Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 06:06 AM

51,656 posts, read 25,878,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
So Christians should choose their faith and vote for Hillary?

Shirley you can't be serious.

Looks by your thinking that black evangelicals are choosing the world ( the genocide of the unborn, trans depravity, basically every social issue the democrats stand for ) over their faith.
I've always wondered about how people who claim to follow the teachings of Christ got on the conservative side of so many social issues.

Jesus preached about loving one another as he loved us, about caring for the less fortunate, about sharing what we have with each other, about judge not less we be judged...

So how is it that some Christians came to believe that being selfish and self-righteous was the way to go? That's not something he ever preached. He preached love and acceptance. Difficult to imagine Jesus turning his back on a trans person or a gay person. Or encouraging anyone else to do so either.

How is it that the "genocide of the unborn" became more important than taking care of our children?

As Sister Joan Chittister put it: "I do not believe that just because you're opposed to abortion, that that makes you pro-life. In fact, I think in many cases, your morality is deeply lacking if all you want is a child born but not a child fed, not a child educated, not a child housed. And why would I think that you don't? Because you don't want any tax money to go there. That's not pro-life. That's pro-birth. We need a much broader conversation on what the morality of pro-life is."

If it's "Thou shalt not kill" and nothing else matters, then why are Christians not standing opposition to the death penalty or war for that matter?

I can understand people not wanting to spend their tax money on things that don't directly benefit them, but why pull Jesus into it?

I can see people not wanting to have anything to do with LBGT people, some can be a handful, but why pull Jesus into it?

I've never understood why Christians are so adamant about shoving their personal prejudices onto everyone else. That's not something Jesus ever preached.

So odd.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 11-04-2016 at 06:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2016, 06:27 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,712,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I've always wondered about how people who claim to follow the teachings of Christ got on the conservative side of so many social issues.

Jesus preached about loving one another as he loved us, about caring for the less fortunate, about sharing what we have with each other, about judge not less we be judged...

So how is it that Christians came to believe that being selfish and self-righteous was the way to go? That's not something he ever preached. He preached love and acceptance. Difficult to imagine Jesus turning his back on a trans person or a gay person. Or encouraging anyone else to do so either.

How is it that the "genocide of the unborn" became more important than taking care of our children?

As Sister Joan Chittister put it: "I do not believe that just because you're opposed to abortion, that that makes you pro-life. In fact, I think in many cases, your morality is deeply lacking if all you want is a child born but not a child fed, not a child educated, not a child housed. And why would I think that you don't? Because you don't want any tax money to go there. That's not pro-life. That's pro-birth. We need a much broader conversation on what the morality of pro-life is."

If it's "Thou shalt not kill" and nothing else matters, then why are Christians not standing opposition to the death penalty or war for that matter?

I can understand people not wanting to spend their tax money on things that don't directly benefit them, but why pull Jesus into it?

I can see people not wanting to have anything to do with LBGT people, some can be a handful, but why pull Jesus into it?

I've never understood why Christians are so adamant about shoving their personal prejudices onto everyone else. That's not something Jesus ever preached.

So odd.
So odd to offer such a vast generalization as support for your position. Many things are equally important, so your argument that genocide is a better choice is irrational. Quoting Sister Joan does not give it greater substance.

She says, if all you want is a child born but not a child fed, not a child educated, not a child housed. And why would I think that you don't? Because you don't want any tax money to go there. That's not pro-life. That's pro-birth. We need a much broader conversation on what the morality of pro-life is."

The key word is IF. Republicans/Conservatives/Christians do want children fed, educated and housed. They want everyone, including children to live in safe neighborhoods and have good opportunities to reach their potential. They DO NOT PUSH THE ELDERLY (nor anyone else) over the cliff. Stop the nonsense.

As for tax dollars going to towards support, it's well that they do. Churches used to give much more support before government became the caregiver. It should go back to that. You can't expect the government to do Jesus' work. Christians believe in not only giving a man a fish, but also in teaching him to fish. Help by giving a hand up, or keep a person down by providing everything for them. Which is more compassionate?

Like quoting Jesus? I think he also said that he who will not work shall not eat. (note, that does not mean CANNOT WORK. It means WILL NOT work.). Why work if you can get a government check on a regular basis that is greater than you could get for a week of labor?

Pro-birth is the same as pro-life. Please don't confuse the issue by engaging in partisanship. Be fair.
God is watching.

Old 11-04-2016, 06:41 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,063,841 times
Quote:
Shirley is serious.

"I do not believe that just because you're opposed to abortion, that that makes you pro-life. In fact, I think in many cases, your morality is deeply lacking if all you want is a child born but not a child fed, not a child educated, not a child housed. And why would I think that you don't? Because you don't want any tax money to go there. That's not pro-life. That's pro-birth. We need a much broader conversation on what the morality of pro-life is." Sister Joan Chittister

Sadly, many cherry pick the Bible to find passages to support their own prejudices.

Fortunately, not all do.
In America there are programs that attempt to make sure all children born are fed, housed and educated. How many evangelicals don't want any tax money going "there"?

Quote:
Those who understand the parables about the loaves and fishes, the good Samaritan... and believe what Jesus said about loving one another... find backing the social programs of Democrats makes more sense than what the Republicans are pushing.
The parable of the loaves and fishes is not about government programs and taxation it is about sharing. As a whole Chrsitians are generous to charities dedicated to providing for those who need food , shelter , clothing, etc.

Old 11-04-2016, 06:49 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,063,841 times
Quote:
Do you believe most Christians do not want to have anything to do with LGBT people?
If so I would suspect you don't know many Christians or you are basing your opinions on internet posters or listening to anti-Christian biased media or even a few online preachers who do not seem to really practice Christianity.

Old 11-04-2016, 07:06 AM

I appreciate your thoughtful responses.

I was thinking about this in terms of Evangelical Christians supporting Trump despite being disgusted by his remarks.

Based on what I know about the stories in the Bible, they should be disgusted about all sorts of his positions as well as the positions of conservative Republicans in general.

Old 11-04-2016, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
In America there are programs that attempt to make sure all children born are fed, housed and educated. How many evangelicals don't want any tax money going "there"?
It's not Evangelical Christians, it's the Republican party candidates, in this case Trump, and the positions that they support.

Republicans are forever working to cut funding to programs that benefit children. Democrats are the ones who advocate for programs that benefit children and the less fortunate.

So you would think Evangelical Christians who be supportive of Democrats. Some are, but many aren't.

Just seems odd to me.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 11-04-2016 at 07:39 AM..

Old 11-04-2016, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
Do you believe most Christians do not want to have anything to do with LGBT people?
If so I would suspect you don't know many Christians or you are basing your opinions on internet posters or listening to anti-Christian biased media or even a few online preachers who do not seem to really practice Christianity.
I know good Christians that are fine with LBGT people.

However, I also know a lot who are adamantly opposed to fair treatment for LBGT folks and it is not biased media or a few crackpot online preachers.

I live in a state that passed a law against people who are gay and lesbian being able to marry. This wasn't a few internet crackpots, this was the majority of the voters in the state.

During the run up to that vote, I was trying to find a church that sang the old hymns. ("My God is an Awesome God" just doesn't do it for me. Each to their own.) Pastors were preaching hate from the pulpit. I went to at least a dozen different churches during this time and not one person in the congregation, not one, stood up in support of love and tolerance. I'm not kidding.

The Supreme Court struck that law down.

Justices are now going to be taking a look at a law about who can use which bathroom. We'll see how that goes. But the support for HB2 is not coming from online crackpots or biased media. It is coming from my "good Christian" neighbors down the street with the signs in their yards.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 11-04-2016 at 07:40 AM..

Old 11-04-2016, 07:30 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,951,786 times
While Jesus did feed people, that was not His primary mission; He did not come to feed people beans and potatoes. He came to show them the way to real life through His word.

Old 11-04-2016, 07:32 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,523,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Am I surprised that the leading authority for discrimination of women is still backing a misogynist? No.
There a bunch of phonies. Masters at projection. Al the stuff they point fingers at others, they themselves are guilty of.

I have looked for a church I could 'fit' into. Basic saved Christian. No craziness, just concern for fellow man, no money begging, Where our money went to help others in the community not have the leader live a lavish lifestyle.
4 cities 40 years of searching. I found one where there wasn't a sex scandal going on between the pastor and whoever.
When you have a pastor kill himself, for evil deeds, boy is that the wrong leader/church.

Old 11-04-2016, 07:32 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,951,786 times
Quote:
I know good Christians that are fine with LBGT people.

However, I also know a lot who are adamantly opposed to fair treatment for LBGT folks and it is not biased media or few crackpot online preachers.

I live in a state that passed a law against people who are gay and lesbian being able to marry. This wasn't a few internet crackpots, this was the majority of the voters in the state.

During the run up to that vote, I was trying to find a church that sang the old hymns. ("My God is an Awesome God" just doesn't do it for me. Each to their own.) Pastors were preaching hate from the pulpit. I went to at least a dozen different churches during this time and not one person in the congregation, not one, stood up in support of love and tolerance. I'm not kidding.

The Supreme Court struck that law down. Justices are now going to be taking a look at a law about who can use which bathroom. We'll see how that goes. But the support for HB2 is not coming from online crackpots or biased media. It is coming from my "good Christian" neighbors down the street with the signs in their yards.
Jesus did not allow gays to marry, as it's contrary to Scripture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections