Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 12:17 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,294,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
Regardless of current polls, I think North Carolina is more likely than Arizona to vote for Clinton in the end. NC was considerably closer in 2012 and her campaign is already deploying resources in the state, reserving time for advertising in the months approaching the election. There is a competitive governor race in NC as well and Democrats are strongly motivated given the state's recent experiences with a Republican governor and legislature.

Trump doesn't seem to have much awareness of political dynamics if he's planning to concentrate his efforts in NJ, CA, NY and MD like a recent discussion suggests. Reducing Clinton's advantage by a few percent in those strongly blue states won't earn him a single additional electoral vote. It would make more sense for him to focus on states like OH and PA that are more competitive and have significant portions of the electorate that may be receptive to his platform. But I wouldn't bet on him winning either of those in the end.
Ohio, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Florida, and Pennsylvania are where he should focus his time. I think even PA would be tough flip but he would be better serviced there than thinking he can flip New York.

Old 06-10-2016, 12:32 PM

3,841 posts, read 1,981,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
Ohio, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Florida, and Pennsylvania are where he should focus his time. I think even PA would be tough flip but he would be better serviced there than thinking he can flip New York.
I would add NJ and CT to the list.

Old 06-10-2016, 12:39 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,219,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
Yes, those states would make sense for Trump's strategic focus - and get him a 277-261 Electoral College victory. Trump's personality seems to be a poor fit for the upper Midwest swing states and his rhetoric around Hispanics is a problem in the western swing states, so an eastern strategy could be the most plausible but narrow path to victory.

For what it's worth, I'm convinced West Virginia will be Trump's best state in the general election. The state is homogeneous, elderly, economically depressed, rural, and has the lowest proportion of college graduates nationwide. Ironically it was a mostly blue state less than a generation ago. Aside from DC, Clinton's best performance will probably be in Hawaii.

Old 06-10-2016, 12:47 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,219,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
I would add NJ and CT to the list.
New Jersey and Connecticut haven't voted Republican or even been particularly competitive since 1988. Trump would have to get a lot of previous Democratic voters to flip in order to gain their electoral votes - plus the media markets in those states are very expensive and he's well behind the curve in fundraising.

Old 06-10-2016, 12:49 PM

3,841 posts, read 1,981,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
New Jersey and Connecticut haven't voted Republican or even been particularly competitive since 1988. Trump would have to get a lot of previous Democratic voters to flip in order to gain their electoral votes - plus the media markets in those states are very expensive and he's well behind the curve in fundraising.
I agree long shots but if he plays his cards right, he could be competitive and even win in one of them.. NJ especially. Its going to be a lot closer in NJ than the last two elections.

Old 06-10-2016, 01:26 PM

759 posts, read 638,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I'm so glad to live on the beautiful blue west coast. Trump is so unpopular in Seattle he had to hold his rally way up on the Canadian border in a town no one hears of.
I'm glad to be here too even if the local government is a bunch of clueless Democrats.

Inslee? LOL

Can we please get some more green crosswalks and bike lanes in Seattle to address the traffic issues?

Trump could have had that rally in a lot of towns here. The state is red outside of Seattle metro.

Old 06-10-2016, 01:28 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,444,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetosave View Post
Trump can flip NJ, NH, WI, PA, FL, OH, MI
PA, possible in theory. Hard for me to say in the case of the other states. Except NJ. LOL! There is not even a remote chance of Trump flipping NJ.

Old 06-10-2016, 01:31 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,460,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloeC View Post
I'm glad to be here too even if the local government is a bunch of clueless Democrats.

Inslee? LOL

Can we please get some more green crosswalks and bike lanes in Seattle to address the traffic issues?

Trump could have had that rally in a lot of towns here. The state is red outside of Seattle metro.
Sounds like Oregon.

People will vote Hillary in the NW quadrant of Oregon, but will hold their noses while they are doing it.
Oregon is more a Bernie state.

The rest of the state is sparsely populated and fairly red.

Old 06-10-2016, 01:40 PM

99,649 posts, read 4,496,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Hillary is leading in polling averages over Trump in Arizona, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Florida, Iowa, Colorado, Nevada, Oregon, Minnesota, Michigan, New Hampshire and Virginia. Trump leads over Hillary in polling averages in Georgia and North Carolina. That's what I based my created map on in my original post. I did not just make up this map out of thin air. There's measurable polling data behind each state.
It looks like a very reasonable forecast of where things might be headed. I'd love to see AZ go blue, but I would guess NC is more likely to actually fall into Hillary's column.

Old 06-10-2016, 01:41 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,444,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
According to the polls Hannity has been reading Ohio has Trump by 4, Michigan,Pa, and Wisconsin are in play. He also claimed that this primary the {D} party is down 7 million votes from the last one. I just wonder what the percentage was the black vote? If Hillary with the help of Obama can not stir up the black vote and get them to the polls Trump has a good chance to win all 4 of those states.
The black vote was a big part of why Hillary prevailed over Bernie. I don't think she has to worry too much about the black vote in the general election.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections