Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More historic president?
black 41 53.95%
female 35 46.05%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 10:54 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,965,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
I'm amazed by the comments about Obama not being "really black".
So am I Rainy. People who say that are usually your inner-city blacks who grew up in lower socio-economical areas. Its almost that if you speak English and dont show your teeth or say "fenda" instead of "I am preparing to......" or "Axe" instead of "I have a question for your" or "ask" blacks tend to say that you are "not really black". I never understood this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 11:58 AM

39 posts, read 533,007 times
It's absolutely ridiculous to assert that Barack Obama is "black" or "African-American". Regardless of past racial classifications in regards to someone's "blackness", the reality is that genetically, Obama is no more African than he is Caucasian.

I think it's quite frankly racist, and ignorant, to ignore his Caucasian geneology and lump him with a group of people who he only shares half of his genetic makeup with just because he's caramel skinned and has kinky hair.

On the SNL skit, some people were apparently getting offended that a white guy used face paint and a wig to portray Obama. This makes absolutely no sense considering that Obama (feature-wise atleast) looks more like a white guy than he does a black one. Under these people's assessments, Denzel Washington or some other black actor should have played Barack, who by the way he looks NOTHING like.

As far as I'm concerned, it is such ignorance that is very prevalent among many white Americans in regards to recognizing and respecting mixed race persons for what they really are - mixed race.

Old 03-06-2008, 12:00 PM

39 posts, read 533,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
So am I Rainy. People who say that are usually your inner-city blacks who grew up in lower socio-economical areas. Its almost that if you speak English and dont show your teeth or say "fenda" instead of "I am preparing to......" or "Axe" instead of "I have a question for your" or "ask" blacks tend to say that you are "not really black". I never understood this.
Bull****. I'm black and am an economic elitist. I recognize that Obama is NOT black - he's mixed race.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:02 AM

3,255 posts, read 5,081,070 times
Can someone tell me what any of it matters? Are we in a pigment election? Are we judging by how many eggs the goose produced? NO! Can these people help us restore our country to something to be proud of and to be able to raise our family's in. That is all I care about.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:52 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,692,780 times
When I learned that a black and a women were running I thought that America had come to a wonderful maturity. I was so wrong! All the effort to teach equality seems to be centered only on white America. Blacks are voting for BO at a rate of 80-90% which demonstrates that they are not voting for a candidate, but for a black man. It reminds me of the OJ Simpson trial. If white people had of voted because of race HC would already have the nomination. This begs the question; can black people be trusted for a fair and honest vote when there is a mixed race election?
The second part of this is gender prejudice. You may not like HC but she is the most qualified woman to run for office. ABC said she was not getting the white male vote. It is a sad thing that men are not voting for a woman simply because she is a woman.
I believe this shows that America has a long way to go on the subject of equality.
Don

Old 03-07-2008, 09:42 AM

1,977 posts, read 3,578,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
To define how I define things (as I'm very precise and not PC. LOL):

If you were born in Africa (literally) and then came here and have become or have applied to become an American citizen, then I will call you "African-American". If you were born here in the states, then you are just a plain old American to me - but if color is important, I'll say "Black American". Likewise with the Asian-American tag, etc etc etc.

That being said, Obama has an African FATHER (who was born and raised in Africa), but a white mother, and Obama himself was born here in the U.S. Therefore personally I'd consider him "mixed race" if a tag had to be put on it.

I think though that regardless, a black or "mixed" President would maybe have more of an impact than a female President in terms of, I don't know the right word - controversy? Milestone? Breakthrough? Maybe all three? Keep in mind that of all the people that have been rumored to run alongside McCain for V.P., one of the names that came up is Condoleezza Rice - he would hit two birds with one stone if he's looking to keep up with the other side (so to speak) - having a running mate who is black AND a female.

At this point I think I'd vote for Punky Brewster if she'd run, to be honest.
No......no Condi for VP....this is coming from a black american. Heylll naw!

Old 03-07-2008, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophix View Post
Bull****. I'm black and am an economic elitist. I recognize that Obama is NOT black - he's mixed race.
Sophix...he is mixed raced. But the entire world sees him as black!

Old 03-07-2008, 09:49 AM

ABC said she was not getting the white male vote. It is a sad thing that men are not voting for a woman simply because she is a woman.....Donsabi

They're right. those white male voters do not want a female in the white house, they would rather have a black man or Mccain as president LOL! Thats the sexist part of america!~

Old 03-07-2008, 10:17 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,686,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goozer View Post
I tend to think that a black president would be more historic. I mean, there is a much stronger precedent for women leaders in other developed countries in the world, including much of South America and Europe. People like Margaret Thatcher and Evita Peron are looked at as icons of good leadership in England and Argentina and elsewhere. In fact, Indonesia had a female president (Megawati) for many years and that is the largest Muslim country in the world--a religion that gets a lot of bad press for its "repression" of women. But a black american president... I have yet to see a black man become a leader of a major European or South American country that is predominantly white (maybe I'm wrong, but I'm not aware of it). Women are a majority in the U.S., blacks are a minority. I think that makes a big difference in deciding which would be more historic.
You got my vote! I mean, I agree with this.

Old 03-07-2008, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
You got my vote! I mean, I agree with this.

I'm Straddling the fence. I like them both. Its an exciting time in politics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections