Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 08:03 PM

25,592 posts, read 17,323,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misanthrope83 View Post
Johnson is wrong.He could be Hillary's VP as liberal as his policies are.Bad on trade for American workers,WIDE open borders,legalize drugs...guy is a liberal in libertarians clothing.He obviously still thinks the majority of republicans WANT RINO scum....we don't! Romney and McCain were more than enough.
There are a lot of things about Johnson's beliefs and even the Libertarian platform that I don't like. But if I understand what he is saying, I actually agree - the Republican Party is dying. The Republicans have hammered their right to life and definition of marriage stakes too far into the ground for me.
Death may come slowly or it may come as an avalanche during the coming years but I think the end is at hand. We, The People, just won't go that direction with them.

The Democratic Party also shows signs of dying. They have carefully trapped innocent people into being dependent upon the government. Many people who vote "Democrat" are simply victims of the group of self serving control freaks that call themselves the DNC. And a lot of people are starting to get real tired of being treated like some kind of endangered species.

But I don't want The Republicans to go away just yet. I want a three party system so entrenched that there is a third color represented in the chart showing the make-up of the legislature. THAT (!) would be success!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 08:10 PM

1,202 posts, read 642,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
There are a lot of things about Johnson's beliefs and even the Libertarian platform that I don't like. But if I understand what he is saying, I actually agree - the Republican Party is dying. The Republicans have hammered their right to life and definition of marriage stakes too far into the ground for me.
Death may come slowly or it may come as an avalanche during the coming years but I think the end is at hand. We, The People, just won't go that direction with them.

The Democratic Party also shows signs of dying. They have carefully trapped innocent people into being dependent upon the government. Many people who vote "Democrat" are simply victims of the group of self serving control freaks that call themselves the DNC. And a lot of people are starting to get real tired of being treated like some kind of endangered species.

But I don't want The Republicans to go away just yet. I want a three party system so entrenched that there is a third color represented in the chart showing the make-up of the legislature. THAT (!) would be success!
I don't think its dying so much as its changing.....its HOPEFULLY going to become a populist,nationalist,america first party that reaches out to working class folks.

Old 08-22-2016, 08:39 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,906,560 times
If anyone is the true RINO, it's Trump. Prior to last year, Trump was having bacon and eggs every weekend with Bill and Hillary.

Old 08-22-2016, 08:55 PM

1,202 posts, read 642,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
If anyone is the true RINO, it's Trump. Prior to last year, Trump was having bacon and eggs every weekend with Bill and Hillary.
Lol OK. Trump is a populist and nationalist. NOT a RINO.

Old 08-22-2016, 09:10 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,891,264 times
Exclamation BS Johnson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Considering how irrelevant Johnson is, I don't see why it matters.
Ditto, I do not even know we bring him up if he did not even have the courage to run on the Democratic ticketed. He is such a none issue at this point of the Game.
Clinton is going to be forced to drop out and there you go Mr. Johnson. We saw what happen to Senator Sanders.

I can even believe I wasting time to post up on Mr. Johnson.

Old 08-22-2016, 09:13 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,475,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJJG2012 View Post
Johnson/Weld are not doing this for personal riches. Libertarians may or may not be rich, but they don't worship money, as in taking big bribes from special interest groups trying to modify their positions.

When Gary Johnson ran for guv of NM 1st time as Rep., against the incumbent Dem. in a state that is 2/3 Democrats, nobody felt he had a chance. So, he only got $30K donations from others & put up $510K of his own money, essentially as a gift to the people of NM. He barely won, but won a second term by a wide margin. He inherited a deficit, cut taxes 14 times, vetoed or line itemed 100s of bills & left $1B surplus.

Gary Johnson believes most people are Libertarians but don't know it. Libertarians are fiscally responsible & socially tolerant. There is nothing phony about them. Ask them a question, you'll get an honest answer. They are definitely *not* business as usual. Democrats and Republicans get huge bribes from corporations. If you want corporate rule to continue & favor Republicans, your choice is obvious. Best wishes.
I agree 100% with you on the bought off/self-serving nature of politics. Though where we differ is thinking that weld/johnson would be any different in the end if they were elected pres/vp. Look at sander's. Grass root donations/supposedly taking no big $ from corporations and what happens.....he endorses clinton in the end..... the one he said wasn't qualified to be pres....bought off.......owned by wall street, etc. So even sander's in my view clearly sold out in a most pathetic display. And many of his supporters felt just like you do about johnson and weld once upon a time.

I've been watching politics for enough time to know when I hear "this political person/thing/entity is different this time" to just laugh and say, "yeah, sure.....and enjoy the artificial colored/flavor drink with the rose colored shades". Again, sander's is exhibit A in what a sellout he ended up being in the end. Hope he's enjoying his 3rd vacation home I read/still a champion of the "little guy" whom I'm sure have as many homes as he does.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/sanders-w...-election.html

"MONTPELIER, Vt. (AP) — Sen. Bernie Sanders has pushed hard for transparency on U.S. trade and campaign finance, but has been far less aggressive in disclosing his own personal finances.

Now his wife and campaign confidante, Jane O'Meara Sanders, is defending the senator's decision not to file a candidate personal finance disclosure and talking about the purchase of a new vacation home."

"On another financial matter, Jane Sanders said she and her husband paid cash — $575,000 — for the four-bedroom summer house they recently bought in North Hero, Vermont, on the Lake Champlain shore."

Good for him/what he wants to do with his money is fine but he's not walking the walk on what he preaches. And this is pathetic/the ultimate hypocrite in my book.

And as ghostrider AZ stated in the post above.....I also don't think johnson/weld have a snowball chance to even break a few % in the election so it all doesn't matter much in the end.

Last edited by stevek64; 08-22-2016 at 09:22 PM..

Old 08-22-2016, 09:28 PM

33,587 posts, read 18,188,329 times
Kick the Rinos to the curb!

Old 08-22-2016, 09:58 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,676,690 times
Quote:

He's tapped into that anger. But that is not, in my opinion, representative of the majority of the Republican Party.

Libertarian candidate Gary Johnson says most of GOP right now 'is me'

The Republican base and the democrat base is not that big actually.
It is the independents that see the lesser of 2 establishment evils, every election cycle... Except now.

It has been a very long time since someone never involved in politics in anyway, to say, I'm running for President of the United States of America and be where Trump is.

Old 08-22-2016, 10:07 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,393,554 times
Quote:
What are you talking about?
If "Trump and Johnson can certainly have a combined total higher than that" then no one can win.

Perhaps you don't understand the rules that apply if no one gets to 270 on Nov 8. (?)
You missed the point entirely. Clinton WILL get to 270, and get there first. Even if Trump finally reaches 270, he won't get to it as fast as Clinton will. Trump and Johnson combined could easily total over 280.

Being the first is important. It is meant to be a tie breaker. Back in the days when it took a week or more to tabulate the voting it was more important than it is now, but it still counts, especially in a very close race.

That's where the geography of the Blue Wall comes into play. The blue states have the earliest returns and the latest returns. If the race isn't settled by the east coast returns early, it's settled late by the west coast.

And the Democrats have solid majority states in both critical places. That's why Ohio, always a swing state, is so important. It's in the Eastern time zone, so it's often the state that either cements the win or makes a late decision possible. Other important swing states in the same time zone are N. Carolina, Virginia, Michigan, Georgia, and Florida.

Sometimes the Central time zone states will decide an election if the Eastern zone deadlocks, but Central is always a mixed bag.

The Mountain time zone rarely settles things because the states have low populations, but the Pacific time zone has California, Oregon, Washington, and Nevada. They settle the late decisions.

Old 08-23-2016, 03:21 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,132,100 times
Quote:

Don't forget the seething anger of all of the Bernie supporters. None of us are happy with the DNC and what they did to him. Many of us despise Hillary as well. We're just not going to hand the election to a narcissist with an impulse control problem, so we are keeping our mouths shut, and probably voting the party line in the swing states. For now. You may get your third party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections