Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 06:36 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,950,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
In any "secret ballot" election, there is room for corruption.
The "dead" will vote, repeatedly.
The paid stooges will turn away in ignorance.
What else can you expect with a democracy?
. . .
The voter fraud myth has been debunked many times. There's always room for corruption, but when it comes to voting, it's very small. I don't know how you can call the way Americans vote a "secret ballot." I know what you mean of course, bit when I walk into a polling location, my ID is checked and scanned. The last time I voted, my driver's license was swiped like a credit card. In 2012, I used a mail-in ballot but chose to deliver it in person. I showed my driver's license and my signature was checked against the one on the envelope in which I placed my ballot. The only way it could be more official is if someone took a video of me casting my ballot and asked me how I voted.

If you can think of a better way, let me know. Frankly, I like the way Oregon votes. It consistently has one of the highest voter turnout because it's easy. What's a real shame is that, on average, only about half of all eligible voters show up at the polls on election day and a lot less vote in the primaries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 06:39 PM

3,079 posts, read 3,123,775 times
You know back in 2008 I thought Palin was the dumbest politician to ever grace a presidential stage. I mean as clueless as they could ever come and that nobody, not a single soul, could ever touch that level of sheer ignorance and be so utterly pathetic and then came one Donald Trump and he has blessed us with a new level of eye popping and brain melting idiotic mumbo jumbo.

We need to just step back and enjoy the massive trainwreck. I for one will continue to revel in the Trump gift that keeps on giving to democrats, independents and other sane voters all over the country.

Old 08-01-2016, 06:43 PM

8,570 posts, read 10,994,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
He's setting himself up to get out of the debates and ultimately to lose the election. Getting all his excuses lined up.
That is pure wishful speculation on your part,and those that think like you.
I believe he will be our next president.

Bob.

Old 08-01-2016, 06:46 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,853,216 times
Trump is merely prepping his supporters for defeat.

I wonder how many Trump supporters right about now are regretting their support for this tremendous imbecile? Pence must be thinking "what did I get myself into?"

Old 08-01-2016, 06:47 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,694,760 times
WikiLeaks proved Crooked Hillary cheated her way to the nomination. What's stopping her from doing the same thing now.

Old 08-01-2016, 06:48 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,556,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
The argument is very strong actually. Unlike some other countries our election data is not compiled by the national government. It's reported out publicly from the local level and then aggregated up. A local election official is in charge of counting the votes in each jurisdiction.

This means that to compromise a national election you would have to compromise MANY people, not just a few.

Further, since all past election data is public, you can clearly tell if there are any abnormalities big enough to cause a major shift. For example between one election and the next, very few counties will differ significantly by more than a few percent from the way they voted last time.
It's convenient that the 2 major parties are established in every state and every county then, huh?

I guess you weren't paying attention to Arizona? Or Chicago? Or California? Or New York? Puerto Rico? during the democratic primary?

Old 08-01-2016, 06:55 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,423,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
It's convenient that the 2 major parties are established in every state and every county then, huh?

I guess you weren't paying attention to Arizona? Or Chicago? Or California? Or New York? Puerto Rico? during the democratic primary?
The primary is not an actual election. It is a party preference contest. Many states don't even have them and use caucuses. I thought you were talking about elections.

Old 08-01-2016, 06:56 PM

381 posts, read 177,488 times
What with North Carolina's voter ID law being struck down as racially discriminatory, this election will likely see a lot of voter fraud. Granted, the law had some other provisions to prevent early voting, but we need ID for many things these days. Just had a store ask me for ID yesterday even though I used my credit card to buy something that was less than $10, but yet asking voters to prove they are who they claim to be is putting a strain on minority communities.

Old 08-01-2016, 07:01 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,950,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
The argument is very strong actually. Unlike some other countries our election data is not compiled by the national government. It's reported out publicly from the local level and then aggregated up. A local election official is in charge of counting the votes in each jurisdiction.

This means that to compromise a national election you would have to compromise MANY people, not just a few.

Further, since all past election data is public, you can clearly tell if there are any abnormalities big enough to cause a major shift. For example between one election and the next, very few counties will differ significantly by more than a few percent from the way they voted last time.
Good post. I agree with the majority what you wrote, except it's possible to overlook small abnormalities and difficult to prove they exist if an election is close, i.e., Florida Nov 2000. My Dad moved to Delray Beach in late 2000 where [URL="http://articles.latimes.com/2000/nov/10/news/mn-49895"]this[/URL] happened. We'll never know the truth about what was called the butterfly ballot. Then there were the hanging chads and the recounts. Hopefully we'll never have another election in which one state decides who wins the presidency and one of the candidate's brother is the sitting Governor of that state.

When I wrote in another post that voter fraud as a whole is almost non-existent, I was talking about individuals, but I think it's possible for insiders to "adjust" results.

Old 08-01-2016, 07:03 PM

6,394 posts, read 4,120,173 times
I've been saying this for months. If Trump is nominated, he will lose bigly. Haha, carry on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections