Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 05:47 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,841,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
It's going to take time but I am confident the GOP will eventually return to being a secular, center-right political party. We will probably need to lose a few more presidential elections and see Congress return to Democratic control before that happens though.
Timeline: The Religious Right and the Republican Platform | BillMoyers.com

Republican Party Platforms: Republican Party Platform of 1976

You want the GOP to revert back to 1972? How progressive.

Certain planks have been added to the Party platform because of Judicial activism that requires a clear response from the GOP with regard to those issues that have moral and societal consequences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 11:36 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,900,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
The GOP Platform will never remove the principle that family is the fundamental basis of society and the GOP recognizes that marriage is defined as a union between one man and one woman.

Remove that plank of the platform and you do not have a Republican party.
Nonsense.

We would have a lot better and more inclusive Republican Party if we could just shed the Bible Beaters, which are more often than not the anti-gay voters. Yes, family is the fundamental basis of society, and #1, accepting gay marriage doesn't equate to abolishing the traditional family unit, there will still be plenty traditional families, and #2, a family made up of 2 dads or 2 moms still has value to society. A child is far better off being raised by a stable gay couple than spending the first 18 years of their lives being bounced around from foster home to foster home.

Secondly, the fundamental principles of the Republican party are fiscal conservatism, limited government, self responsibility, and individual liberty, none of which fall apart if the GOP accepts gay marriage.

Old 04-07-2016, 11:39 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,626,433 times
I'm voting the homosexuals and other liberals out. Trump for the win!

Old 04-08-2016, 12:02 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,900,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
The temper tantrum seems to be yours.
True, I don't support Trump, but I'm just acknowledging the reality that the Republican Party is not going to let Trump be President, whether it's stopping him from getting the nomination, or running a 3rd candidate to split the votes and hand the election to Hillary. That's just the reality, whether you support Trump or not.
Quote:
Just who is your candidate ? Kasich - the guy who barely won his home state and no other ?
Kasich is a weak Republican for sure, definitely not my ideal candidate, but I'd take him any day over Trump.
Quote:
You think he is the one to win in November ?
I think he'd have a lot better chance than Trump, whom I believe has zero chance, and even if he did, it's not a matter of winning, it's a matter of conscience and character. I'd rather LOSE with a real, principled candidate who has some integrity than win with a fraud like Trump.
Quote:
Perhaps it's Cruz who is more reviled than Hillary by his fellow Republicans ?
I find it amusing that you point out the fact that establishment Republicans hate Cruz like that's a bad thing, and then you'll turn around and rail against that very same establishment for the same reasons that they hate Cruz.

To answer your question, my candidate is Cruz, but frankly I wouldn't be upset if they just brought someone new in altogether at the convention. This whole primary season has been such a mess that I think that may be as good a bet as any.
Quote:
Does the Republican electorate just let the party elites make the decision because they just know better ?
In this special case, I'd say yes. If you don't like it, start your own political party and make your own rules. The Republican Party is a private organization, you have no reasonable expectation of a democratic process when it comes to choosing their nominee.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 04-08-2016 at 12:34 AM..

Old 04-08-2016, 01:35 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,758,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
The GOP Platform will never remove the principle that family is the fundamental basis of society and the GOP recognizes that marriage is defined as a union between one man and one woman.

Remove that plank of the platform and you do not have a Republican party.
Really? So what party was that that elected presidents before SSM was a thing?

Old 04-16-2016, 10:27 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,801,922 times
Kasich has changed his tune and now wants GOP to move on.

I was expecting Trump to do this first.

Cruz? Never.

https://www.google.com.ph/url?q=http...2hZwoQUWwdVkVA

Old 04-17-2016, 08:59 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,550,307 times
Default Don't kid yourself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
I freely admit I am here for one main reason.

I intend to help reshape the GOP platform and cast off the chokehold caused by special interest groups. Get positions on abortion, gay-marriage, and guns out of the definition of being a Republican.

Despite what GOP candidates say they want to do against gay-marriage law, the GOP itself and GOP donors are rewriting the platform.

See:

Republicans may ditch official anti-gay marriage stance despite Trump and Cruz opposition
Republicans may ditch official anti-gay marriage stance despite Trump and Cruz opposition · PinkNews

Republican financiers are aiming to change the GOP's approach to gay marriage,
http://www.newsmax.com/t/newsmax/article/722138

GOP Donors Want the Republican Party Platform to Embrace Same-Sex Marriage
GOP Donors Want the Republican Party Platform to Embrace Same-Sex Marriage - The Rush Limbaugh Show

This is the reason I am a Trump fan. I believe despite what he says publically to pretend he supports a stupid GOP platform written by narrow special interest groups, he has the power to reshape the party itself.

If you think Trump has more influence over the GOP than the nutball religious right, then you're very naive.

Old 04-17-2016, 09:13 AM

7,737 posts, read 5,521,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I'm voting the homosexuals and other liberals out. Trump for the win!
How do I vote you off the island?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections