Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 09:08 AM

15,881 posts, read 14,529,165 times

Advertisements

I don't know why the states don't do this on their own, but Trump and the congressional Republicans should pass a law forcing the states to do the following.

After any election for federal office, the states should have to wash their registration lists against federal databases like the Social Security Death Register, and others that would indicate that a registered voter might be ineligible to vote. They would then have to compare the result of that list with the list recording who actually voted. If the list shows ineligible voters accounted for more that 0.01% of the vote in that state, the registration list would have to be scrubbed, and the election reheld.

In point of fact, the states should scrub their registration lists before each election is held, but people will complain that legitimate voters might get knocked out.

Everyone keeps saying there's very little election fraud. This would prove it one way of the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2016, 09:10 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,226,105 times
Wouldn't voter ID eliminate the need for that?

Old 11-28-2016, 10:04 AM

12,688 posts, read 6,754,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
It certainly wouldn't hurt matters. That said, fake ID's already exist. It'd just be a good bit more complicated for a 30-ish illegal to pass themselves off as the 90-something year old dead person whose identity they stole. Voter ID laws also don't stop people from voting multiple times. So while it helps, it's not a cure-all.

Old 11-28-2016, 12:16 PM

24,043 posts, read 15,154,071 times
There is nothing stopping the states from checking their registered voters against licensed drivers or anything else they have. They could at least check out who the county declares dead. They could put the birth date of the voter along with name and address in the books that go out to the polling places.

My county still relies on the mail delivery to return the voter cards they mail out if that person has moved. Gotta be a better way.

I can buy any kind of fake ID i want at 1/2 the flea markets in town.

Old 11-28-2016, 12:23 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,209,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
There is nothing stopping the states from checking their registered voters against licensed drivers or anything else they have. They could at least check out who the county declares dead. They could put the birth date of the voter along with name and address in the books that go out to the polling places.

My county still relies on the mail delivery to return the voter cards they mail out if that person has moved. Gotta be a better way.

I can buy any kind of fake ID i want at 1/2 the flea markets in town.
Not with retina scan, fingerprints & a picture. Enough is enough with voter fraud ...

Old 11-28-2016, 12:47 PM

The liberal crowd is saying that voter fraud is a myth, and that voter ID isn't needed. What I'm talking about would prove it one way or the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post

Old 11-28-2016, 12:54 PM

2,668 posts, read 4,508,422 times
My state has it all setup by your address. Walk in, find your street name A-L, M-Z. Show your ID to one person who reads the name/address. The second person looks it up on the printout and crosses you off. You go vote and go about your day. I see nothing wrong with this and am kinda shocked it's not the standard in some form around the country. Why wouldn't you need an ID to vote, if your here illegally why should you get the same amount of voting power as I do.

Old 11-28-2016, 12:55 PM

57,410 posts, read 26,350,013 times
Voting records will forever be outdated as long as people die and move to other areas, that doesn't amount to fraud just inaccuracies in the system.

Some of these recounts should go a long way to proving your point if in fact voter fraud exists. North Carolina is perfect testing ground since a judge over ruled their changes to the election system, let's see how much fraud comes out in the recount.

Old 11-28-2016, 01:26 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,752,534 times
I wish everyone was required to vote and every voting location required to stay open to allow it. But from what I've read, the fraud cases found were Trump voters trying to vote more than once.

Old 11-28-2016, 02:56 PM

This true, but there are two follow on issues.

First, it's not that hard to clean up the data. Things like Social Security, tax, and drivers license records can be cross matched to flag the out of date registrations.

Second, the states either know, or should easily be able to know, which registered voters actually voted. So if you follow the trail from one end to the other, you can determine which and how many people with likely bad registrations actually voted. That would give you a good handle on the amount of actual voter fraud their is.

Of course, there are likely people in government who don't want the public getting that information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Voting records will forever be outdated as long as people die and move to other areas, that doesn't amount to fraud just inaccuracies in the system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections