Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 02:10 PM

510 posts, read 1,462,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
You are making the same mistake that Reverend Wright made in his offending sermons about America – to simplify and stereotype and amplify the negative to the point that it distorts reality.

Noooo. I am having a DISCUSSION and asking for people with ideas DIFFERENT THAN MINE to please chime in. That IS nothing like Rev Wright did. He just spewed hate without giving anybody the chance to question or disagree with him. If he had invited people from other ethnic groups...and asked them to get up and comment on his sermon THEN it might be the same thing.

BIG difference. Huge.

(Oh, since I am listening to Wright as I type criticize Colin Powell and saying that there are ten million blacks who cannot read...does anybody know if TRINITY UCC had a literacy program?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 02:14 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,905,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Yes.
But for it to occur, the original racism had to exist.

There is no such thing as "reverse" racism, only racism.

A white can be racist toward a black.
A black can be racist toward a Latino.
An Asian can be racist toward a black.
A black can be racist toward a white.
A white can be racist toward an Asian.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner_Nation_60 View Post
Obama did nothing in his speech to further distance himself from Rev. Wright. Instead he made excuses, like how the pastor grew up in the 60's. Lame. He's nowhere near ready to be President of the most powerful nation on Earth.....
I couldn't agree more, Sooner.

I cannot believe the insolence of some of the posters who will probably never address the OP. It is far easier to blame the whites and blame the USA, just like Rev Wright did over and over. They say "Obama isn't Wright," out of one side of their mouths, then say they can "understand why Wright feels the way he does" out of the other. Which is it?

Old 03-18-2008, 02:28 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,673,137 times
There is no doubt in my mind that racism exists. The problem is that is the "white" racist that takes a beating in the media. This is the first time that I have ever seen someone who is black, being accused in the media. I think that since it was such an issue about Huckabee and his religion and mitt romney being a mormon, and how their church effected them, It is only fair that Obama takes a hit on this. I still say that if you had a basically white church, spuing comments like those of the rev, they would be severely persecuted in the public eye and people would be denouncing them faster than anything. If it is wrong for a white to be racist, then it is wrong for blacks to be racist.
Equal should be equal.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:45 PM

I am listening to a lady caller on the radio saying that she "..goes to a Black church and she KNOWS that Barack didn't INTERNALIZE those statements Wright made..."

Wow, she must be one heck of a mind reader!!

You know, I have been to some churches that were PREDOMINANTLY black in Detroit...Lutheran and Episcopal ones...and I never felt racism of ANY kind in THOSE churches. So, why didn't Obama choose THAT kind of church INSTEAD of one that spewed hate?

Besides anything else, didn't Obama FORESEE the problems he may have later in his political career by aligning himself with Wright? Can't he see AHEAD?? Was he really so stupid o think this would all stay quiet?? He may have brains, but he lacks common-sense IMO.

Old 03-18-2008, 02:52 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,051,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunvixen View Post
Noooo. I am having a DISCUSSION and asking for people with ideas DIFFERENT THAN MINE to please chime in. That IS nothing like Rev Wright did. He just spewed hate without giving anybody the chance to question or disagree with him. If he had invited people from other ethnic groups...and asked them to get up and comment on his sermon THEN it might be the same thing.

BIG difference. Huge.

(Oh, since I am listening to Wright as I type criticize Colin Powell and saying that there are ten million blacks who cannot read...does anybody know if TRINITY UCC had a literacy program?)
Sunvixen, you're not yelling and simulating sex acts while you're typing, are you?! Hahahahahahahaha...

Old 03-18-2008, 02:57 PM

Quote:
You know, I have been to some churches that were PREDOMINANTLY black in Detroit...Lutheran and Episcopal ones...and I never felt racism of ANY kind in THOSE churches. So, why didn't Obama choose THAT kind of church INSTEAD of one that spewed hate?
That's what I want to know. I attend an Episcopal church and we certainly have African-American parishioners who are extremely active in the church. This past Sunday as some of the little girls were singing a special hymn and their proud parents were looking on, I started thinking about the Obamas and their church. I can't imagine the African-American families in my church looking on proudly if their little girls were in the sanctuary standing behind a preacher who was screaming expletives and simulating sex acts. How on EARTH could the Obamas take their little girls to a church like that????

Old 03-18-2008, 03:04 PM

Thumbs up How can you see me from there? lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Sunvixen, you're not yelling and simulating sex acts while you're typing, are you?! Hahahahahahahaha...
Gee, let me check!

Hee hee hee hee. You always know the right thing to say, tea!! Thanks!!

(OT: Can you tell me the name of the thread with the Maya Angelou poem for Hillary, I can't find where I read that. I sure HOPE that was YOU?)

Old 03-18-2008, 03:08 PM

Can't remember the title. If you click on my name and then the threads I've started thingy, you might be able to find it.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:13 PM

13,392 posts, read 45,114,323 times
Quote:
. At the end of the day, Is there ANY thing at all that is bad in the black community that the black community doesn't blame outsiders for? Can you please name just one thing??

Please?
Address this hyperbole? No way, no how.
If you can come up with some more measured language, I'll take a look at it.
Quote:

I cannot believe the insolence of some of the posters who will probably never address the OP. It is far easier to blame the whites and blame the USA, just like Rev Wright did over and over. They say "Obama isn't Wright," out of one side of their mouths, then say they can "understand why Wright feels the way he does" out of the other. Which is it?
There is no "which is it" for me.
I am trying to get to the point where there is no blame "the whites" or "the blacks" for me.
I've lived segregation, I've lived forced integration, but only from the white point of view.
Getting past this stuff starts with me--not the other person.
I love the USA but have never looked at it through rose-colored glasses and never will; I am pretty sure Obama is the same.

My frame of reference is Obama's website, his platform. Wright obviously has informed this, but his work in the south side of Chicago involved more than a handful of fiery sermons with controversial remarks.
Obviously the speech is not good enough for some folks. So be it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections