Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 11:15 AM

2,903 posts, read 3,457,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
People keep claiming Trump is a Dem plant, but maybe it was GOP strategy. None of the original clown car guys would have won. So maybe the idea was to throw it to the crazy guy for a while, because he will make Romney look so good! The elder statesman steps in after the joker folds.
I have no idea what is going on within the Republican Party and drawing conclusions doesn't seem to work very well. I sometimes wonder if Trump really wanted to be president and that things got out of his control so fast that he's now seemingly stuck? Or that Trump will be surgically removed from the nomination by insiders. I don't know.

What we do know is the GOP with Trump as its nominee will lose the WH. And I think we can be certain that any effort to remove Trump will be very messy because, as you state, none of the establishment candidates went anywhere, none of them excited or inspired anyone. So if you add the blowback from Trump supporters to the GOP's blocking Trump, and if you accept the likelihood that any Republican presidential candidate at this stage will lose in November, there really isn't much incentive to force Trump out; just let him "hang slowly, slowly in the wind."

The Republican Party is collapsing, and I'm enjoying the movie.

Old 06-12-2016, 11:23 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,885,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
The only map that matters is the map you'll see finalized on Nov. 8.

Enjoy your fantasy but you're nauseating me in giving AZ to clinton...ackkkk!

With seemingly half of CA moving here to escape what CA is and more than a few trying to make AZ into another CA(figure that twisted "logic" out), unfortunately, you might have a point.

Latino population voter turnout is historically very low. Regardless of what some are saying they will be strong against trump/come out to vote, history says this isn't true as romney was strong in words on illegals and hispanic voter turnout was still low vs their population size. Some polls have trump actually doing pretty well among hispanics.

Jobs. That's what this/every election is about.

I hope mccain loses in the primary.

As a Arizonian this state belongs to trump. Phoenix , Flag, Casa Grande, Liberals are not looked favorable
in most parts of the state.

However I do see many Cali tags in Sedona and Sedona has turned out to be very Californianized. But that's ok we will take their money! If Trump is attracting Democrats that see Clinton for who she is a calculation political machine for the last 40 years.

The Map is skewed and The liberals may have a very different outcome.

Old 06-12-2016, 07:27 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,433,651 times
"Electoral map as of today" (June 12) may be looking different with the events in Orlando. We'll see if it's reflected in the polling. Could give Trump a significant boost.

Old 06-12-2016, 07:37 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
"Electoral map as of today" (June 12) may be looking different with the events in Orlando. We'll see if it's reflected in the polling. Could give Trump a significant boost.
This is one of the reasons polls this far in advance have little value. Even in 2008, which was a landslide for Obama, the polls were very competitive as recently as ~ Labor Day when the financial crisis/stock market situation tanked.

Once the economy went south, people went with 'the other guy/other party' and Obama won going away. Why people supported Obama in response to a weak economy, well you'll have to ask them.

Old 06-12-2016, 07:42 PM

759 posts, read 637,012 times
Quote:
The Orlando events just further reinforce the fact we don't need 4 more years of the same.

Gun control advocates please speak up now.

Old 06-12-2016, 07:48 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,433,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
This is one of the reasons polls this far in advance have little value. Even in 2008, which was a landslide for Obama, the polls were very competitive as recently as ~ Labor Day when the financial crisis/stock market situation tanked.

Once the economy went south, people went with 'the other guy/other party' and Obama won going away. Why people supported Obama in response to a weak economy, well you'll have to ask them.
Also, one must never overestimate the public's long-term memory. News quickly gets old, and any spike in Trump support may dissipate in a matter of weeks.

Old 06-12-2016, 08:57 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,522,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloeC View Post
I'm glad to be here too even if the local government is a bunch of clueless Democrats.

Inslee? LOL
I could never live there (the political/government climate would drive me nuts), but I have to say that the Seattle metro area is the most beautiful large U.S. metro area I have been to (yes, it surpasses my native San Francisco area, San Diego, Chattanooga, Nashville, Knoxville, Asheville, and anywhere in Florida (I know...not all of those are 'large' areas)) ....and I have been to all of the 40 largest U.S. cities but one -- Raleigh, NC.

I also think Washington (the state) is at least equal to California re overall beauty.

Quote:
Trump could have had that rally in a lot of towns here. The state is red outside of Seattle metro.
Yep. Re a reasonable combination of policies I like and outdoor activities I like, the only states I'd consider if I ever left Texas would be Nevada, Florida, Washington (3 different areas....Vancouver, Blaine, and Spokane Valley), and....a slight chance/nod.... to Tennessee.

Seacove wasn't kidding about Trump's rally being in a town no one is really aware of .

I've been to Whatcom County multiple times...mostly Bellingham, and the area around Blaine...and I was previously unaware of both Lynden and the Northwest Washington Fair.

Old 06-12-2016, 09:39 PM

759 posts, read 637,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I also think Washington (the state) is at least equal to California re overall beauty.

I've been to Whatcom County multiple times...mostly Bellingham, and the area around Blaine...and I was previously unaware of both Lynden and the Northwest Washington Fair.
It's gorgeous... and I had never heard of Blaine until I spent a few weeks there last summer.

Like I said, I'm glad to be here I just don't agree with the elected officials that I didn't vote for.

Old 06-13-2016, 01:57 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
I do think Trump has a chance to win at least some of the traditionally purple states, but Wisconsin hasn't voted Republican since 1984 and Minnesota since 1972. His temperament and positions isn't a good fit for the Upper Midwest, as suggested by the Republican primary results. Clinton certainly has liabilities but she is a more conventional politician and far ahead in terms of fundraising and local organization.

Trump is likely a weaker candidate for Arizona and Utah than either Romney or McCain (Mormon and home state senator), but they are too Republican in generic partnership for Clinton to have more than a remote chance. Johnson (Libertarian) could make significant inroads in both this year.
Johnson could do damage, but I am pretty sure Trump and the Rs are strong enough to hold on. We happen to have friends and relatives in both states, from what they say, Trump is popular enough to hold on, especially AZ.

Old 06-13-2016, 02:05 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Also, one must never overestimate the public's long-term memory. News quickly gets old, and any spike in Trump support may dissipate in a matter of weeks.
this is not the type of news that will get old quickly. And I do think his boost will be helped, but I hate to see candidates improve their chances by a tragedy like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections