Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 06:36 PM

1,816 posts, read 1,151,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Oh for God's sake. Trump meant nothing he said--when does his cult get that? Now he's in over his head and just grabbing billionaires and Wall Street to help him. Goldman Sachs and bank deregulation? Getting rid of Dodd Frank and consumer protection? This is George W. Bush - the sequel. SOS.
Agree with this being Bush II but a least the Trumpettes got a "hat" this time around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 06:39 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,985,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
And, trump's 'drain the swamp' theme would have led his voters to believe that he wouldn't continue in the same vein. But... well, the swamp is starting to look like it isn't going to get drained.
We shall see. Not sure I can get behind the whole 100% of people who have the same ex-employer are bad, I'm willing to give 'em a chance and see what they actually do in the roles they take. I work for a company with 1000s of people, some are amazing and I'd trust them with my life, others I don't trust with anything for a second.

Old 11-30-2016, 06:57 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,203,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
I'd prefer to be called someone who despises ignorant fascists. Not that I'm saying anyone in this thread actually is one, of course, and I want to make that clear because saying that about conservatives is against the TOS here. But as long as you're asking me the question, and as long as it's understood that we're just speaking in general terms, that's what I would prefer to be called.
Do you honestly think all 60+ million that voted for Trump are supporters of fascism ? Or is it conceivable they don't like open borders, birthright citizenship, sanctuary cities, unfavorable trade agreements, rising health care premiums, loss of American jobs visa fraud, giving billions to a terrorist country, unvetted refugees, increase in illicit drug traffic, government waste, lobbyist influence in DC, etc.

Old 11-30-2016, 07:13 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,984,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
You know it, I know it, and so do a lot of others, but it hasn't been proven to his supporters yet. How they ever swallowed the story that a millonaire, who has never done one damn thing for anyone else in the world, except for himself, is suddenly transformed into an every day Joe, and who is out to save the unwashed masses, is beyond comprehension. Did they really think he cared about them or their families ?

If you look at the people he is choosing for his team, all of them are either alt-right bigots, or Wall St wolves, who raped companies, laid off tons of people, and then sold them off for huge profits. They are going to strip away many good programs, try to destroy Roe v Wade, and put in programs that only benefit the rich. Trump will use this Presidency to enrich his own corporations, and facilitate better deals for him in the future.

I sort of do feel sorry for the average working people who thought they were getting electing someone different and someone who was so smart about business that they were going to have better lives by association. He preyed on their anger, manipulated their desperation, and fed them lie after lie.

There will be no joy in saying "we told you so" because we are all in this mess together. Now we just have to figure out the best way to get out of it.
You analyzed this well. It IS going to be sad that we will be the huddled masses under elite corporate rule. The Trump administration supporters, unless they are substantially well-off financially, will be among the rest of us. I doubt we will hear the words "Democrat" or "Republican" then. (History does indeed repeat itself, but so many Trump supporters bash education they may have missed, or flunked, those history courses.)

Awaiting the unfolding of the next four years. We will see who will be disavowing Trump, just as so many have disavowed Obama after passionately voting for him.

Old 11-30-2016, 07:20 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,636,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
I sort of do feel sorry for the average working people who thought they were getting electing someone different and someone who was so smart about business that they were going to have better lives by association. He preyed on their anger, manipulated their desperation, and fed them lie after lie.
I don't feel the least bit sorry for any of them, and I hope they're the first ones to lose their health care, their homes, their savings, and their jobs - every damned one of them. Because after all, that's what they voted for.

As for now, the funniest part of the whole thing is watching every one of them get played for fools as he packs his cabinet with exactly the people he promised them he would "drain" out of Washington. They were really so stupid they couldn't see this coming??? You KIDDIN' me?

Nope, sorry. No sympathy at all for any of them. Zero sympathy for anyone who voted for Trump. They deserve every single bad thing that's going to happen to them, and I'm going to enjoy the hell out of watching their lives fall apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup Not See View Post
Do you honestly think all 60+ million that voted for Trump are supporters of fascism ? Or is it conceivable they don't like open borders, birthright citizenship, sanctuary cities, unfavorable trade agreements, rising health care premiums, loss of American jobs visa fraud, giving billions to a terrorist country, unvetted refugees, increase in illicit drug traffic, government waste, lobbyist influence in DC, etc.
Is Donald Trump a fascist? I say the argument that he is a fascist is compelling enough that I'm comfortable saying the answer to that is "yes."

So. Having established that, did the people who voted for him support fascism? Again, the answer is "yes." I don't give a hoot in hell whether the reason they did it was because they disagree with current immigration policy, or trade agreements, or anything else - that's a totally separate discussion. The fact is that the people who voted for Trump because they thought he would solve those problems made a conscious and deliberate decision to solve those problems by electing a fascist.

So, yes - every single person who voted for Donald Trump supported a fascist. Pure and simple. And if that pisses you or any of them off or makes y'all uncomfortable, well - that's good. Because it damned well should.

Old 11-30-2016, 07:20 PM

1,010 posts, read 2,463,728 times
It looks like Trump is filling his cabinet with people from the Republicans establishment in exchange for getting other positions for his supporters. Not as much change as most people would like, but it's a start.

2016_ElectionResults: Designs & Collections on Zazzle

Old 11-30-2016, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup Not See View Post
No, they are not all supporters of fascism. What faithful supporters will come to find out, what will slowly dawn on them and the rest of us over time, is what his alt-right cabinet members represent. We know little of Trump, but we can, even now, read up on his cabinet pics. Everyone loves the Wall, and Trump got everyone trumped up on immigration and how immigrants are coming to get them. In their frenzy what they missed was the fine print. Let's see who's happier with the new healthcare voucher system, earthquakes in their back yard in fracking country, and oh, where did we put those masks the people use daily in Beijing? Anyone you know LGBT? Even if you're not, any concern for them? Got kids in public school? The gov't dollars for public schools aren't looking likely, over time. Getting on Medicare or Social Security any time soon? Be prepared; we got the cabinet appointee who will make it better for you.

Old 11-30-2016, 07:29 PM

[quote=Mr. In-Between;46362315]
Is Donald Trump a fascist? I say the argument that he is a fascist is compelling enough that I'm comfortable saying the answer to that is "yes."

So. Having established that, did the people who voted for him support fascism? Again, the answer is "yes." I don't give a hoot in hell whether the reason they did it was because they disagree with current immigration policy, or trade agreements, or anything else - that's a totally separate discussion. The fact is that the people who voted for Trump because they thought he would solve those problems made a conscious and deliberate decision to solve those problems by electing a fascist. /QUOTE]

I honestly don't think that the people who voted for Trump know what fascism is, so they did not consciously elect a fascist. They may have heard the word, but are clueless about how those dictators rose to power and who they surrounded themselves on the way up. All it takes is for hatred toward certain peoples to turn an ordinary rich ruler into a dictator, with the right people surrounding. And a supporting populace that is over the top fearful.

Old 11-30-2016, 07:31 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,476,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Goldman Sachs and bank deregulation? Getting rid of Dodd Frank and consumer protection?
I'm just thankful that Trump is redeeming Goldman Sachs in the eyes of the electorate. They had a pretty bad rep back when Hillary was paling around with them.

Old 11-30-2016, 07:39 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,034,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compSciGuy View Post
It looks like Trump is filling his cabinet with people from the Republicans establishment in exchange for getting other positions for his supporters. Not as much change as most people would like, but it's a start.

2016_ElectionResults: Designs & Collections on Zazzle
He pretty much signaled he was going to do that anyway. Said the establishment would follow him once he won. Lo and behold, he was right. He knew he needed them and said he wanted them involved but he would be the one in charge, the one setting the agenda and they would be the ones falling in line. Thus far, it's going just about like he said it would. Have to admit, I didn't think he could do it but I was wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections