Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 01:17 PM

25,592 posts, read 17,318,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I think the Republican Party fears the Libertarian Party.
I'm sure the Republicans do, and so do the smart Democrats.

In every poll, Johnson takes from both parties.

If he makes it to 15%, and if he does well in the debate he may prevent Hillary from getting to 270 on Nov 8. That'll be the end of her and she will simply become the answer to a future trivia question.

Today, Hillary is still a shoo-in. Johnson may change that; I don't think Trump can by himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 02:27 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,954,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I'm sure the Republicans do, and so do the smart Democrats.

In every poll, Johnson takes from both parties.

If he makes it to 15%, and if he does well in the debate he may prevent Hillary from getting to 270 on Nov 8. That'll be the end of her and she will simply become the answer to a future trivia question.

Today, Hillary is still a shoo-in. Johnson may change that; I don't think Trump can by himself.
I would love to see a third party shake up the monopoly the Democrats and Republicans have had on American politics for the last 160 years.

Old 08-23-2016, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I would love to see a third party shake up the monopoly the Democrats and Republicans have had on American politics for the last 160 years.
Man, wouldn't THAT be great!

Johnson and Weld make a point that I think is valid:
They say that a great many sitting legislators would breath a sigh of relief if a third party is installed, because that would mean all those legislators would have the option of doing their own thinking and voting their own mind. They wouldn't have to consider what punishment might be meted out if they voted against the grain.

Just as many years of unblushing partisanship has delivered us to the point we are now, I think some years of independent leadership will unwind this awful ball of string that is Washington, D.C.
All of us - liberals and conservatives - would be better off.

Old 08-24-2016, 10:06 AM

280 posts, read 250,555 times
The 15% threshold is crap and should be lowered to 5%.

Not many people 100% agree with a candidate. I am probably going to vote for Johnson but think his policy on immigration is terrible. Having more options is a good thing for everyone to pick a candidate that they feel good about and not just picking someone because they are the lesser of 2 evils.

Old 08-24-2016, 12:34 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,821,377 times
I have a question and a comment: question: explain to this old lady, how a party is dying when they control both houses and the governorships of so many states?

My comment: I heard Gary on the five yesterday, if I was tempted to support or even vote for him, I totally changed my mind.

BuzrulesSD: 5% no way, but I would go for 10%.

Old 08-24-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

My comment: I heard Gary on the five yesterday, if I was tempted to support or even vote for him, I totally changed my mind............
I didn't get to see him.

So give us a clue what the turn off is.

Old 08-24-2016, 03:08 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,723,100 times
He doesn't want the huge tax on imported products that Trump wants. Currently we can buy goods made overseas at prices Americans can afford.

He favors requirements for Mexicans to be in US, like work visas, where they let the gov't know they are here, get a social security # & pay taxes. Also, he wants a path to citizenship, not automatic.

Cannabis can help us live longer, healthier & happier lives. The majority want it legalized. Is that bad? If you think that is a liberal position, then most conservatives must want to suffer needlessly & die prematurely.

Johnson wants smaller Federal govt. Is that a liberal position? Most say no. He wants lower taxes, is that a liberal position? Most say no.

Do you want almost unlimited wars at great financial/taxpayer cost, along with large #s of lives lost? Trump & Clinton do, Johnson doesn't.

Do you want long prison sentences for those who've not harmed others? Dem's & Rep's do, Johnson doesn't.

QUOTE=Misanthrope83;45227662]Johnson is wrong.He could be Hillary's VP as liberal as his policies are.Bad on trade for American workers,WIDE open borders,legalize drugs...guy is a liberal in libertarians clothing.He obviously still thinks the majority of republicans WANT RINO scum....we don't! Romney and McCain were more than enough.[/quote]

Old 08-24-2016, 03:09 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,714,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
John Harwood, CNBC, released an interview with Libertarian Gary Johnson. In the interview, Johnson makes some key comments about why he should become president.

Detractors are fond of saying 'never'.
I am not so sure, given the fact that neither of other candidates are well liked, even by their own party.
But even Johnson himself says he can't win if he can't get into the debates.

Libertarian candidate Gary Johnson says most of GOP right now 'is me'
no bigger insignificant clown out there now than johnson.

Old 08-24-2016, 03:24 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,723,100 times
Do you want a candidate bribed by corporations, or other special interest groups? Or would you prefer a candidate that cares about the 100% equally, that considers you as important as anyone?

Gary will talk about dozens of issues, Libertarians don't keep secrets from voters.

Dem's & Rep's only control by getting big bribes from special interests, it doesn't mean they are offering most what they want.

I don't know about "the five" if that is website or TV station. How many issues did they discuss? Libertarians have clear positions on at least 3 dozen issues. Best wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I have a question and a comment: question: explain to this old lady, how a party is dying when they control both houses and the governorships of so many states?

My comment: I heard Gary on the five yesterday, if I was tempted to support or even vote for him, I totally changed my mind.

BuzrulesSD: 5% no way, but I would go for 10%.

Old 08-24-2016, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
no bigger insignificant clown out there now than johnson.
Maybe you should give specifics.
That's what most people are doing. And no one is throwing rocks at them, either.

So, how about it? What's the non-starter for you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections