Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 02:24 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,971,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Well, I donated to Trump.
But you are not a member of the donor class who have crushed the working class of America for the past 40 years. The donor class who donated millions to Trump is rewarded. They will get incredibly rich under Trump. The big money donor class are now fully in charge. You talk about businessmen and dont seem to understand that establishment politicians are puppets of this donor class. Who do you think have written all the anti-worker trade deals over the past decades? The politicians or the billionaire class? Goldman Sachs are in charge of the economy. Just like under Bush, Clinton and Obama. Trump has made that very, very clear with his two most important picks both being Goldman fat cats. They will look out for themselves. Not rural America which will continue its steep decline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2016, 02:35 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,905,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisetheworld View Post
Many rich people became rich because they are smart and hard working. Yeah God forbid we should have people like that in the Cabinet!
Probably because we already have enough evidence that the most rich people don't give a damn about the problems of the middle and working classes.

Old 12-11-2016, 05:38 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,327,657 times
Oh, spare me the charts and graphs! The only thing that restricts a person from "discovering the true value or their labor," is the individual. All this is B.S.

Old 12-11-2016, 06:20 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,127,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
There is a "billionaire class," and now the cabinet of our highest office is completely stacked with them. This is going to get a lot worse before it gets better.
Billionaires are awesome. Google their homes and yachts. Three 8,000hp MTU engines, OMG! So inspiring!
I made it to millionaire so am content, but never understood the animosity the Left had for someone that was successful.
Clinton and Sanders entered political life with little, then somehow became wealthy once in office. How does that happen?

Old 12-11-2016, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Probably because we already have enough evidence that the most rich people don't give a damn about the problems of the middle and working classes.
Please give us specifics and links please.

Old 12-11-2016, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
But you are not a member of the donor class who have crushed the working class of America for the past 40 years. The donor class who donated millions to Trump is rewarded. They will get incredibly rich under Trump. The big money donor class are now fully in charge. You talk about businessmen and dont seem to understand that establishment politicians are puppets of this donor class. Who do you think have written all the anti-worker trade deals over the past decades? The politicians or the billionaire class? Goldman Sachs are in charge of the economy. Just like under Bush, Clinton and Obama. Trump has made that very, very clear with his two most important picks both being Goldman fat cats. They will look out for themselves. Not rural America which will continue its steep decline.
Is there a cap on how much drama a single post can have?

Old 12-11-2016, 06:32 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,743,089 times
Quote:
There is a "billionaire class," and now the cabinet of our highest office is completely stacked with them. This is going to get a lot worse before it gets better.
To date, Donald Trump is wealthiest American President ever. He has now surpassed George Washington as the richest POTUS ever. Of course GW was a terrible president and totally corrupted by all of his wealth ... right?

Here's a list of the US Presidents who were worth more than $100 million (adjusting their net worth for inflation). These are the richest presidents ever:
  • Donald Trump - estimated $4.5 billion
  • George Washington - $580 million
  • Thomas Jefferson - $234 million
  • Theodore Roosevelt - $138 million
  • Andrew Jackson - $131 million
  • James Madison - $112 million
  • Lyndon B Johnson - $108 million
  • John F Kennedy - $100 million

Okay there's a couple of lemons in there, but overall that's pretty awesome company. So where's the correlation that wealth makes you a bad president?

I didn't want Trump. I didn't want Romney either. But I do not comprehend all this, "Beware the evil billionaire!!" schtick. Being poor doesn't turn you into a saint. Being rich doesn't turn you into a monster. We're all just people.

Old 12-11-2016, 06:51 AM

8,131 posts, read 4,333,621 times
Quote:
Sanders just said publicly what people have been saying for years, Sanders has a mic, we don't!

Old 12-11-2016, 07:11 AM

3,618 posts, read 3,058,602 times
^I don't think this is a very good website for an informed discussion about the ill effects of income inequality, but what parts of the position do you struggle with understanding?

Conditions for working American's have gotten much worse since the 1980s as income inequality has grown. Even relatively well-off Americans are taking less vacation, working longer hours, feeling stressed about being able to provide for their families. Suicide, depression, substance abuse - pretty sure if you tracked the bottom half of the income ladder in the US, you would see these are all on the rise. Child poverty rates in this country are ridiculously high compared to other advanced nations; our wealthy class used to take care of these people but now its more common to figure out how they can earn more by reducing working class benefits such as medical, retirement, etc. Or else just fire a bunch of them.

I would argue, and I believe if confronted with the questions in a non-partisan way, most Americans would agree with me - this nation has taken a wrong turn in how it cares for its less privileged classes. Corporations and their wealthy owners need to do something to reverse the trend of lengthening working hours, reducing benefits, holding pay flat, and generally making regular American people miserable.

Trump seems to have little or no empathy, maybe even disdain, for regular American people. He exploits poor people and rewards the wealthy with positions of power. I'm pissed off at rich people who have stopped caring about regular Americans - that's what I think Trump and his billionaire cabinet are all about. Bernie was right.

Old 12-11-2016, 08:26 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,743,089 times
Quote:
Trump seems to have little or no empathy, maybe even disdain, for regular American people. He exploits poor people and rewards the wealthy with positions of power. I'm pissed off at rich people who have stopped caring about regular Americans - that's what I think Trump and his billionaire cabinet are all about. Bernie was right.
Pardon me, but what campaign were you watching this year?? Trump was always hyper-focused on job creation all year.

Being dirt-poor doesn't make you any more qualified at job creation than being rich. Many a rich man has been a noble leader and many a poor man raised up to power has become a tyrant.

Debating who was poorer or who came up harder between Hillary and Trump is pointless. Both were born and raised rich. Neither of them has the slightest clue what it's like to live poor.

Personally, I didn't vote for Trump or Hillary. I don't think either of them could have delivered or been good as our president. Trump now gets a chance to prove me wrong. But his wealth is completely irrelevant. Either he delivers for the American people or he doesn't. History will judge him based on how well he delivers.

I am curious though. What presidents can you list who really came through for the poor and the downtrodden. Best examples I can think of are Teddy Roosevelt and Franklin Roosevelt. Both of them were born and raised rich SOB's. Clearly that didn't stop them from helping the poor and downtrodden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections