Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 01:37 PM

24,512 posts, read 17,265,170 times

Advertisements

I don't hate Liberals and I certainly don't want them destroyed since many people I know identify with the Democratic Left.

What bugs me about liberals is their hypocrisy.
Take the poster girl for liberalism Elizabeth Warren for example.
She trashed Trump for once saying that he and his fellow investors made piles of money during the recession when they bought up foreclosed buildings. The only thing is if one was to do a bit of digging Warren also took advantage of someone else loss and she too bought up foreclosed homes for her family.

Of course Warrens biggest gaff is when she claimed to be partly Native American so she could fulfill an affirmative action position at Harvard. She checked the box as they say and no one checked up on her claim. She took a job that would have otherwise gone to a real minority yet she claims to champion minorities in the face of the evil Republicans that would crush them.

Another thing that drives me crazy about Liberals is that they think they know it all and if anyone has a thought that does not reflect theirs then they must be either narrow minded or stupid.

I think most Liberals are high thinkers and big talkers but when it comes to actual action their "theories" about how the country should be run are nothing more than dreams for them and nightmares for the rest of us.

I would have to say that many Liberals do have big hearts but they have small brains when it comes to reality but luckily for them we have people like Trump that tips the scale to a more balanced point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 02:53 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,730,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I don't hate Liberals and I certainly don't want them destroyed since many people I know identify with the Democratic Left.

She trashed Trump for once saying that he and his fellow investors made piles of money during the recession when they bought up foreclosed buildings. The only thing is if one was to do a bit of digging Warren also took advantage of someone else loss and she too bought up foreclosed homes for her family.

Of course Warrens biggest gaff is when she claimed to be partly Native American so she could fulfill an affirmative action position at Harvard. She checked the box as they say and no one checked up on her claim. She took a job that would have otherwise gone to a real minority yet she claims to champion minorities in the face of the evil Republicans that would crush them.

Another thing that drives me crazy about Liberals is that they think they know it all and if anyone has a thought that does not reflect theirs then they must be either narrow minded or stupid.

I think most Liberals are high thinkers and big talkers but when it comes to actual action their "theories" about how the country should be run are nothing more than dreams for them and nightmares for the rest of us.

I would have to say that many Liberals do have big hearts but they have small brains when it comes to reality but luckily for them we have people like Trump that tips the scale to a more balanced point.
1. Please provide proof that Warren took a job from someone else.
2. Was Warren supposed to not buy a house for sale? She bought houses in a low market for members of her family. If Trump had done that, he would be heralded by his supporters as generous and loving toward his family.

I define liberal the same way John F. Kennedy did in Profiles in Courage:

“If by a "Liberal" they mean someone who looks ahead and not behind, someone who welcomes new ideas without rigid reactions, someone who cares about the welfare of the people-their health, their housing, their schools, their jobs, their civil rights and their civil liberties-someone who believes we can break through the stalemate and suspicions that grip us in our policies abroad, if that is what they mean by a "Liberal", then I'm proud to say I'm a "Liberal.”

Old 01-07-2018, 04:09 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,348,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
, it was Obama that set race relations back at least 60 years. Obama was as racist as George Wallace,.
Perhaps you could give some examples to strengthen your opinion.

Old 01-07-2018, 08:29 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 29 days ago)

29,597 posts, read 16,568,312 times
Quote:

I have no idea if Warren actually did that, but the flaw in your argument is context. Trump said " I hope the market crashes so I can buy new properties at a discount".

I see no evidence of Warren ever hoping for the same.

Quote:
Neither of those claims is true, and yet you attack liberals in your very next line for doing something you are so clearly guilty of doing.

Quote:
]I think most Liberals are high thinkers and big talkers but when it comes to actual action their "theories" about how the country should be run are nothing more than dreams for them and nightmares for the rest of us.

Give specifics to support your argument.

Old 01-07-2018, 11:20 PM

1,849 posts, read 1,811,140 times
Quote:

I wanna say "get a job at Wendy's" (just found out about morton Downey Jr). If he was still around, all millennials would be pooping their pants - and I say that as a millennial born in 1987!

Old 01-08-2018, 07:57 PM

1,018 posts, read 512,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Do they hate gays?
No
Do they hate it when states pass legal use of marijuana?
No
Do they want to make abortion illegal in the U.S.?
Yes
Do they want to end public education?
No
Do they want to end environmental laws?
No
Do they want to close the EPA at the cost of our food and water?
No
Do they want to privatize Social Security?
No
Do they want to voucherize Medicare (Seniors only pay about a third of the benefits they receive, we taxpayers supplement them)
No
Do they want to make religion a requirement?
No
Do they want to make only one religion allowed?
No
Do they want to make minorities a lesser citizen?
No
Do they want to penalize immigrants?
Illegal immigrants need to be deported
Do they want to end welfare? (which tend to go more to red states, blue states contribute more federal dollars than they get back)
No but there should be a motivation to work over a motivation for wlfare
Do they wan to end food stamps? (which tend to go more to red states)
No

What is liberalism that Trump supporters want to DESTROY?

Liberalisation today is the denigration of Americans who hold traditional values of Christianity, American nationalism, and denigration of heterosexual white males.
So true, especially on The White Male part. If you think about it in technical terms, White Men are a minority.

Old 01-08-2018, 08:28 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,730,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss1234 View Post
So true, especially on The White Male part. If you think about it in technical terms, White Men are a minority.
White men are in complete control of the country and have been for over 200 years. This idea that white men are being targeted started when Hillary ran for president following Obama winning the presidency. Immediately it's "the white man is being penalized!" because they were threatened by the very concept of someone that wasn't a white man running for president. There has never been a female president. There has been one black male president. White men would need to lose the presidency for the next 43 elections before they would have a reasonable argument.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:19 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,763,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
I have no idea if Warren actually did that, but the flaw in your argument is context. Trump said " I hope the market crashes so I can buy new properties at a discount".
Actually people who invest in stock for example think the same thing. They have money on the side ready to take advantage of a market dip. This money is called dry powder. Even if you invest at regular intervals for example with every paycheck or drips you hope the market dips. You obviously don't understand investing dsjj251

That's the difference between the rich and everyone else. The rich are prepared for opportunity.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:43 PM

13,663 posts, read 9,733,801 times
Here's an attempt at stating some core principles of liberalism:

1. Individual rights are potentially assailed by all sorts of concentrations of power.... public or private. A strong, activist government can be a danger, but can also be useful as counterbalance to strong, activist private organizations - be they corporations, churches or whatever else. Thus, a strong government is not a desirable end in itself, and can actually be pernicious; but it is occasionally a means towards the higher end, of keeping the various power-centers at loggerheads.

2. Traditional documents and rubrics are limited and inelastic. No document is holy, no doctrine is unassailably correct. Everything can and should be subject to review and revision - including the US constitution. However wise our forefathers may have been, they’re still fallible. And even if their ideas were outstanding and blameless, times change, circumstances change, and even the best ideas become obsolete or even outright untenable.

3. There is indeed a fundamental right to privacy, and this right is more important than securing some public good, or public end.

4. Immigration and trade are fundamental to national growth and vibrancy. The country that erects the sturdiest walls, only immures itself the fastest, become retrograde and obsolete.

5. Whatever our religious persuasions happen to be, law and morality in the civic-realm must be rooted in experience, observation and systematic analysis - rather than on purportedly revealed truth.

6. Where a price can be placed on goods or services, free markets do an excellent job of determining proper prices, and delivering said goods and services. But not all goods or services have a monetary price. It is foolish to fit market-solutions to every scenario, just as it is foolish to interfere with markets, whenever the matter at hand is clearly one of buying and selling.

Old 01-09-2018, 10:42 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,807,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
Bring back pork barrel spending.

Politicians are now being elected based on ideological purity, than their ability to get results for constituents.

Why not think bigger? Why parcel out chump change when a select few can control all of the money?

The supreme court ruled that money is speech. Therefore corporations can spend money in the form of super pacts. Does this not give the corporations (1%) even more power to influence elections?

Take a good look in our new tax bill and you will find hidden gems that the republicans won't talk about. One of them is for the is the oil and gas industry. "The legislation that slashed the corporate rate for all U.S. companies while preserving tax breaks specific to them and opening up the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge for drilling." There was a 9cent per barrel tax on crude oil that is designed to generate 500 million a year to be available to help clean up disasters like the Exxon Valdez in 1989. The oil and gas industry had a Happy New Year bonus as the republicans let that tax expire. And one more bonus. The 2010 rules designed to protect the off shore work force was rescinded as too burdensome to the industry.

So what we have is a conservative agenda vs a liberal agenda. The liberals want environmental protection and worker safety. The conservatives want it all for the 1%. Who's right? Will the economy flourish because of the much disputed trickle down economics? Will the pro environment tree hugger liberals be proven right or wrong with these legislations? We can speculate, chose sides, and hate each other for it, or we can find a happy medium.

I think we can all agree that we all have concerns that our government is moving farther away from we the people and is now run by a plutocracy. The question is what do we do about it? Argue about silly topics like yes Obama go votes because he was black, yes Clinton got votes because she was a woman, or do we start to discuss facts right in front of us that may or may not be detrimental to the survival of we the people?

(Sorry guys, I didn't mean to ignore you yesterday. It's a fun day for me and I rarely have time to post on Mondays.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections