periods of time, there are just too much factors that can arise, and even you have to admit that adding 150 million or so in population in just 40 years is a little reach to say the least.
And you think that these immigrants are going to want to take care of you when you get old? They may not ya know.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:44 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,563,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRockets View Post
Wow, I never realized Miami and El Paso had so much power in the United States. With your theory, why isn't Spanish the "official" language of San Diego? I live in Houston, which is 40 percent Hispanic. Most speak English. And guess what? I've yet to meet one who has flown a Mexican flag in my face or forced their culture down my throat.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:46 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,793,617 times
I'm sorry. Was there a point to this thread somewhere?

Thank God we have a growing Asian and Hispanic presence that will continue to provide labor and drive the economy in the next decades. Somebody needs to pay us back our social security when we are retired,

Old 02-11-2008, 07:55 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,590,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
I'm sorry. Was there a point to this thread somewhere?

Thank God we have a growing Asian and Hispanic presence that will continue to provide labor and drive the economy in the next decades. Somebody needs to pay us back our social security when we are retired,
You guys are expecting these people to pay for your social security and medicare when you get old. Again, what if they decide they don't want to support you?

Old 02-11-2008, 08:03 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,793,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
You guys are expecting these people to pay for your social security and medicare when you get old. Again, what if they decide they don't want to support you?
What do you mean? Do you have a choice to pay into social security and medicare at your job?

Are you suggesting a minority "revolution" will occur?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections