Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 08:42 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,036,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
I want to jump in here, and add,

I will be refraining from posting tomorrow night after a winner is announced.

If Trump wins, I will not be taunting the Hillary supporters, or digging up old threads to attack people.

If Hillary wins, I will not come here, and crap on the Democrats' win, I'll let them enjoy their night.

I hope my fellow Trump supporters will do the same.

stburr91
If Trump wins, I'm not leaving the TV for a second (computer is in a different room). If Hillary wins, I'm taking a pill to help me sleep through to Thanksgiving so don't expect to see me, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2016, 10:09 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,946,388 times
Even on Tuesday afternoon, the polls can't agree. How do they expect us to unite?

[URL="http://www.investors.com/politics/trump-holds-2-point-lead-over-clinton-as-election-day-arrives-final-ibd-tipp-poll-results/"]Trump Holds 2-Point Lead Over Clinton As Election Day Arrives: Final IBD/TIPP Poll Results[/URL]

[URL="http://talkingpointsmemo.com/polltracker/clinton-leads-five-pts-tracking-poll"]Clinton Leads By Five-Point Margin In Final Tracking Poll Update[/URL]

Well, no matter what happens, we really do live in a beautiful country. It has its share of problems and some of us are affected a lot more by the economy, health care and other important issues. We still need to close the huge gap of income inequality and learn to be more tolerant, but even with all our troubles, we're still a pretty great nation.

Old 11-08-2016, 10:11 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,122,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Tonight won't provide finality and unity . . . . too much discussions of the rigged system, voter intimidation, voter fraud, etc. No matter which side you support, if your guy/gal loses, there are things to hang your hat on.

I dread this.

Mick

Old 11-08-2016, 10:13 AM

3,079 posts, read 3,123,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Well, folks, it's been an exciting, ground-breaking, fun, long and cringe-worthy election season. . . . since mid-2015; way, way too long.

The race seems to be extremely close, and we probably won't know how it's gonna go until at least 9:20 p.m., EST. It's going to be a nail biter, I think. I am sure there will be many ecstatic as well as angry and disappointed posters tomorrow night.

I just wanted to wish everyone good luck, no matter who you support. Though the discussions often get very heated, and we have radically different notions of what is best for the country, I commend all of you for your passion for politics and the future of this country. There are countless intelligent and welll-informed posters on both sides, which makes this forum great. Do you ever ask yourself how the hell you ended up on City-Data POC board? I mean, City-Data!

If Trump wins, I sure hope that:

1. Clinton would concede gratuitously without claiming that our election system is rigged and that election results should not be accepted;

2. The Democrats in the Senate would not refuse to schedule a hearing for Trump's SCOTUS appointment (or filibuster if they don't obtain a majority) until the end of times;

See you guys tomorrow night! May the best person win.

Mick
Well said and thank you, Mick. If we can unite both sides on CD, then so can OUR elected politicians!

Old 11-08-2016, 10:14 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,122,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Corruption and the allowance of the elites to position themselves above the law is the descent to 3rd world. I'm 100% confident that as the liberals ignore the laws to achieve their aims, they will attempt to kill off the 120 million Basket of Deplorables.
To be fair, isn't Trump an "elite" with top 0.000001% in wealth, not to mention he openly admits that he bribed politicians on a quid pro quo basis, which is clearly "corruption." I don't understand.

Mick

Old 11-08-2016, 10:18 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,668,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Well, there isn't any other country in the world I would rather live.
May we suggest a few that would be suitable for you ?

Old 11-08-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Tonight won't provide finality and unity . . . . too much discussions of the rigged system, voter intimidation, voter fraud, etc. No matter which side you support, if your guy/gal loses, there are things to hang your hat on.

I dread this.

Mick
I edited my post to sound more positive, but I do agree with you. It's possible Trump will say he did the best job any "outsider" could do and tell his supporters to respect Hillary, if she wins. (and I feel strongly that she will) Early this morning the latest NBC poll puts her 100 electoral votes ahead.

Well, at least after tonight I can start worrying about normal stuff, like where the heck is my Fedex package?

Old 11-08-2016, 10:20 AM

3,079 posts, read 3,123,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
I want to jump in here, and add,

I will be refraining from posting tomorrow night after a winner is announced.

If Trump wins, I will not be taunting the Hillary supporters, or digging up old threads to attack people.

If Hillary wins, I will not come here, and crap on the Democrats' win, I'll let them enjoy their night.

I hope my fellow Trump supporters will do the same.

stburr91
That is a very standup thing to say. I disagree with you probably on almost everything politically speaking but kudos to you for writing this! What a bruising election cycle this has been.

Old 11-08-2016, 10:24 AM

Quote:
I can't take a replay of 2000 . . . . . you made me think of Katherine Harris.

Mick
I lived in FL in 2000. I didn't make it to the polls because I worked late (no early voting back then) and was praying "Bush can't win by 1 vote. I can't live with the guilt!"

Old 11-08-2016, 10:28 AM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,668,329 times
Quote:
Ya know, with more and more automation, the schism between the haves and havenots would become greater and greater. For example, self-driving cars would eventually eliminate many jobs in transportation, like tax drivers, bus drivers, train conductors, truck drivers, and so on. That's in the thousands. Sure, new jobs would be created to service self-driving cars, but there will be one job created for every 10 lost. That's what I am concerned about . . . . never mind the self-thinking AI robots that want to kill us!

Mick
As a country, we are going to have to do a better job of looking to the future instead of wishing for the past.

I got my securities licenses in 1993 and worked on a stock trading line. Then in the late 90s here comes the internet full steam and people could do their own stock trading, so the need for me would be decreased. I read the tea leaves and moved to an operations job of reviewing complex account applications, which required my supervisors license to approve the application. When I retired a couple of years ago, they were developing software that will review the information, so by now, that job is probably just about gone.

If people don't change with the world, they will get left behind and it is painful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections