Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 02:16 PM

22,194 posts, read 19,481,704 times

Advertisements

Went just before 8:30 on my way to work. Polling place is a local elementary school about 1/2 mile from my house. There were about six or so precincts at that school. My precinct appeared to have the longest line, which was about 10 minutes. Line seemed a little longer when I got off, but probably no more than 15 minutes or so. I was voter 135 in my precinct, polls here are open from 6am to 9pm.

I spoke to my parents who live on the SC side of the Charlotte suburbs. They went around 11 said they waited about an hour which was by far the most they remember waiting since they retired down there in 09 or anytime they were in NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2016, 02:17 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,705,103 times
I early voted during one of the times I was ferrying people to vote last week. I was surprised to see that there were about 6-8 other people there each time I was there. No problems. When I drove by today, there were local candidates waving signs out where they are allowed to be. No trump poll watchers in evidence. Wonder if they even showed up anywhere.

Old 11-08-2016, 02:18 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,634,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
well, if the issue fails... just thank yourself for not thinking education is important.
Do you live in AZ?

Old 11-08-2016, 02:18 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,124,984 times
Voted seven times.

Mick

P.S. Before Trump followers get an aneurysm, I was just kidding.

Old 11-08-2016, 02:20 PM

8,389 posts, read 4,376,951 times
Vote early, vote often

Old 11-08-2016, 02:21 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,872,138 times
Voted... saw some Trump voters that I know and others I don't know... wife and I both voted Trump... walked out and went home...

Old 11-08-2016, 02:22 PM

11,831 posts, read 5,816,767 times
Just got back from the polls at 3:30 - I was #416 - voted Trump. There was actually an article in our paper this week saying how scared the Democrats are that the county was going to go Red.

My friend in Jersey went this morning but there was an hour wait at her district so she's going back after work.

1,915 posts, read 1,483,295 times
I have the day off. Polls opened at 6am but I didn't want to wait in line so I left my house around 10 am. It's a beautiful day so I walked to the polls. When I got there a Republican lady handed me the Republican ballot and a Democrat lady handed me the Democrat ballot (these are samples to show how to vote along party lines). Out of curiosity I wanted to know how both felt about issues other than candidates. They agreed on all issues except two.

I checked in by showing my license and saying my name. They gave me a ticket to pick up a paper ballot. I picked up my ballot and voted for the person for president with whom I agreed with on the most issues (I was undecided for a very long time and writing out issues and listing candidates was the only way for me to make a logical choice. I knew exactly how I was going to vote on all the other issues on the ballot, so that was easier. There was no one running against the incumbent from Congress and I voted to reelect. After I filled in my ballot I fed my ballot into the scanner, got my sticker, and left.

Before my walk back home I returned the sample ballots to both the Democrat lady and the Republican lady (so they wouldn't run out), said goodbye to each and walked home.

Easy.

28,226 posts, read 36,906,783 times
I walked over to my polling spot about 1.5 blocks away. My polling station is in an apartment lobby. There were about 5-7 people ahead of me in line at a 8:15 or so. The line went really quick because half were dropping off mail in ballots. It was packed in the lobby, there are only about 7 booths. Most people were too lazy to wait for the booth and used the wall or stood up to fill out their ballots. There were about 5 people ahead of me to feed their ballots into the electronic machine. I put mine in and got my sticker, with my choice of language. It took about 10 minutes all in all.

Happily no one was anywhere near the poll handing out fliers or propaganda, you got to vote in peace.

Old 11-08-2016, 02:31 PM

88,638 posts, read 84,911,862 times
I went around 9:30 to our community center/municipal hall. There were two people in the two booths voting. I went up to the table where the two election board people sat, and noted that my cat-sitter had responsibility for last names ending in M - Z, the category in which my last name falls. I signed the book and signed the slip with the voter # on it. I was #77 in my half of the alphabet. We have about 600 registered voters in town, and usually not even 100 show up to vote, so I asked her how many people had voted totally so far. She said about 180 total.

While I was there, two people came in behind me. I handed my slip to the woman at the booth that someone had just vacated, and I went inside the curtains. I clicked the X for "write-in" for President and typed in the name of my choice. I voted to get rid of our mayor and replace him with a guy who promises to get back town-wide garbage collection instead of leaving it to the complexes to contract for it. I voted for the Sheriff and Surrogate I had chosen because of what I'd read about them, one Democrat, one Republican. I split my vote for Freeholders (it's a NJ thing) between two women, one Republican, and one Democrat. I voted Yes to one public question and no to another. I hit the red CAST VOTE button, and then I stepped out of the booth, went back over to my cat-sitter, and paid her for taking care of my pets while I was away last weekend.

Small-town voting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections