Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 02:42 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,565,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiemeister View Post
I am basing my decision on who is best suited to keep food on all our tables and fix the economy.
No politician has ever put food on my table. As a matter of fact, they tend to take a lot out the paycheck that I use to keep the pantry stocked. And then they seem hellbent on spending that money to create additional bomb craters in the middle east.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 03:27 PM

745 posts, read 2,210,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
No politican can save our economy. They spend money and have plans to spend alot more. The FED has more to do with controlling inflation and interest rates but also can not save our economy. It is the business cycle and us that have really effected our economy. Mostly us this time as we have been living on borrowed credit too long and buying houses many couyld never afford. People need to take more responsibilty and we need to save more.That way everyhime the economy cycles we don't have to look for someone else to blame but can weather it out.There is no dream team as far as the economy.
I quoted the above post because it is by far the most intelligent post thus far and I agree with every word of it.

The natural state of an economy is that it goes in cycles much like a diagram of a radio wave, up and down. Bill Clinton gets a lot of credit for a good economy, but most economists give a large part of the credit for his succes to decisions made during George H.W. Bush's recession. Another little known fact is that from 2000-2007, unemployment levels were lower than during the Clinton years.

My point is that we, as citizens, have much more control on the economy than any President, and most citizens, even on here don't quite understand it (and I'm not claiming to fully understand it either). We'll probably go through the upcoming recession, and then experience economic growth again no matter who the president is, because that's what naturally happens. I personally tend to worry moreso about increasing federal debt with either Obama or Clinton and all their federal programs proposed thus far. I don't think there is a perfect economist to choose from, but whichever candidate is elected will probably have a good market come re-election time in 2012, because that's the natural flow of a Capitalistic economy.

Old 03-08-2008, 05:04 PM

1,425 posts, read 3,317,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
http://weblogs.newsday.com/news/local/longisland/politics/blog/HillaryChinaHat.jpeg (broken link)
Cheap shot.

Old 03-08-2008, 05:08 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,018,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiemeister View Post
Cheap shot.
Actually, I think they look cute so I don't find it offensive in the least! I need to get one of those hats for gardening!

Old 03-08-2008, 05:21 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,156,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
You're being totally illogical if you can blame the loss of US jobs on Hillary or NAFTA.
I'm sorry, where I was illogical was thinking that when Hillary stated that if NY would elect her, they would see 200,000 NEW jobs..

Yeah, believing her proves to be illogical time and time again..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections