Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 12:04 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,537,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
So what's it going to be for Sanders win loose or draw from here on out, Democrat or Independent? If Sanders secures the nomination is he going to be a champion for the Party's candidates as the is the role of the Party's presidential nominee? Will be act as the titular head of the Democratic National Committee if elected president as is the role of the President nominated by the Democratic Party?

Or, if he loses the nomination or the election...

Will Sanders remain a Democrat, continue to push for change but from within the Party through as a senior Senator and automatic member of the DNC. Or will Sanders simply become just another quadrennial opportunist who will ride Democratic discontent and then just walk away as a so-called independent? Will Sanders be another Jessie Jackson or an Elizabeth Warren who entered the fight as a Democrat and has fought for progressive policies within the Party itself?
I believe he will support Hillary but currently he does nothing to help other Democrats in their down-ballot races. I find this questionable given the fact that he would need a VERY STRONG democratic congress in order to accomplish . . well, anything that he proposes.

I believe that when this is over - he will walk away as an Independent and go on as usual. He will do little do help the Democratic party and neither will his supporters, IF they are to be believed. They can't understand us old farts 'being a slave to one party, etc".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
From observing from the outside, I have been watching Sanders on various talkshows for over 3 years. During that time he was labeled an Independent. He does caucus with the Democrats and IIRC his voting record is actually 90's % with them.

So, his run as Candidate for President has been good for the Democratic Party since it has pulled Hillary further left than she would have if he had not been in the race. I actually think IF Elizabeth Warren had thrown her skirt into the ring, the same thing would have happened given her views on "Rigged Economy" !

But, I do believe he will support Hillary IF she happens to get the nomination. Lets remember the contentiousness between Hillary and BO and SHE ended up actually not only supported but stumped for him in the general election.

I've always considered, in American 2 party System, the Independent label gets a bad rap because no matter which party..I think there are Independent (or at least recall there were Independent Republicans as well) Politicians who caucus with the party they "Mostly" reflect, but have some alternate leanings on some issues.

Anyway..my answer isssss~ Yes, he will support Democratic nominee

Agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Strong words. Charlatan, senile. This from a candidate who is "sick of the damn e-mails" and is talking about the mid-term elections every chance he gets. Sanders has been great for the party, has brought huge numbers of independents to vote for him and has galvanized support among the people under 40 where he leads heavily over Clinton. This is the future of the party after all.

While Sanders claims to be 'sick of the damn emails' and such a great guy - meanwhile, he allows his surrogates to do all his dirty work for him by discussing the emails. Those independents have made it quite clear - they are there for Bernie and NOT the democratic party.

AND, he has done nothing this election to fundraise for other Democrats. Sanders doesn't give a damn about the Democratic party other than a means to an end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
We have clearly inhabited two different universes over the last seven years.
Yes, I did not know that the two parties were exactly alike. I guess we can just do away with the POC disagreements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2016, 12:07 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,966,079 times
Bernie-crats for those who are interested in this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcL-wZDSbCw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF_tH13SrY8

Old 04-03-2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Surely, Bernie can spare a few dollars from his coffers to AT LEAST help these two guys?

Old 04-03-2016, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Surely, Bernie can spare a few dollars from his coffers to AT LEAST help these two guys?
The Sanders supporters who want to are helping these guys every way they can by volunteering, donating and phonebanking for them and thats what Sanders is encouraging with his political revolution. The revolution is about people getting involved in the political process instead of being apathetic and discouraged and it is crucial if we are to make a government and economy that works for all Americans, not just the special interests.

Old 04-03-2016, 12:18 PM

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times
Quote:
The Sanders supporters who want to are helping these guys every way they can by volunteering, donating and phonebanking for them and thats what Sanders is encouraging with his political revolution. The revolution is about people getting involved in the political process instead of being apathetic and discouraged and it is crucial if we are to make a government and economy that works for all Americans, not just the special interests.
I made a donation and I plan on changing my party affiliation here in California, so I can vote for Bernie in primary. Not sure I would go with him in general election, but we'll see. I am okay with either Bernie or Trump.

Old 04-03-2016, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Great regurgitated talking points that I've heard forever ~ but the question was ~ What is SANDERS doing to help down-ballot races? Such as the two men you posted running for Congress?

Hillary fund rasises for down ballot races in the Democratic party.

Why doesn't Sanders? He crows about how much money he's made constantly.

It's not like he won't need a strong Democratic congress.

Old 04-03-2016, 12:40 PM

1,050 posts, read 698,917 times
Quote:
Great regurgitated talking points that I've heard forever ~ but the question was ~ What is SANDERS doing to help down-ballot races? Such as the two men you posted running for Congress?

Why didn't Bernie Sanders raise any money for the DNC?

Good read. Here's some info for you.

Old 04-03-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:

Sanders is revolutionizing political fund raising as 97% of donations are made online and with 98% having donated less than the limit of $2700. He is leading by example and has galvanized a huge groundswell of grassroots organizing and support for down-ballot races.

I dislike the idea that a presidential candidate can funnel millions to candidates who are superdelegates in order to ensure loyalty. The superdelegates should not have any economic ties to any candidate.

Old 04-03-2016, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I made a donation and I plan on changing my party affiliation here in California, so I can vote for Bernie in primary. Not sure I would go with him in general election, but we'll see. I am okay with either Bernie or Trump.
California Online Voter Registration. Deadline April 15. Online Voter Registration | California Secretary of State

Old 04-03-2016, 01:01 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,329,154 times
From your link.
Sanders is trying to transform the Democratic party, not preserve the status quo.

Sanders believes the Democratic party has drifted too far to the right in recent years (due in large part to the first Clinton and the Third Way) and abandoned the constituency that needs it most—the working class. It makes little sense for him to put his effort into fundraising for an organization whose disastrous 2014 plan for electing more Democrats under DWS was “distance yourself from Obama and his achievements.” Until the Democrats stop trying to imitate the Republicans, until they stop drifting rightward to counter them, and until they stop throwing the working class under the bus with trade agreements and corporatism, its not his party. Sanders knows he doesn’t belong in the current Democratic Party, but this election is a referendum on the future Democratic Party—will it be a centrist, corporatist, neoliberal organ of the wealthy, or will it be a democratic, representative, social, progressive party of the people?
You transform a party by being a part of it not an opportunist visitor. That is the issue being raised by this thread. Sanders expects help from a Party that derides yet deigns not to join? This is the complaint? Seriously!?!

Does Sanders require an invitation from the DNC to donate to down ballot progressive candidates?

So in respose to the Daily Kos, I offer this from the Washington Post

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...76b_story.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections