Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 08:23 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,838,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
If you want to remove the hassle that comes with voting, you make it a national holiday. People can get the day off from work to go and vote. Then people's excuses are limited and there's more time for fir more people, so it will be easier to get around the crowd.
Not a bad idea. As it stands, I am in a job with flexible hours so I can just ask off. The guy that is working the register at the sandwich shop across from the voting place, not so much. So there might be a bit of disenfranchisement between people working professional jobs with leave and flexible hours, and people working low tier service type jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2017, 08:24 AM

16,427 posts, read 12,533,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peequi View Post
Agreed. The integrity and celebratory nature of an election is more important to me than convenience. It really is not that hard to vote. But I admit I never had an issue with lines, I seen some photos where the lines are really long. Not sure what an average wait time is across the nation, but I am literally in and out in less than 5 minutes.
Even when we have a few weeks of early voting in my area, my wait time has been as short as 5 minutes or as long as an hour and a half. It depends on when I go. But if there were no early voting, my wait would probably be in the 2-3+ hour window, even with weeding out some people. I wouldn't have a problem with the wait, but my employer would.

Old 05-25-2017, 08:27 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,770,925 times
I like mail-in voting.

Ideally, voting day would be a holiday, as it is in many countries. But I doubt we'll see that any time soon. Saturday voting would help, but is not a complete solution, since so many people work on Saturdays.

Mail-in voting as I've experienced it, is not only convenient, it seems to spur people to spend more time researching candidates. Not rational, I know, but people will often cite this as a big reason they like it. And by its nature it easily allows for early voting.

I don't know of anything that prevents those last minute "oops, I think I want to change my vote" situations. After all, even if you vote only on election day, there's no guarantee that you would know whether your candidate said or did something the day before the election that would cause you to change your mind.

Old 05-25-2017, 08:47 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,911,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
If you want to remove the hassle that comes with voting, you make it a national holiday. People can get the day off from work to go and vote. Then people's excuses are limited and there's more time for fir more people, so it will be easier to get around the crowd.
I'm against the National Holiday for voting....it will be too enticing to go to the beach or otherwise get out of town and would decrease participation IMO.

Old 05-25-2017, 08:48 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,911,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I like mail-in voting.

Ideally, voting day would be a holiday, as it is in many countries. But I doubt we'll see that any time soon. Saturday voting would help, but is not a complete solution, since so many people work on Saturdays.

Mail-in voting as I've experienced it, is not only convenient, it seems to spur people to spend more time researching candidates. Not rational, I know, but people will often cite this as a big reason they like it. And by its nature it easily allows for early voting.

I don't know of anything that prevents those last minute "oops, I think I want to change my vote" situations. After all, even if you vote only on election day, there's no guarantee that you would know whether your candidate said or did something the day before the election that would cause you to change your mind.
The Saturday voting would be 24 hours. Or make it a 2 day voting window...all weekend.

Old 05-25-2017, 08:51 AM

16,427 posts, read 12,533,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
I'm against the National Holiday for voting....it will be too enticing to go to the beach or otherwise get out of town and would decrease participation IMO.
Well, then only the serious voters would participate. I'm cool with that.

Old 05-25-2017, 09:09 AM

858 posts, read 708,344 times
Every vote possible should be counted. Some people just won't be able to get to a voting center so you need a way for those people to cast their vote. I have been voting for 2 decades and I have never had a wait more than 5 minutes however in this past election, i went at 8am and the line was out the door. Luckily I was working from home that day and the voting center was only a few blocks away so I said 'forget this' and went home. I came back during lunch and there was no line. My commute on the train is an hour so if I had to go into work that day, I possibly would not have voted. If this type of occurence is normal in some parts of the country, early voting is crucial

Old 05-25-2017, 09:18 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,330,017 times
Perhaps we should have two days of voting, one a national holiday and the second a Saturday.

Old 05-25-2017, 09:40 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,551,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Most of the time, the guy running for congress doesn't try to imitate Hulk Hogan the day before the election.
True. For those of us employed full time - early voting is a Godsend. That said, I don't expect my candidate to lose their chit over a simple question the night before he is supposed to win an election.

Quote:
Originally Posted by functionofx View Post
Democrats wouldn't release this nonsense if they thought the race was already lost. That it comes out the night before an election, without time to get any facts from the candidate, or party, means dirty tricks. The reporter is likely a Democrat who did his best to bait the candidate into pushing him back. My understanding is the reporter was shoving a cell phone into the candidates face, and wouldn't stop, would not agree to speak with the candidates press representative, and wouldn't stop asking the same question. Which had been long ago answered.

The question had never been answered - because the CBO score just came out! Evidently you have not listened to the tape OR your friends at Faux who witnessed the event.

They corroborate the reporters version of events; he asked a very mundane question about the CBO score and your Republican candidate lost his mind. Obviously a high pressure job would not be a good fit for this individual. He cannot take the heat.

Old 05-25-2017, 09:46 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,186,906 times
I used to vote early when I lived in Montana. I wouldn't change the rules because more people would be unable to vote than people who would actually change their vote.

Hell, read the thread about Gianforte. Some people are actually praising him and saying they'd vote for him because of his assault. It's despicable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections