Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 03:39 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,955,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
So has Arizona. Yet Sanders is polling better than Trump in Arizona in general election match-ups. Same in Georgia and other states.
Either polls are reliable or they aren't. Michigan was way off and, just before the Oregon primary, a strange poll showed Hillary ahead by double digits, although Bernie was always favored to win there. I'm actually surprised Hillary got half the vote in WV, since her campaign spent very little money in advertising over the past month.

I know Bernie supporters want him to be the nominee, but they should be more upset if he is, since the superdelegates, which he was strongly against and called them undemocratic, would be voting against the will of the people who voted. Although it will never happen, if a bunch of superdelegates suddenly decided to rely on a poll instead of nominating the candidate who received the most pledged delegates and votes, I hope every American will stand up in protest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 03:42 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,243,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Agree. It's a combination of racism and, in some areas, his policies on the coal industry.
In that case, it's actually ignorance, because Bernie is just as tough, maybe even more, against fossil fuel and would do just as much to decimate the industry and miner jobs.

But the media - you know, the one who hates Bernie and is in the tank for Hillary - kept repeating that cut off sound bite of Hillary's over and over while not even bothering to ask Bernie about his fossil fuel industry plans.

Old 05-18-2016, 03:44 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,243,047 times
Quote:
Either polls are reliable or they aren't. Michigan was way off and, just before the Oregon primary, a strange poll showed Hillary ahead by double digits, although Bernie was always favored to win there. I'm actually surprised Hillary got half the vote in WV, since her campaign spent very little money in advertising over the past month.

I know Bernie supporters want him to be the nominee, but they should be more upset if he is, since the superdelegates, which he was strongly against and called them undemocratic, would be voting against the will of the people who voted. Although it will never happen, if a bunch of superdelegates suddenly decided to rely on a poll instead of nominating the candidate who received the most pledged delegates and votes, I hope every American will stand up in protest.
no, no, it's fine when the superdelegates ignore democracy and pledged delegates and millions more votes when it favors Bernie.

You know, just like red states that voted for Hillary don't count at all but the ones who voted for Bernie are super duper important.

Old 05-18-2016, 03:52 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,977,057 times
Quote:
Either polls are reliable or they aren't. Michigan was way off and
Its not some single random poll that shows this in a single state. In state after state after state, whether its Arizona, Georgia, Virginia or other states, Sanders is polling better than Hillary in general election match-ups against Trump. The reason is simple, Sanders core base is independents and the working class. Voters who are swing voters. In Vermont, Sanders' routinely pulled 25% of the Republican voters into his fold. He has massive cross-over appeal. Hillary is doing her best to alienate a huge part of the electorate as she believes she doesnt need to do anything to placate the strong support Sanders has. Terrible strategy. Its like the Dem establishment is campaigning actively to ensure a Trump win.

Old 05-18-2016, 03:55 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,617,407 times
Quote:
Its not some single random poll that shows this in a single state. In state after state after state, whether its Arizona, Georgia, Virginia or other states, Sanders is polling better than Hillary in general election match-ups against Trump. The reason is simple, Sanders core base is independents and the working class. Voters who are swing voters. Hillary is doing her best to alienate a huge part of the electorate as she believes she doesnt need to do anything to placate the strong support Sanders has. Terrible strategy. Its like the Dem establishment is campaigning actively to ensure a Trump win.
From your lips to God's ears... We can only hope!

#NEVER-HILIARY

Old 05-18-2016, 04:38 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,273,228 times
Quote:
She made as many appearances here as Bernie did.

Old 05-18-2016, 04:47 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,977,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
She made as many appearances here as Bernie did.
And she got a third of the vote. Not half. I have no idea what that poster is talking about. Perhaps KY? But she outspent him in KY AFAIK and quite frankly, she should have done much better in a closed primary in a southern state like KY. She would have been crushed in both KY and OR by huuuge margins if independents were allowed to vote there. She is polling abysmally among independents.

Old 05-18-2016, 05:34 PM

Quote:

oops - just came back to this thread and realize I typed WV instead of KY. When I wrote "half the vote" I was talking about splitting it with Sanders in Kentucky. Too late to edit now.

Old 05-18-2016, 05:36 PM

Quote:
And she got a third of the vote. Not half. I have no idea what that poster is talking about. Perhaps KY? But she outspent him in KY AFAIK and quite frankly, she should have done much better in a closed primary in a southern state like KY. She would have been crushed in both KY and OR by huuuge margins if independents were allowed to vote there. She is polling abysmally among independents.
Yes, I goofed and meant to type Kentucky. I don't know why I wrote WV. Just a mistake, since I know Hillary got about 35% of the vote. I wrote the above post to correct it before I read your comment.

Old 05-18-2016, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Its not some single random poll that shows this in a single state. In state after state after state, whether its Arizona, Georgia, Virginia or other states, Sanders is polling better than Hillary in general election match-ups against Trump. The reason is simple, Sanders core base is independents and the working class. Voters who are swing voters. In Vermont, Sanders' routinely pulled 25% of the Republican voters into his fold. He has massive cross-over appeal. Hillary is doing her best to alienate a huge part of the electorate as she believes she doesnt need to do anything to placate the strong support Sanders has. Terrible strategy. Its like the Dem establishment is campaigning actively to ensure a Trump win.
I disagree. It's not that simple. Sanders supporters talked about name recognition when they explained why Hillary was more popular when the race began. Yet now they fail to mention that nobody really knows much about Bernie when they say he's polling better. Maybe that's because he hasn't been attacked for decades. Bill Clinton was elected Governor of Arkansas in 1978 and Hillary has been in the spotlight for nearly 40 years. During the Republican debates, all the candidates mentioned Hillary at one time or another. I don't recall any of them criticizing Bernie, do you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections