Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2016, 12:03 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 21 days ago)

29,549 posts, read 16,536,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Economist 5%
Rasmussen 1%
Fox 3%
ABC News 6%
IBD/TIPP 2%
Reuters 4%
CNN/ORC 5%

There are now 10 polls making up the RCP 4-way average - 7 of those have it 6% or less.
IDK how RCP does its average, but lets remember that some of these are individual polls, others are tracking and they all have different sample sizes and methods(Likely vs registered voter)

For example

Rasmussen and IBD both had clinton losing or tied) just a week ago ( Rassmussen Trump +2, IBD Trump Tie)

While they may bring the average down, it is not because it is closer in more polls, but because they both would have bumped off other polls like the Associated Press one that has her up 14 in a 4 way race or Qunnipiac that has her up 9.

And again it is a change from her losing or being tied to her leading in those very same polls.

in short, your analysis is misleading.

Old 10-27-2016, 12:07 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 21 days ago)

29,549 posts, read 16,536,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
According to our resident "experts" simply mentioning a poll that could in any way favor Trump is cherry picking. Fascist.

For example, if I mention that 9 of 11 polls making up the RCP average have it within 6% (average 3.3%) - I'm accused of cherry picking.
Based on the dates the polls were conducted(not the dates released) there hasnt been a poll with Trump in the lead since 10/13

and even then, it was an outlier, which does indeed mean you were cherry picking. I dont think there has been a single point in this election where you could sample 10 polls and have 5 come up with trump leading.

Mind you that he also doesnt have an electoral college(no toss up) lead at any point either, which is what really matters.

Old 10-27-2016, 12:21 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times
Let me put it this way, today is 10/27 and when I read the latest poll analysis on the Rachel Maddow blog, I sighed and shook my head. So, I'm not going to write off Trump until the election is over.

"As the race tightens a bit, those voters should realize that a Clinton victory is not a foregone conclusion, and while Trump is an underdog, it’s plausible to imagine a scenario in which he continues to close the gap in the race’s final days.

In other words, the more race “tightens,” the more it reminds the American electorate that this thing isn’t over, and the possibility of a Trump presidency remains real."

[URL="http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/latest-polls-offer-mixed-results-clinton-trump"]Latest polls offer mixed results for Clinton, Trump[/URL]

Old 10-27-2016, 12:23 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Let me put it this way, today is 10/27 and when I read the latest poll analysis on the Rachel Maddow blog, I sighed and shook my head. So, I'm not going to write off Trump until the election is over.

"As the race tightens a bit, those voters should realize that a Clinton victory is not a foregone conclusion, and while Trump is an underdog, it’s plausible to imagine a scenario in which he continues to close the gap in the race’s final days.

In other words, the more race “tightens,” the more it reminds the American electorate that this thing isn’t over, and the possibility of a Trump presidency remains real."

Latest polls offer mixed results for Clinton, Trump
That's why it's important to volunteer if you live in a battleground state. If you live close enough to a battleground state, then go there and volunteer. If you can't do that, then phone bank.

Old 10-27-2016, 12:31 PM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,703,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
IDK how RCP does its average
I'm sure they normalize the data in some way. They surely don't just take averages and average them. That wouldn't be smart.

Old 10-27-2016, 12:35 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,414,249 times
Bottom line, the majority of news (particularly in early voting) favors Clinton at the moment, so for CNN to make a big stink over the Bloomberg and Fox polls is just laughable.

The race should tighten a bit down the stretch, but not nearly enough to give Donald the win. The cake is all but baked at this point.

As for that Bloomberg poll, compared to Obama's polling in Florida, HRC is in much better position: RealClearPolitics - Election 2012 - Florida: Romney vs. Obama

Thr final RCP average in FL before the 2012 election was +1.5 for Romney, yet Obama carried the state. So yeah, Bloomberg has Trump +2, big whoop. Two other polls released the same day had Hillary up +3. She has the lead and the MUCH stronger ground game. It's her state to lose.

Last edited by RaymondChandlerLives; 10-27-2016 at 12:49 PM..

Old 10-27-2016, 12:39 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I'm sure they normalize the data in some way. They surely don't just take averages and average them. That wouldn't be smart.
RCP does average them, 538 weights it by sample size, accuracy of pollster, how recent the poll is, trend lines for older polls, etc

Old 10-27-2016, 12:41 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Today wasn't a very good polling day for Trump. He is ahead in Louisiana though.

Old 10-27-2016, 12:42 PM

51,650 posts, read 25,807,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
The race should tighten a bit down the stretch, but not nearly enough to give Donald the win. The cake is all but baked at this point.

Thr final RCP average in FL before the 2012 election was +1.5 for Romney, yet Obama carried the state. So yeah, Bloomberg has Trump +2, big whoop. Two other polls released the same day had Hillary up +3. She has the lead and the MUCH stronger ground game. It's her state to lose.
She could lose Florida and still win as long as Pennsylvania and Colorado stay on board.

Old 10-27-2016, 12:44 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post

Latest polls offer mixed results for Clinton, Trump

The funny thing is that article says

Quote:
Taken together, what we see is an electoral landscape in which Clinton is still favored to win the election, but her odds have slipped a bit as GOP partisans start to gravitate anew towards their party’s slate.
with a link to The Upshot http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...-forecast.html where the odds have slipped all they way from a max high last week of 93% ALL THE WAY DOWN to 92%

But this is actually the narrative being pushed by the Clinton campaign too - from what I can tell, internal polling is ok, this isn't a panic situation, but they know that poll numbers still need to be converted into actual votes and they want to make sure that people don't get complacent and not bother. And I think the goal is to really try to run up the numbers, to take away any possible claims by a sore loser Trump that the alleged rigging led to a different outcome. Not that he has proof of any voter fraud of course, but the larger the margin, the marginalized that claim becomes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections