Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 08:20 AM

45,454 posts, read 60,666,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Didn't you hear, Hillary lost, so no worries about the fox in the chicken house!.....
Did you just call Hillary Clinton a fox? Maybe when she was younger, she actually wasn't bad looking in college in a geeky kind of way, but now she's more...........matronly is the word I'd use.

Going back to your post and something I deleted. I taught for over thirty years and towards the end the kids would show absolute revulsion if I'd mention a trade, the parents would go nuts and the Principal would counsel me to be more circumspect. This was in a suburban DC school which still had a large number of kids every year being the first one in their family to graduate from high school.

Old 11-29-2016, 03:34 PM

7,654 posts, read 8,724,194 times
Many of those college graduates were admitted to the colleges thanks to the affirmative action and diversity policies. Those whose place was taken of by the former have no choice but to vote against the Dems.

Old 11-29-2016, 04:13 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,318,530 times
Can you guys fill me in here, because I've seen this countless times now and I'm still not sure of the point: what does a college degree mean, in this day and age, exactly?

Old 11-29-2016, 04:15 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,993,750 times
Maybe they need to stay in college.. There will be NOTHING out there for them after graduation with Hillary in charge. Much as there was nothing by rampant unemployment for college graduates. with Obama at the helm.

Pathetic leftist propaganda instilled in our college graduates psyches today

Old 11-29-2016, 05:49 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,276,570 times
I know the media started even before the election to characterize Trump supporters/voters as uneducated rural dwellers. It's simply not true. In fact, I have seen statistics showing that college educated people voted for Trump, not Hillary. I guess it depends who you ask and what their agenda is.

I am a college educated suburban white woman and I voted for Trump. Everyone that I know personally who voted for Trump is college educated and upper middle to upper class. My rural/non-college-educated relatives voted for Hillary.

My urban relatives didn't bother to vote.

Old 11-29-2016, 06:07 PM

26,533 posts, read 15,102,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodie2shoes View Post
Hillary. Whereas Trump received more votes from those with no college degree.

Makes sense.

Behind Trump's victory: Divisions by race, gender and education | Pew Research Center

In the 2016 election, a wide gap in presidential preferences emerged between those with and without a college degree. College graduates backed Clinton by a 9-point margin (52%-43%), while those without a college degree backed Trump 52%-44%. This is by far the widest gap in support among college graduates and non-college graduates in exit polls dating back to 1980. For example, in 2012, there was hardly any difference between the two groups: College graduates backed Obama over Romney by 50%-48%, and those without a college degree also supported Obama 51%-47%.
How come Democrats NEVER admonish themselves for winning the high school drop out vote after decades of dominating it by about a 2 to 1 margin....but then turn around and shame the Republicans whenever they win the high school degree/no college degree vote?

Selectivity on when to be an elitist on education?

Old 11-29-2016, 06:27 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,279,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Can you guys fill me in here, because I've seen this countless times now and I'm still not sure of the point: what does a college degree mean, in this day and age, exactly?
Easy one.

It means you have a higher salary and are less likely to be unemployed. Not elitist, but simply a fact.

It is, if you will excuse the expression, a no-brainer.

Earnings and unemployment rates by educational attainment

Old 11-29-2016, 06:49 PM

26,533 posts, read 15,102,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Easy one.

It means you have a higher salary and are less likely to be unemployed. Not elitist, but simply a fact.

And yet the evidence said that the average Trump voter was more likely to be employed...and had a slightly higher average income.

Old 11-29-2016, 07:25 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,318,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Easy one.

I hope that aren't trying to be elitist, because having a bachelor's degree hardly makes one elite, unless it's from a top school.
And stats like the ones in that link are are severely skewed by the extreme cases on both ends. The people with degrees from Harvard and Yale and MIT bring the bachelor's degree number way up, and the cashiers, etc. bring the "high school only" number way down. Many people who went to college would have been better off learning a good trade or becoming a fireman or something like that.

Old 11-29-2016, 07:26 PM

1,649 posts, read 1,009,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodie2shoes View Post
Hillary. Whereas Trump received more votes from those with no college degree.

Makes sense.

Behind Trump's victory: Divisions by race, gender and education | Pew Research Center

In the 2016 election, a wide gap in presidential preferences emerged between those with and without a college degree. College graduates backed Clinton by a 9-point margin (52%-43%), while those without a college degree backed Trump 52%-44%. This is by far the widest gap in support among college graduates and non-college graduates in exit polls dating back to 1980. For example, in 2012, there was hardly any difference between the two groups: College graduates backed Obama over Romney by 50%-48%, and those without a college degree also supported Obama 51%-47%.
It depends on what you consider a college degree. The MSM doesn't count 2 year degrees holders or trade school graduates as being a college graduate because it doesn't fit the narrative.

These are the facts

-Far more post graduates voted Democratic just like the always do.

-4 year degree holders were close as usual, this time with a slight edge to Democrats.

-Far more two year degree and trade school graduates voted Republican just like they always do.

Overall more college graduates voted Republican if you count 2 year degrees and trade school graduates. If you don't count that as being a college graduate, then more college graduates voted Democrat.

At the end of the day, there is a far bigger voting trend in career choice and gender. Republicans tend to be more male and more likely to go into the trades or fields that don't really require grad school like business or engineering. Democrats tend to be more female and more likely to go into fields that a 2 or 4 year degree will get you nothing like social sciences or humanities. The top degrees for men are Business administration and finance, while the top degrees for women are Psychology and education. In recent years Nursing has started to require a 4 year degree. Nursing will soon be the most common bachelors for females. This will also increase the gap in the amount of men receiving 2 year degrees and women receiving 4 year degrees.

People put too much worth into educational levels IMO. I have a 4 year degree, but I don't really consider myself anymore intelligent than most of my friends that work in skilled trades or are business owners. Both my mother and my Grandma were Registered Nurses. Neither had a 4 year degree. Are the somehow not as intelligent as a registered nurse that literally took a couple more semesters of classes and got a 4 year nursing degree? Is a dummy athlete with a communications degree and a C average more intelligent than than my mechanic?

People seriously need to give it a rest with this generalization that a college education means someone is intelligent. It's a career choice and nothing more. Anyone of average intelligence can do it if they avoid the difficult degrees and put the time in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections