Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 06:12 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,725,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss1234 View Post
I misspoke on one little thing, and that was free college. I'll admit that. But, Affirmative Action does give Women and Minorities advantages that White Men do not have. Which is discrimination.
That was the first declarative point, that is not little. More women are attending college than men now, I'm sure they want to know where to sign up for the free college. And we are talking about women being paid less than men for the same job which has always been true.

Why Men Are the New College Minority
Males are enrolling in higher education at alarmingly low rates, and some colleges are working hard to reverse the trend.
https://www.theatlantic.com/educatio...nority/536103/

Women are definitely working hard to close the gap. So when more women are in white collar jobs than men, are men going to say they are persecuted even though fewer of them attended college???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2018, 06:17 PM

1,018 posts, read 512,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
That was the first declarative point, that is not little. More women are attending college than men now, I'm sure they want to know where to sign up for the free college. And we are talking about women being paid less than men for the same job which has always been true.

Males are enrolling in higher education at alarmingly low rates, and some colleges are working hard to reverse the trend.

Women are definitely working hard to close the gap. So when more women are in white collar jobs than men, are men going to say they are persecuted even though fewer of them attended college???

Examining 46,934 resumes shared on Glassdoor by people who graduated between 2010 and 2017, the researchers looked at each person’s college major and their post-college jobs in the five years after graduation. They then estimated the median pay for each of those jobs (also using Glassdoor data) for employees with five years of experience or less. Their key finding: “Many college majors that lead to high-paying roles in tech and engineering are male dominated, while majors that lead to lower-paying roles in social sciences and liberal arts tend to be female dominated, placing men in higher-paying career pathways, on average.

Old 01-09-2018, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Examining 46,934 resumes shared on Glassdoor by people who graduated between 2010 and 2017, the researchers looked at each person’s college major and their post-college jobs in the five years after graduation. They then estimated the median pay for each of those jobs (also using Glassdoor data) for employees with five years of experience or less. Their key finding: “Many college majors that lead to high-paying roles in tech and engineering are male dominated, while majors that lead to lower-paying roles in social sciences and liberal arts tend to be female dominated, placing men in higher-paying career pathways, on average.
Reposting the same comment doesn't address the post. Already, college is attended by 56% of women and colleges are TRYING to attract men. Yet men make more for the same job, with excuses like women with children may choose to quit working or create a cost. AGAIN, with so many more women attending college than men, will men accept more women in white collar jobs in the future and not complain or will they say they are being persecuted for not choosing to get a college degree? Liberals are not against white men, it's ridiculous to suggest considering every Democratic president but one has been a white male. But white males are acting as if they are a minority and the only minority I can see - choosing not to attend college - was a choice made by white males.

Old 01-09-2018, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Reposting the same comment doesn't address the post. Already, college is attended by 56% of women and colleges are TRYING to attract men. Yet men make more for the same job, with excuses like women with children may choose to quit working or create a cost. AGAIN, with so many more women attending college than men, will men accept more women in white collar jobs in the future and not complain or will they say they are being persecuted for not choosing to get a college degree? Liberals are not against white men, it's ridiculous to suggest considering every Democratic president but one has been a white male. But white males are acting as if they are a minority and the only minority I can see - choosing not to attend college - has a choice made by white males.

We are a minority, white women are the highest population in the country. I agree that more women are in college than men, but what you are saying is that women get paid less than men. That is because women don't go into as high demanding jobs as men. Liberals aren't against white men, their policies just don't have any place for a straight, white, blue collar working male like myself. And Obama is half white, just calling him black is a slap in his mom's face.

Old 01-09-2018, 06:37 PM

Quote:
We are a minority, white women are the highest population in the country. I agree that more women are in college than men, but what you are saying is that women get paid less than men. That is because women don't go into as high demanding jobs as men. Liberals aren't against white men, their policies just don't have any place for a straight, white, blue collar working male like myself. And Obama is half white, just calling him black is a slap in his mom's face.
I'm happy to call Obama half white, but again, that further makes the point that Democratic presidents have all been white men except Obama who was half white. White men have every advantage - for them to say they are persecuted is laughable. For white men to be "in the minority" only shows that they are overrepresented in elected office. Women are dramatically underrepresented considering they are the majority of the country.

Women make less than men in the same jobs.

"An unpleasant truth: Women still earn less than men for doing the same job.

And while income inequality between men and women has shrunk (see chart below), it remains stubbornly persistent and is prompting more workers to look for other jobs.

Overall, a woman makes about 76 cents for every dollar a man does nationwide, according to a new study by salary-tracking website PayScale."

Men still earn more than women with the same jobs
https://www.cnbc.com/2016/12/05/men-...same-jobs.html

Old 01-09-2018, 06:39 PM

So say I am a white guy who works at a fast food place, making $8.00 an hour, but then a black man works in the IT field making easily over $100,000 a year. Do I have every single advantage over him? I think not.

Old 01-09-2018, 06:43 PM

Quote:
So say I am a white guy who works at a fast food place, making $8.00 an hour, but then a black man works in the IT field making easily over $100,000 a year. Do I have every single advantage over him? I think not.
But if you are a woman working on the same team as a man in an IT company but making less, is that right? Because that's what is happening.

It's good if men admit that the college educated person should be making more money. With fewer white men choosing to go to college, they should prepare and not say they are persecuted when people with more education are chosen for white collar jobs instead of them. They are making their own bed. It's the GOP that is demonizing college and Trump supporters calling the college educated "elitist".

Old 01-09-2018, 06:46 PM

Quote:
But if you are a woman working on the same team as a man in an IT company but making less, is that right? Because that's what is happening.

It's good if men admit that the college educated person should be making more money. With fewer white men choosing to go to college, they should prepare and not say they are persecuted when people with more education are chosen for white collar jobs instead of them. They are making their own bed. It's the GOP that is demonizing college and Trump supporters calling the college educated "elitist".
Didn't answer my question as to why I would have more advantages. Nice dodging the question. The GOP doesn't demonize college. The left demonizes people who don't go to college. The guys in trades, who make good money, who didn't need a 4 year degree to be successful.

Old 01-09-2018, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Didn't answer my question as to why I would have more advantages. Nice dodging the question. The GOP doesn't demonize college. The left demonizes people who don't go to college. The guys in trades, who make good money, who didn't need a 4 year degree to be successful.
And that is fine, they should be fine with the choice they made not going to college. They should not then complain because fewer white men are getting white collar jobs when they themselves chose to go into a trade instead.

The previous example was not comparative. A white man with no college education compared to a minority with a college education is not comparative. A white man and a white woman, both in the same job but the man makes more? That's the example and sourcing I have twice provided and that shows that white men have built-in advantages that women and minorities do not have.

Old 01-09-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
And that is fine, they should be fine with the choice they made not going to college. They should not then complain because fewer white men are getting white collar jobs when they themselves chose to go into a trade instead.

The previous example was not comparative. A white man with no college education compared to a minority with a college education is not comparative. A white man and a white woman, both in the same job but the man makes more? That's the example and sourcing I have twice provided and that shows that white men have built-in advantages that women and minorities do not have.
No no, you said white men have every single advantage, not comparisons. Nice changing your words around. I learned a trade, make more money a year than my friends who went to college, I have a stable job, and a good life. I never complained once about going to college. White men have every advantage - for them to say they are persecuted is laughable. So, tell me, if white men have every single advantage like you just said, then would a white guy working at McDonald's on minimum wage have more advantages than a Black Man in a white collar job?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections