Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 01:19 PM

510 posts, read 1,461,182 times

Advertisements

Since Rev Jeremiah Wright seems to think Whites and the US Government are to blame for ALL the problems in the black community...do you think he is right? I have a hard time believing anything Barack Obama says now that he has been exposed as a liar. There is NO WAY any body in their right mind could believe he"didn't know about" those sermons and Rev Wright's views. Not given how close they are. No way!

I've read comments from many of YOU saying that you believe the government handed out crack, invented HIV/AIDS, (Which I thought was introduced into the human species by African eating raw bush-meat or other intimate contact with ape blood) I've seen plenty of comments about how some of you can UNDERSTAND why he says "God D*MN AMERICA!!" Since you seem to have so much hatred, maybe you can respond to the following? Also, here is a link to the OLD page of the TRINTY UCC MISSION STATEMENT BEFORE they sanitized it the other day. Please pay special attention to #11 about pledging allegiance to ALL black leadership... (you will need to scroll down quite a bit, about HALF way)

Sweetness & Light

It seems like posters who are more than glad to appreciate what Rev Wright spews forth are usually VERY SILENT on threads like this one. I wonder why???

I personally know dozens of legal immigrants who came here with 0 wealth. Whether it was 100, 50 or 2 years ago, the story is the same...

What did immigrants do when they arrived in America? They got to WORK!! One job!? Tsk!! To this day, you will see immigrants from Greece, Poland, Albania, Iraq...work 80, 90, 100, 110 hours EACH week, with maybe four or five days off PER year. PER YEAR! I see it ALL the time. they work HARD for a few years, 7 days per week, often catching a couple hours sleep on a cot between jobs, AND they study English at the same time! Often they work in dangerous, drug infested areas, but THEY don't pick up crack habits. They scrimp and save and open their own businesses and later buy nice houses and send their kids to any college they wish. These children turn into doctors, scientists, business owners, educators, lawyers, judges, and other professionals.

These immigrants seem to accomplish in 8 or 10 years what some black leaders say whites keep blacks from ever attaining. So, I ask you...why don't most blacks do exactly as these immigrants do?

In fact, if you ever ask a legal immigrant what THEY think of many American blacks, I bet they will tell you that they can't understand how people BORN in America, who already know how to speak ENGLISH and have citizenship can possibly claim the deck is stacked against them.

But I think what many blacks fail to see is that as outsiders, white people can SEE what you all are doing to yourselves and can see how some of your OWN leaders help to keep you down much more than the "man" does. WHO does it help if blacks still blame slavery for everything bad that has ever happened to them??

Then to top it off, some blacks turn around and go to churches that blame white America and the US Government for "giving drugs to the black community" and starting HIV/AIDS. At the end of the day, Is there ANY thing at all that is bad in the black community that the black community doesn't blame outsiders for? Can you please name just one thing??

Please?

Last edited by Sunvixen; 03-18-2008 at 02:27 PM.. Reason: Added link to TUCC Mission Page
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 01:23 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,808,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunvixen View Post
Since Rev Jeremiah Wright seems to think Whites and the US Government are to blame for ALL the problems in the black community...do you think he is right?
You are making the same mistake that Reverend Wright made in his offending sermons about America – to simplify and stereotype and amplify the negative to the point that it distorts reality.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:33 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,065,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
You are making the same mistake that Reverend Wright made in his offending sermons about America – to simplify and stereotype and amplify the negative to the point that it distorts reality.
Yes.
It is called hyperbole.
Much of it is found in the Politics and Controversies forum, which is where this thread belongs.
I think we all understand that reverse racism--black on white, to put it simply, can and does exist. But for it to occur, the original racism had to exist.
I also think it's pretty clear that Obama is not a racist candidate.
I doubt that the government handed out crack or introduced AIDs.
OTOH, I can understand how Wright could be a bit p.o'd at his country--I have been, myself.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:34 PM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,072,671 times
@Sunvixen

I've stated this before and I'll state it again. You should go to a Black community and ask them these questions face to face and challenge their views and answers. Questions like these get nowhere but into a flame fest on a message board. Speak to Blacks on both sides of the poverty line. Speak to Blacks of different background and ethnicities. There is no one answer that will sum it all up for you and it is way too much for anyone to post on a message board.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Yes.
It is called hyperbole.
Much of it is found in the Politics and Controversies forum, which is where this thread belongs.
......OTOH, I can understand how Wright could be a bit p.o'd at his country--I have been, myself.

No, this thread is about Obama, his pastor, and why some of you agree with particular things they've said.

Why did Obama leave this out of his speech today"

"where white folks’ greed"

when he quoted ALL around it, but conveniently left it out.

Hmm?

Old 03-18-2008, 01:54 PM

I am being opened minded and STILL waiting for just one person to answer (especially those who have no problem at ALL berating supporters of Hillary or McCain and subtly suggesting that they are anti-Obama due to racism)

Isn't it funny how if you don't support Obama, there are dozens of posters who will suggest it's because he's black, but when I ask legitimate questions on subjects BROACHED BY REV WRIGHT, I am supposed to put the thread out of popular sight.

Since some of you have stated that what was said at Trinity UCC by WRIGHT is NOT said in other black churches, then why aren't ALL black people criticizing Wright and disagreeing with him?

Don't try to sweep this under the rug just because YOU don't like these issues pointed out. Please address the issues I asked about as well as statements made by Rev Jeremiah Wright about:

USA gives blacks drugs: "The government gives them [African Americans] the drugs, builds bigger prisons, passes a three-strike law and then wants us to sing 'God Bless America.' No, no, no, God d*mn America"

USA invented HIV/AIDS

That Obama is "POOR"

And finally, HOW CAN WE EXPECT OBAMA TO STAND UP TO IRAN, TO RUSSIA, TO CHINA, TO TERRORISTS...IF HE COULD NOT EVEN STAND UP TO REVEREND WRIGHT?

Old 03-18-2008, 01:59 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,808,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunvixen View Post
I am being opened minded and STILL waiting for just one person to answer (especially those who have no problem at ALL berating supporters of Hillary or McCain and subtly suggesting that they are anti-Obama due to racism)

Isn't it funny how if you don't support Obama, there are dozens of posters who will suggest it's because he's black, but when I ask legitimate questions on subjects BROACHED BY REV WRIGHT, I am supposed to put the thread out of popular sight.

Since some of you have stated that what was said at Trinity UCC by WRIGHT is NOT said in other black churches, then why aren't ALL black people criticizing Wright and disagreeing with him?

Don't try to sweep this under the rug just because YOU don't like these issues pointed out. Please address the issues I asked about as well as statements made by Rev Jeremiah Wright about:

USA gives blacks drugs: "The government gives them [African Americans] the drugs, builds bigger prisons, passes a three-strike law and then wants us to sing 'God Bless America.' No, no, no, God d*mn America"

USA invented HIV/AIDS

That Obama is "POOR"

And finally, HOW CAN WE EXPECT OBAMA TO STAND UP TO IRAN, TO RUSSIA, TO CHINA, TO TERRORISTS...IF HE COULD NOT EVEN STAND UP TO REVEREND WRIGHT?
I would suggest that Reverend Wright bothers you so much because his tactics are similar to yours and are a subconscious mirror, if you will. You both use hyperbole to distort reality and make absurd statements.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:59 PM

640 posts, read 462,537 times
Obama did nothing in his speech to further distance himself from Rev. Wright. Instead he made excuses, like how the pastor grew up in the 60's. Lame. He's nowhere near ready to be President of the most powerful nation on Earth.....

Old 03-18-2008, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Yes.
It is called hyperbole.

Then shouldn't the thread "Jesus was a poor black man" be in the Religion section by your reasoning??

Old 03-18-2008, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
I would suggest that Reverend Wright bothers you so much because his tactics are similar to yours and are a subconscious mirror, if you will. You both use hyperbole to distort reality and make absurd statements.

You really think that? Gosh, maybe I should apply for a position on Obama's campaign!?

I find it funny you still have no real answer to OP. How about if you take 24 hours and think about it, that way we won't end up bickering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections