Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 04:02 PM

13,606 posts, read 4,937,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
He's in favor of TPP and big spending. I'd rather vote for Jill Stein.
I don't know about big spending. According to his website:

"Johnson is best known for resisting the temptation to solve every problem with government spending and regulation, having vetoed more than 750 bills during his time in office — probably more than all other governors combined. He also cut taxes 14 times while never raising them. He balanced the state’s budget, and left New Mexico with a billion-dollar surplus."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2016, 04:53 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,982,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
He's in favor of TPP and big spending. I'd rather vote for Jill Stein.
You would vote for a criminal with a warrant out for her arrest?

Green Party's Jill Stein charged with trespassing, mischief

Old 09-07-2016, 05:00 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,269,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
......would vote for Gary Johnson, he could actually win this election.

I for one, have been thinking that I'm forced to support Hillary, because a President Trump would be an absolute disaster. I know many Trump supporters feel the same way about Clinton. But I've been taking a close look at Johnson-Weld lately, and what I see is:

They want smaller government with lower taxes and a balanced budget (good for conservatives)
They support immigration, same-sex marriage and legal marijuana (good for liberals)
They support a strong defense, but not entanglement in other countries (good for isolationists)
They support free trade (good for internationalists)
They both have experience as successful governors (good for pro-establishment types)
They represent a break from the old 2-party system (good for anti-establishment types)

So not perfect, but something for everyone and, best of all, NO SCANDALS. No health concerns either (Johnson runs marathons and has climbed Mt Everest).

I really think that if Johnson were allowed into the debates, the exposure could propel him to a challenging position. This year, there's a lot of people wishing for a different choice. Why not Libertarian Gary Johnson?
His energy/environmental policy is simply too regressive. Can't get on board with that.

Old 09-07-2016, 05:08 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,956,603 times
"smaller government with lower taxes" -- means cut or eliminate Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid while lowering taxes on the rich.
"support a strong defense" -- we already spend more money than all other nations combined and already have a strong defense.

Libertarian is the party of the gold standard. They are a party that was ripe 100 years ago.

Old 09-07-2016, 05:17 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,703,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
You would vote for a criminal with a warrant out for her arrest?

Green Party's Jill Stein charged with trespassing, mischief
Wow, trespassing and mischief... so much worse than:

investigations and actual court proceedings for fraud - trump U;
housing discrimination - can we just say "colored";
bribery - pam bondi, among others;
stupidity - not paying what he promised to little girls for entertaining at 2 events for him;
more stupidity - settling for paying $300,000 for stiffing a subcontractor for a $34,000 bill;
even more stupidity - paying a bribe with trump foundation money...

Old 09-07-2016, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
Wow, trespassing and mischief... so much worse than:

investigations and actual court proceedings for fraud - trump U;
housing discrimination - can we just say "colored";
bribery - pam bondi, among others;
stupidity - not paying what he promised to little girls for entertaining at 2 events for him;
more stupidity - settling for paying $300,000 for stiffing a subcontractor for a $34,000 bill;
even more stupidity - paying a bribe with trump foundation money...
Who gives a crap about Trump he and Clinton are equally as corrupt as one another regardless of how many examples you give of his issues while conveniently ignoring hers.

Anyway, enough about those two losers, here is Jill the act. Don't forget being a vandal and destroying private property though for Stein.Brilliant move for an active POTUS candidate to tresspass and vandalize, just dipping her toe in the waters of becoming a bigger criminal like other candidates.

https://twitter.com/KXMB/status/773210869773676544

Old 09-07-2016, 05:33 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,343,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
Johnson hasn't proven to be a stout libertarian at all, but I would still vote for him over the current terrible choices if it meant the party could get a foothold in our government.
In the heady days of my youth, as a far-too-doctrinal campus libertarian activist, it was fashionable to talk about a "society without coercion", where all functions of statecraft, save for a supposedly-impartial court system and basic public-safety agencies, would be privatized.

But most of us had to grow up and deal with both the insecurities of living paycheck-to-paycheck, and the predisposition of employers (admittedly far too empowered by mass production, mass marketing, and their Madison Avenue allies) to exploit every weakness within the system.

So I strongly doubt that most of us would be eager for a social framework based on "anarchy plus a constable", Safety nets, albeit on a much more primitive basis, have been a part of life in industrialized communities since Colonial days. The difference lies in the ability of an unmotivated component within those societies to exploit the workings of an over-centralized and under-policed system; (since a bureaucrat's power, influence and monetary compensation are linked to the size of his/her "clientele" there is little or no incentive to reform or economize).

That would be the greatest single challenge, and the greatest potential for serious reform facing any libertarian at the levers of power.

Old 09-07-2016, 05:44 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,607,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
In the heady days of my youth, as a far-too-doctrinal campus libertarian activist, it was fashionable to talk about a "society without coercion", where all functions of statecraft, save for a supposedly-impartial court system and basic public-safety agencies, would be privatized.

But most of us had to grow up and deal with both the insecurities of living paycheck-to-paycheck, and the predisposition of employers (admittedly far too empowered by mass production, mass marketing, and their Madison Avenue allies) to exploit every weakness within the system.

So I strongly doubt that most of us would be eager for a social framework based on "anarchy plus a constable", Safety nets, albeit on a much more primitive basis, have been a part of life in industrialized communities since Colonial days. The difference lies in the ability of an unmotivated component within those societies to exploit the workings of an over-centralized and under-policed system; (since a bureaucrat's power, influence and monetary compensation are linked to the size of his/her "clientele" there is little or no incentive to reform or economize).

That would be the greatest single challenge, and the greatest potential for serious reform facing any libertarian at the levers of power.
I'm not certain why you directed your condescending comment towards my post, but I don't promote the ideology you are describing.

Old 09-07-2016, 05:46 PM

Quote:
I'm not certain why you directed your condescending comment towards my post, but I don't promote the ideology you are describing.
People can't resist the urge to call Libertarians anarchists, its like they turn in to Pavlovs dogs.

Old 09-07-2016, 07:44 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,343,520 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
People can't resist the urge to call Libertarians anarchists, its like they turn in to Pavlovs dogs.
What I was attempting to convey was the point that there is ideology or idealpolitik, and there is realpolitik -- and any public figure who wants to find his/her calling has to be able to differentiate between the two. Between the Democrats' continuing leftward drift and Trump's apparent inability to rein in his outbursts, the opportunity for a newcomer to pursue a sensible path in between is stronger than it's been in decades, and Johnson's approach is far more pragmatic than Stein's.

Local control and policing of the societal safety net, with whatever degree of clearly delimited centralization is required to identify, categorize and discourage the worst abuses is the single most important component in stopping the "blue cancer" which will be more of a threat as the economy de-industrializes, immigration decreases, and filling the roles no one wants becomes an ever-greater challenge. And this is an issue neither Clinton nor Trump wants to tackle. And I believe that the leader who identifies it in blunt and honest language will find far more support than the deceivers within the Dem-RINO accommodation will admit.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 09-07-2016 at 08:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections