Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 12:47 PM

25,963 posts, read 22,138,411 times

Advertisements

We need to remember that a POTUS cannot make this change anyway and would have to nominate and have accepted judges for the SC that would make the changes.

Cruz has made this his number one known policy, to reverse the decision by the SC. I am sure we all know how he stood with Kim Davis who refused to not only not do her job which she took an oath to perform but also imposed her religious beliefs on the people who she supervised and would not allow them to do their job. It showed that he would pick and choose and/or support those that did not perform their jobs based on their beliefs.

I don't think people realize how much him making this promise to people, who frankly are among the most gullible and least educated, has to do with his success. I saw him win in KS where I live. I know exactly why he won here. I did not vote for him!

For those that don't realize it, there is an active moment behind the scenes to turn move religious cult types like Cruz into political positions. They fear that SSM will cause the destruction of the world. As you imagine, feeling that something will bring the destruction of the world makes them more than a little crazy. By scapegoating, using the gays, which is what "kill the gays" movement is about, that someone it will ready the world for the "end of times".

I believe sodomy is a sin along with lying, cheating, inciting the killing of any of our citizens, etc. Ted Cruz's sins create victims, lots of them.

It would be a long process to try to overturn SSM. We have many serious pressing issues and that just isn't one of them.

I think Trump would be reasonable and talk out all issues. He, like myself, realize that social issues are not the pressing problems right now. He knows how to prioritize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 04:30 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,802,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
"I support Trump because I believe that he is lying about an issue that is important to me, and will ultimately go along with the way I believe rather than what he is claiming to believe in order to win the election."

There, fixed that for ya. But that's a hell of a basis to support someone for President - that you disagree with him but are sure that he's lying about it so you are a fan.
You are partly correct. I support him in regards to becoming a candidate and changing the GOP platform.

I think no GOP candidate has a chance of winning in the Fall.

I am looking long term.

If you are for Cruz you are killing chances for the GOP both this election and next.

Until there is a platform change at a convention special interest groups have the GOP locked up.

If you are a GOP fan now...enjoy your tea.

Old 04-05-2016, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
It's certainly true that no one sensible believes that Trump actually espouses the R "traditional" social/cultural values platform, even though he's trying to talk like an R "values voter". Why this makes him admirable in your eyes is a bit of a puzzle to me, but oh well.
Hahaha,

When I select a hammer to pound a nail it is simply the right tool. It is not something admirable.

Cruz really believes the Republican platform.

Now that is scary!

Old 04-05-2016, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Yeah, it's gonna take time to find new witches to hunt and new demons to fear.
Oh, where have you been?

I am gay and lucky to be gay in comparison.

The GOP has focused their attack on a far smaller minority called the transgender.

It is the T in LGBT

I am guessing the first order of business of the GOP convention is to post guards at the toilets to check birth certificates.

Question: Whatever became of an old phrase

"Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me."

Old 04-05-2016, 05:13 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,664,869 times
Social issues are just part of the platform that needs to change. The Republican party has been the champion for the wealthy business interest failing to represent the middle class. They are in favor of these trade deals and corporate business leaders are the ones involved in designing them to their advantage. They have made jobs and the ability to get ahead a real concern by much of the population. If they really want to be the party of personal responsibility they should not make it more difficult. That's where the democrats devour them with safety nets that wouldn't be need if they were willing to support those who want to work by making better trade deals that didn't devastate labor.

Old 04-05-2016, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post

Cruz has made this his number one known policy, to reverse the decision by the SC. I am sure we all know how he stood with Kim Davis who refused to not only not do her job which she took an oath to perform but also imposed her religious beliefs on the people who she supervised and would not allow them to do their job. It showed that he would pick and choose and/or support those that did not perform their jobs based on their beliefs.

I think Trump would be reasonable and talk out all issues. He, like myself, realize that social issues are not the pressing problems right now. He knows how to prioritize.
Let me pose a question.

If the platform changes at the convention forcing the GOP candidates to embrace and accept gay-marriage as a fact and to defend the rights of LGBT members of society,

Could Ted Cruz be nominated?

I think not.

It would be a lie for Cruz to change his tune. Whereas, we have been saying all along we know the real tune of Trump. Which, if he could only realize, is exactly what he should be singing loudly.

Old 04-05-2016, 05:26 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,842,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Here's a tip. Any organization that uses this word, is anti-Gay & Lesbian.
Why? Homosexual or Homosexuality is not a slur, it has been used for decades to describe those who engage in sexual acts with people of the same sex.

Is this another Orwellian move by the thought police to make another word that has been in the American lexicon forever and turn it into a "dog whistle" and a "code word"?

Old 04-05-2016, 05:30 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,703,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Social issues are just part of the platform that needs to change. The Republican party has been the champion for the wealthy business interest failing to represent the middle class. They are in favor of these trade deals and corporate business leaders are the ones involved in designing them to their advantage. They have made jobs and the ability to get ahead a real concern by much of the population. If they really want to be the party of personal responsibility they should not make it more difficult. That's where the democrats devour them with safety nets that wouldn't be need if they were willing to support those who want to work by making better trade deals that didn't devastate labor.
But, they wouldn't be the republican party if they weren't more interested in wealthy business interests than in the middle class. That is one of the central planks in their platform. Get rid of that, and what do they have left? The anti-everybody else part, I guess. But, who are ya gonna get to vote for that, other than the religious conservatives? Maybe cruz will win the nomination after all?

Old 04-05-2016, 05:32 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,842,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
I freely admit I am here for one main reason.

I intend to help reshape the GOP platform and cast off the chokehold caused by special interest groups. Get positions on abortion, gay-marriage, and guns out of the definition of being a Republican.

Despite what GOP candidates say they want to do against gay-marriage law, the GOP itself and GOP donors are rewriting the platform.

See:

Republicans may ditch official anti-gay marriage stance despite Trump and Cruz opposition
Republicans may ditch official anti-gay marriage stance despite Trump and Cruz opposition · PinkNews

Republican financiers are aiming to change the GOP's approach to gay marriage,
http://www.newsmax.com/t/newsmax/article/722138

GOP Donors Want the Republican Party Platform to Embrace Same-Sex Marriage
GOP Donors Want the Republican Party Platform to Embrace Same-Sex Marriage - The Rush Limbaugh Show

This is the reason I am a Trump fan. I believe despite what he says publically to pretend he supports a stupid GOP platform written by narrow special interest groups, he has the power to reshape the party itself.

How do you plan to do this? Are you a member of your county and state GOP? Are you a voting member/PCO, etc. Are you active in the GOP grassroots so that you can be appointed to the platform committee. That is who is responsible for drafting the platform that the entire County GOP votes to adopt. Once the County Platform is adopted, people are appointed to work on the STATE platform. Different representatives from each county meet and draft the State Platform, which is then voted on at the State convention, by the GOP members who are voted on to attend the State Convention. After the State Conventions, the delegates voted on to go to the National Convention are selected to sit on the National Platform committee and draft the National Platform, which is voted on at the RNC.

The GOP platform is not created by "special interest groups." It is drafted and voted on from the county levels upwards. The fact that you don't even understand the process seems pretty clear that your complaining is just that. Get involved beyond whining or ****!

Old 04-05-2016, 10:22 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,950,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
Why? Homosexual or Homosexuality is not a slur, it has been used for decades to describe those who engage in sexual acts with people of the same sex.

Is this another Orwellian move by the thought police to make another word that has been in the American lexicon forever and turn it into a "dog whistle" and a "code word"?
"Homosexual" is a medical term coined by a doctor in the 19th Century.

No LGBT organization or publication uses that term any more.

Not all gay and lesbian people are engaging in sex acts. I understand now that marriage equality is legal in all 50 states there is a lot less sex going on ... just like heterosexuals (another medical term).

Just after WW2 gay and lesbian organizations adopted the word "Homophile" to de-emphasize the "sex" part and to call attention to love. That word stuck for only a few years. Everything now is GAY GAY GAY and LESBIAN and BI and TRANS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections