Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 05:26 PM

979 posts, read 491,518 times

Advertisements

I got up this morning, went to work, finished my work early today and got to go out and enjoy the beautiful fall weather running errands.....oh, what about voting? I didn't vote today, the joy of Oregon is that we all vote by mail. I got to vote on my time about a week ago and had no issues dropping off my ballot when I went out to pick up some dinner for the family.

That is the way it should be for everyone in the US when it comes to voting. We need to be making it much easier for every American to be able to vote. This whole waiting in long lines nonsense is just that, nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2016, 05:27 PM

1,008 posts, read 488,022 times
I live in Virginia. Was in and out in maybe 180 seconds. Went at 12:45pm.

Old 11-08-2016, 05:44 PM

566 posts, read 504,452 times
Very quick vote, in, out in less than 15mins, no lines.
But, the 2 ladies at the desk did not even look up at me when I came over they continued their persoan bentor.

So, when I did get my ballot, it was long but the font was too small to see with no glasses.
GIVE ME A BREAK election officials, make a bigger font and ovals please!
Oh, and too many people on the ballot; I dont need the names of all the judges, just R or D would suffice.

Old 11-08-2016, 06:09 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,035,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperOscar View Post
.oh, what about voting? I didn't vote today, the joy of Oregon is that we all vote by mail. I got to vote on my time about a week ago and had no issues dropping off my ballot when I went out to pick up some dinner for the family.

That is the way it should be for everyone in the US when it comes to voting. We need to be making it much easier for every American to be able to vote. This whole waiting in long lines nonsense is just that, nonsense.
But then how do they know you were the one who actually voted? Someone I work with said she requested absentee ballots for her children who are attending out of state colleges (I think she has three college age children) to be sent to her house so that she could ensure that they voted for the "correct person". How does everyone voting by mail keep this from being a more wide spread problem?

I like voting at the polls. My dad is very strong in his political beliefs, and I could see him collecting everyone's ballots to make sure that everyone voted for his candidate while living under his roof.

Old 11-08-2016, 06:14 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,988,300 times
10 minutes in and out around 2pm.
I did experience a glitch on one of my selections.
I put an X on joe blow then it switched to jack black.
Got nervous for a second...but then corrected it.

Old 11-08-2016, 07:05 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,298,793 times
Got there at 7:35.
No lines.
Nice!

Old 11-08-2016, 07:39 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,786,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
Suburban Chicago. Large church. Opened 6am. Arrived 5:55am. About 20 people in line ahead of me. By the time the doors opened about 20 more behind me. In and out in about 20 minutes. Pretty much like any other year.

No electioneering seen. Thankfully.

Also, nobody was talking to each other. It was like a death march.
I'm also in Illinois, solid Republican area. No wait this afternoon for those willing to use a paper ballot and I did. No one was talking and it did look like a death march.

There was a kid strutting around in a Trump/ Pence tee shirt. He was given a choice to take it off, turn it inside out or leave. He went ballistic, screaming about suppression and how Trump was right. He left.

Poll guy said this crap had been going on all day. Kids are not registered and likely not yet 18.

Old 11-08-2016, 08:50 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,019,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
But then how do they know you were the one who actually voted? Someone I work with said she requested absentee ballots for her children who are attending out of state colleges (I think she has three college age children) to be sent to her house so that she could ensure that they voted for the "correct person". How does everyone voting by mail keep this from being a more wide spread problem?

I like voting at the polls. My dad is very strong in his political beliefs, and I could see him collecting everyone's ballots to make sure that everyone voted for his candidate while living under his roof.
I honestly don't think that this is a huge issue, to be frank.

If people are worried about having their votes commandeered by someone else in their household, I'm fairly certain that, here in Washington State, there is still an option to go to a government office to cast one's vote.

The fact is that voting by mail has gotten way more people to cast their votes, especially in non-presidential elections.

Old 11-08-2016, 09:06 PM

19,545 posts, read 9,561,689 times
Two different precincts in voting. One of which had a much longer line. Mine was the shorter of the two so I was quite fortunate to get in/out in such a short time. What I hadn't noticed but wish I did, see if there was at least more booths set aside for the precinct that had the longer line.

The arrival portion we had spent outside in line. Sure glad it wasn't raining or real cold.

Then we stopped at Subway and had a free cookie (for voting)

Last edited by cat1116; 11-08-2016 at 09:09 PM.. Reason: Subway stop

Old 07-12-2017, 11:55 PM

30,655 posts, read 18,263,167 times
I voted about a three weeks before the election via early ballot in NY. I voted for Donald J. Trump for president on the conservative party line, Wendy Long for US Senator on the conservative party line, and Daniel Cavanagh for Congress on the conservative party line. While none of my picks won their districts/state (of course, Trump won the presidency, even if he didn't win NYS), I was glad to participate and to provide a vote for these candidates, especially for DJT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections