Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 08:31 PM

1,640 posts, read 795,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Narcissists tend to have little sense of humor and frequently just don't get the concept of mild, good-humored jokes about others' or their own foibles. They either become angry or fake their responses while failing to get all but the most obvious jokes, if they're the object of others' humor, or go way overboard and get heavy-handed when trying to mock others. Subtlety is not their strong point.
I don't know if he's actually a narcissist, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was a diagnosis for him. He seems to not grasp social cues.

My husband pointed out that one of his biggest laughs was at Melania's expense rather than at his expense, as it should have been.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2016, 08:32 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,760,894 times
In all honesty, I was looking for Gilligan's Island and I saw the Roast on CSPAN. I turned it on and everyone looked happy. I decided to watch it.

Old 10-20-2016, 08:38 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,903,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Well, when I turned it on, he was being funny and everyone laughed, I think even Hillary... I thought Oh Good, everyone's relaxing tonight and not fighting.
Trump started well, but quickly declined into badly delivered, mean-spirited "jokes" that simply were not funny or particularly clever (including a dumb but otherwise inoffensive story about Hillary supposedly going to see a priest for confession - she's Methodist), few of which drew any but the weakest laughter and several of which drew boos, unheard of at such an event. He should tell his joke-writer "You're fired!"

Hillary's jokes and delivery were spot-on and topical but not mean-spirited. They were well-received. Her sense of comic timing was very good.

Old 10-20-2016, 08:40 PM

30,373 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Trump hit it out of the park...A++...LMAO funny. Hillary was a solid B....a chuckle or two.

Old 10-20-2016, 08:43 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,455,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Donald's on right now making fun of Hillary, but everyone is laughing! It's like the debate but funny.
I heard booing. You never hear booing at these events. And it's mostly a partisan Republican group.

Old 10-20-2016, 08:43 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,941,073 times
I was laughing and thought Trump's jokes were funny, especially the "pardon me" one. I just got to 13 minutes and he's changing the entire tone. It's supposed to be a charity roast, not a campaign speech. I'll watch the rest of it, but I can see why he's being booed. He's shameful. (and he called her a "nasty woman" last night?)

Old 10-20-2016, 08:44 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,652,852 times
Wow, that was painful. I don't think any candidate has ever been booed there before. Remember when Obama, McCain and Romney were making light-hearted banter about themselves at this dinner, showing us they were humans underneath all the campaign rhetoric? Like everywhere else this election season, Trump has to go to the gutter. He's incapable of laughing at himself or showing the smaller amount of vulnerability.

Old 10-20-2016, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I heard booing. You never hear booing at these events. And it's mostly a partisan Republican group.
Yes. But was it light-hearted booing? As in part of the roast? At roasts, people/audience boos when something-slightly insulting is said to them. Isn't that a roast?

Old 10-20-2016, 08:50 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,715,742 times
After reading the comments here I watched it and thought it wasn't so bad. Trump looked uncomfortable reading the jokes someone else wrote for him but he was funny enough til he got close to the end. Hillary was funny but her jokes had a bite too. They were both good sports while the other was talking.

There's just been too much animosity for them to pretend like they like each other.

The people sitting behind them looked miserable and uncomfortable.

Old 10-20-2016, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
After reading the comments here I watched it and thought it wasn't so bad. Trump looked uncomfortable reading the jokes someone else wrote for him but he was funny enough til he got close to the end. Hillary was funny but her jokes had a bite too. They were both good sports while the other was talking.

There's just been too much animosity for them to pretend like they like each other.

The people sitting behind them looked miserable and uncomfortable.

I felt far less tension between them and that's why I decided to watch it....I did not take the roast much too seriously, I was hoping for some laughs tonight from the rivals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections