Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 02:58 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,752,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I don't know why the states don't do this on their own, but Trump and the congressional Republicans should pass a law forcing the states to do the following.
I'm pretty sure there is no constitutional way for the Federal government to tell the states how to conduct their elections. Remember, there is no federal election for President. There are 50 state elections to pick electors who choose the President.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2016, 04:17 PM

26,083 posts, read 22,282,927 times
Quote:
This true, but there are two follow on issues.

First, it's not that hard to clean up the data. Things like Social Security, tax, and drivers license records can be cross matched to flag the out of date registrations.

Second, the states either know, or should easily be able to know, which registered voters actually voted. So if you follow the trail from one end to the other, you can determine which and how many people with likely bad registrations actually voted. That would give you a good handle on the amount of actual voter fraud their is.

Of course, there are likely people in government who don't want the public getting that information.
I visited extensively with a County Clerk as to the voting rolls. So and so percentage, a low one, were said to vote but she said the voting rolls still had her grandparents on there even though they were long dead. I think they did eventually clean up the rolls. We were in one state and if you missed two major elections, I think that is how it went, you were removed from the rolls. It would have been the job of the County Clerk to research and remove names and that would not have been an easy or quick job as staff was limited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I'm pretty sure there is no constitutional way for the Federal government to tell the states how to conduct their elections. Remember, there is no federal election for President. There are 50 state elections to pick electors who choose the President.
I'm not crazy about all of this forcing the states by the federal government in the first place. The federal government has been trying to walk all over the states in many matters where their nose didn't belong!

I know this just comes out of Hillary defeating herself and the delusions that it was the fault of the system and/or fraud. It will soon be forgotten.

Old 11-28-2016, 04:26 PM

24,089 posts, read 15,200,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Not with retina scan, fingerprints & a picture. Enough is enough with voter fraud ...
If counties will not spend a penny to see a pissant eat a bale of hay, will they spring for these?

Old 11-28-2016, 07:41 PM

24,620 posts, read 19,235,816 times
Quote:
The liberal crowd is saying that voter fraud is a myth, and that voter ID isn't needed. What I'm talking about would prove it one way or the other.
Frauds, by their nature, are difficult to prove. Unless the voter who committed fraud admits to it, it's hard to detect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I'm pretty sure there is no constitutional way for the Federal government to tell the states how to conduct their elections.
And yet the federal government managed to coerce all States into having seat-belt laws and raising the drinking age to 21 years, among things.

Old 11-28-2016, 07:46 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,059,234 times
In so many states, you don't even have to prove you're a citizen to register to vote except signing a statement saying so. No birth certificate needed, nothing. Fix that and have voter ID, it could go a long way towards securing our voting process.

Old 11-28-2016, 07:52 PM

979 posts, read 493,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
Wouldn't voter ID eliminate the need for that?
Sure, if you believe that is the only kind of voter fraud that exists. In fact, in person voter fraud is very rare, it is other forms of voter fraud that needs to be investigated.

Old 11-28-2016, 08:00 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,213,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperOscar View Post
Sure, if you believe that is the only kind of voter fraud that exists. In fact, in person voter fraud is very rare, it is other forms of voter fraud that needs to be investigated.
How do you know ? If I'm an illegal and I show up to vote in California with a driver's license and I'm permitted to vote ... is that fraud ?

Old 11-28-2016, 09:02 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,318,761 times
Quote:
I don't know why the states don't do this on their own, but Trump and the congressional Republicans should pass a law forcing the states to do the following.

After any election for federal office, the states should have to wash their registration lists against federal databases like the Social Security Death Register, and others that would indicate that a registered voter might be ineligible to vote. They would then have to compare the result of that list with the list recording who actually voted. If the list shows ineligible voters accounted for more that 0.01% of the vote in that state, the registration list would have to be scrubbed, and the election reheld.

In point of fact, the states should scrub their registration lists before each election is held, but people will complain that legitimate voters might get knocked out.

Everyone keeps saying there's very little election fraud. This would prove it one way of the other.
Everyone keeps saying there's very little election fraud except president elect nutjob.

He's the one who has been pushing this assertion for months and months and months. How convenient for the cult to forget that this was started by him and continues with him. Is he a liar?

Old 11-28-2016, 09:02 PM

15,883 posts, read 14,568,958 times
In this case it would be fairly easy. Follow the trail starting with well maintained databases that can validate the legitimacy of a person's identity and if they fit the categories of people who can legitimatelycan vote (meaning being alive, are citizens, etc.), wash the state voter registration lists against those databases. The non-matches of that operation would be a list of invalid registrations. Then get the list of voter sign ins, and match that against the list of invalid registrations. Any hits are probable cause to believe that those voters committed fraud.

What's so difficult?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Frauds, by their nature, are difficult to prove. Unless the voter who committed fraud admits to it, it's hard to detect.

Old 11-28-2016, 11:20 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,544,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
Wouldn't voter ID eliminate the need for that?

Non-citizens can get driver licenses in some states and voter ID wouldn't stop them from voting unless states tagged them as non-citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections