Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 01:42 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,379,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
Wow, talk about going off topic!
Not particularly. The thread is about how the "college educated" voted and the user I replied to has come up with a hypothesis that how the "college educated" vote is heavily influenced by the colleges and universities in question specifically teaching "leftist propaganda".

Now I do not see myself, since I am not from the US and come from a country without bi-partisan politics, as either left or right. So if it is indeed true that the colleges and universities are specifically teaching propaganda WITHIN the curriculum of a course.... then this would be an issue for me regardless of whether it is "right" or "left" propaganda. For me the universities should be staying politically neutral at least so far as within what they teach in the courses they offer.

So if the user has any citations to back up the claims, I would consider it both A) interesting and B) exactly ON topic for the thread. However given the user it is, one prone to entirely making up "facts" to simply fit their narrative....... I am remaining open minded but strongly skeptical that we are likely to see any such substantiation at all.

Old 11-30-2016, 05:49 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,810,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodie2shoes View Post
Hillary. Whereas Trump received more votes from those with no college degree.

Makes sense.

Behind Trump's victory: Divisions by race, gender and education | Pew Research Center

In the 2016 election, a wide gap in presidential preferences emerged between those with and without a college degree. College graduates backed Clinton by a 9-point margin (52%-43%), while those without a college degree backed Trump 52%-44%. This is by far the widest gap in support among college graduates and non-college graduates in exit polls dating back to 1980. For example, in 2012, there was hardly any difference between the two groups: College graduates backed Obama over Romney by 50%-48%, and those without a college degree also supported Obama 51%-47%.
May I ask what your point is? I doubt this is a huge surprise to most due to much of his strength being in rural states. I do not see why this matters so much?

Old 11-30-2016, 06:06 AM

45,452 posts, read 60,653,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
May I ask what your point is? I doubt this is a huge surprise to most due to much of his strength being in rural states. I do not see why this matters so much?
It's just a way for some members of a minority, in this case some college graduates, to make themselves feel good and claim to be "smarter".

You see it all the time, people who have stayed within their own small subset think everyone is like them. It doesn't matter what the subset is, college graduates, Blacks (I taught in a mostly Black school at the end and those kids were astounded that the majority of the US was White. Their whole existence had been based in DC and Prince George's County, MD). Teachers who had never had a job other than teaching and had been in school since age 5 then went directly to teaching right out of college were especially bad.

Old 11-30-2016, 12:49 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,905,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup Not See View Post
Especially one that took 8 years to get a degree because he/she didn't want to work ...
Tell them to go into management; they won't have to work a day in their life. Be like my boss, who got his degree in Business, and sleeps at his desk.

Old 11-30-2016, 12:56 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,706,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog8food View Post
Hey, I remember colleges...I remember when colleges used to teach something other than leftist propaganda.
I thought the same thing. He means the same "educated" kids crying in safe spaces with play dough and hot chocolate and being allowed to miss classes to mope? Or "educated" adults threatening to assassinate trump, skipping work and telling people that didn't vote Hillary, to stop doing business with them or quit working for them? Nothing more needs to be said.

Old 11-30-2016, 12:59 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,706,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
That's an incomplete statement. If the people want change, they are hoping it might be for the better. Not better for the 1% or the upper 15%, as the current outlook seems to be, but for everyone. The people have put the fox in charge of the chicken house.
My husband the truck driver said the load boards haven't looked as great in years past as they did today. Trump must be doing something right, and he's not even in office yet.

Old 11-30-2016, 01:43 PM

24,012 posts, read 15,106,139 times
There is a difference between education and a work permit. Most college educations these days are a work permit.

Interesting article Nov 14 in the Lexington paper regarding a community college student who depends on Kentucky Medicaid, as do 66% of her fellow county residents. They voted for Trump 86-11 and the Republican candidate for Governor 71-27. Now they are upset about the forthcoming reduction in Medicaid.

Old 11-30-2016, 02:51 PM

59,164 posts, read 27,361,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodie2shoes View Post
Hillary. Whereas Trump received more votes from those with no college degree.

Makes sense.

Behind Trump's victory: Divisions by race, gender and education | Pew Research Center

In the 2016 election, a wide gap in presidential preferences emerged between those with and without a college degree. College graduates backed Clinton by a 9-point margin (52%-43%), while those without a college degree backed Trump 52%-44%. This is by far the widest gap in support among college graduates and non-college graduates in exit polls dating back to 1980. For example, in 2012, there was hardly any difference between the two groups: College graduates backed Obama over Romney by 50%-48%, and those without a college degree also supported Obama 51%-47%.
I read somewhere that MORE white college educated WOMEN voted for Trump.

Do have point to make?

It can also be said that the dems who have relied on the working middle class for years LOST BIG TIME to the working middle call.

Big union states like PA and, Ohio and Mich, voted for Trump

Old 12-02-2016, 10:29 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,301,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I read somewhere that MORE white college educated WOMEN voted for Trump.

Do have point to make?

It can also be said that the dems who have relied on the working middle class for years LOST BIG TIME to the working middle call.

Big union states like PA and, Ohio and Mich, voted for Trump
You read wrong.

White college grad women voted for Clinton 51-44, as did total college grads regardless of race (49-44) and post-graduates regardless of race (58-37).

In Michigan, Clinton carried white female college grads 50-44, in Pennsylvania 55-41 and Wisconsin 60-41, and even in Iowa (52-41), where Clinton was crushed. The only Rust Belt state carried by Trump in which he carried white college women was Ohio.

Exit Polls 2016

Last edited by Bureaucat; 12-02-2016 at 10:41 AM..

Old 12-02-2016, 11:21 AM

19,849 posts, read 12,119,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
You read wrong.

White college grad women voted for Clinton 51-44, as did total college grads regardless of race (49-44) and post-graduates regardless of race (58-37).

In Michigan, Clinton carried white female college grads 50-44, in Pennsylvania 55-41 and Wisconsin 60-41, and even in Iowa (52-41), where Clinton was crushed. The only Rust Belt state carried by Trump in which he carried white college women was Ohio.

Exit Polls 2016

Trump carried white college graduate males 53-39 as well as white college graduates 48-45.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections