Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 09:42 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,605,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
I was being factious in regards to Ellis Island (250 years) but I do know (and you do too) that migration to the 'new world' did not start at the construction of Ellis Island and Lady Liberty. With that said, let me show you your 'free white person of good character" ...

Ellis Island - Facts & Summary - HISTORY.com

"When Ellis Island opened, a great change was taking place in immigration to the United States. As arrivals from northern and western Europe–Germany, Ireland, Britain and the Scandinavian countries–slowed, more and more immigrants poured in from southern and eastern Europe. Among this new generation were Jews escaping from political and economic oppression in czarist Russia and eastern Europe (some 484,000 arrived in 1910 alone) and Italians escaping poverty in their country. There were also Poles, Hungarians, Czechs, Serbs, Slovaks and Greeks, along with non-Europeans from Syria, Turkey and Armenia. The reasons they left their homes in the Old World included war, drought, famine and religious persecution, and all had hopes for greater opportunity in the New World."

America was not built as a nationalist country ... Don't make me have to go back to when Columbus sailed those three ships here and went wow, I found Indians.

It was settled though, just not by Europeans ... and there was a national origin, that much is true. However, it was declared unsettled and the battles began. There is no way in hell you can revise this, none.

My ancestors were not born here and neither were yours. Every one here can trace their ancestors to other continents on this earth and to other countries that were established prior to Columbus and his arrival ... as well as the history of Ellis Island.

If the powers that be had not incorporated the birthright citizenship, America would not be the nation it is today ... Tossed Salad anyone?
Most of the rest of the world, for example, gives people citizenship based on a concept known as jus sanguinis, literally "by right of blood."

"The idea there is that the nation, the people are bonded together through ancestry," Skrentny said. "The other notion of nationhood is generally understood as a civic notion of nationhood. And this is the idea that folks are bonded together by where they are, by locality and by the ideas that they might share. And that's what we have in the United States. There are folks who say that, you know, to be an American is to embrace an idea." 3 Things You Should Know About Birthright Citizenship : The Two-Way : NPR
###
Does any one realize 'economically' Trump can not do what he says he will do in regards to the population of the U.S. ? One of the reasons there has been this change in employment numbers is because the baby boomers are retiring out of the workforce. The children of the boomers need to replace them. The boomers did not multiply in the birth rates in order to fill those jobs ... So who is left to work and pay taxes? (government will take care of itself)

I am curious in the area of 'birthright citizen' vs 'by right of blood', who all would be getting deported? My 'right of blood' is German. (does anyone know what a naturalist is?) Because it seems to me, without that clause, a lot of people would not have the legal right to be in this country ...

I get it when looking at, the Europeans came here and took the land from the natives that were here. The Germanic people conquered the Roman Empire ... The Rise and Fall of Civilizations | Gold Eagle

What I get is that this really isn't about immigration at all. However, evolution happens and there is nothing that can stop that. We can stomp our feet and kick up dust all we want, but there is no stopping the inevitable flow of nature, where as 'all' societies will be effected.

What we can do, is keep our humanitarian values about us and embrace the changing faces of tomorrow. If one can not do that, then there may not be a tomorrow ...

Old 08-27-2016, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
The execution may be different, because we are dealing with Human beings. We will not able to deport all of them in Box Cars. However if Trump enforce Laws and deport these people because of Visa Violations it will be a good step forward.

E Verify and the other Immigration Tools enforced will deter many and force others to leave.

To expect a line by line plan in a Campaign is not very realist and there has not many candidates have done that detailed.

Even Clinton Immigration Plan is vague at best!
Quote:
We will not able to deport all of them in Box Cars
Hitler used trains ...

Old 08-27-2016, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It has nothing to do with whether they are Hispanic or not. It's just a fact that most illegals here are Hispanic (mostly Mexicans) though and the majority of Hispanic citizens are demanding amnesty for them in exchange for their votes. If these were mostly Chinese I would feel exactly the same way. It's not an obsession it's about our laws and the very negative impact that illegal immigration has on own citizens and especially the American blue-collared worker. That makes me a concerned, loyal, law abiding citizen not an obsessed one.
You do know there has been a slow down in illegal immigration right?

Old 08-27-2016, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsb62574 View Post
What is his stance? I don't think we know. I don't think he knows.
He is throwing everything out there for the public, to see what will stick.

A great salesman can sell a person who has a nickle, another nickle.

Old 08-27-2016, 09:56 AM

10,103 posts, read 6,447,894 times
Quote:
Hitler used trains ...
Can't rep you again, but will do it here. BTW, love your user name. One of the trio!

Old 08-27-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Can't rep you again, but will do it here. BTW, love your user name. One of the trio!
ty A fan of British literature ... ?
and that woman knew so much; to know her is to read what she wrote.

I have to add ... the conspiracy surrounding Hitler was so big, no one believed it. I see that today with that, that happens in our age. If one says, conspiracy they are immediately labeled a nut case, even when the duck is quaking like a duck ... Same as in the days of past.

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 08-27-2016 at 10:09 AM.. Reason: to add paragraph

Old 08-27-2016, 11:18 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,114,343 times
Quote:
I've tried explaining this to the Trump supporters who think there are immense hordes swarming across the border every other second ... believe me. They don't get it. I have gradually come to the conclusion that they don't really care about legal status. Legal, illegal, native born ... it does not matter to them. They want all Hispanics kicked out.

Old 08-27-2016, 11:25 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,271,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I support his stance to enforce our immigration laws on the books as illegals are found (not mass round ups) and the 700 mile wall to be completed, e-verify and ending birthright citizenship for their kids.
He's not building a wall and he's not changing the constitution.

Old 08-27-2016, 11:36 AM

22,482 posts, read 12,022,969 times
Quote:
Really? You couldn't prove it where I live.

Old 08-27-2016, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Really? You couldn't prove it where I live.
You know what I find interesting? I find it interesting that people don't look things up. But I have a theory ... they don't really want to know there have been actual changes to their world. That way any one can tell them anything and they will believe it.

"As the Department of Homeland Security continues to pour money into border security, evidence is emerging that illegal immigration flows have fallen to their lowest level in at least two decades. The nation’s population of illegal immigrants, which more than tripled, to 12.2 million, between 1990 and 2007, has dropped by about 1 million, according to demographers at the Pew Research Center." https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...2a4_story.html

Frequently Requested Statistics on Immigrants and Immigration in the United States | migrationpolicy.org

"Immigration to the United States is often the subject of significant public and political debate, with questions about the size of inflows, the role of immigrants in the labor market, enforcement and humanitarian admission policies, and benefits and costs. As such, it is important for the public to have access to accurate, unbiased current and historical information about immigration."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections