Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 06:07 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,937,044 times

Advertisements

It's estimated that almost 70% of Montana voters have already voted in today's special election for the state's only Congressional seat.

Everyone's seen the news that the heavily favored candidate, was charged last night with assault.

Early voting is gaining popularity, and I've used it myself, rather than hassle with parking and lines at voting booths.

But is it a good idea? My personal preference would be for online same-day voting, but I don't think the security is sufficient at this time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2017, 06:10 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,629,416 times
That's a tough question. It makes voting easier for lots of people, but there is always the chance that last-minute developments could make some voters regret their decision. Not sure what the answer is.

Old 05-25-2017, 07:08 AM

17,061 posts, read 12,680,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
It's estimated that almost 70% of Montana voters have already voted in today's special election for the state's only Congressional seat.

Everyone's seen the news that the heavily favored candidate, was charged last night with assault.

Early voting is gaining popularity, and I've used it myself, rather than hassle with parking and lines at voting booths.

But is it a good idea? My personal preference would be for online same-day voting, but I don't think the security is sufficient at this time.
Most of the time, the guy running for congress doesn't try to imitate Hulk Hogan the day before the election.

Old 05-25-2017, 07:15 AM

23,755 posts, read 17,421,552 times
Quote:

NO, not as a genral rule. specifed exceptions only.

much can change between the time the vote is cast and election day.

Old 05-25-2017, 07:19 AM

1,707 posts, read 1,110,461 times
Quote:

Democrats wouldn't release this nonsense if they thought the race was already lost. That it comes out the night before an election, without time to get any facts from the candidate, or party, means dirty tricks. The reporter is likely a Democrat who did his best to bait the candidate into pushing him back. My understanding is the reporter was shoving a cell phone into the candidates face, and wouldn't stop, would not agree to speak with the candidates press representative, and wouldn't stop asking the same question. Which had been long ago answered.

Old 05-25-2017, 07:22 AM

16,467 posts, read 12,683,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by functionofx View Post
Democrats wouldn't release this nonsense if they thought the race was already lost. That it comes out the night before an election, without time to get any facts from the candidate, or party, means dirty tricks. The reporter is likely a Democrat who did his best to bait the candidate into pushing him back. My understanding is the reporter was shoving a cell phone into the candidates face, and wouldn't stop, would not agree to speak with the candidates press representative, and wouldn't stop asking the same question. Which had been long ago answered.
The FOX reporters in the room said that the reporter held up his phone, but wasn't physically aggressive at.all.

Old 05-25-2017, 07:25 AM

736 posts, read 459,830 times
I wait until election day, in case the candidate I was going to vote for gets caught in bed with a dead girl or a live boy.

Old 05-25-2017, 07:25 AM

24,819 posts, read 17,567,386 times
I think early voting is fine but should not be the norm and it should also stay off the internet.
If large groups of people were voting online it would be easy for a hacker to misdirect their votes and we would have an actual case of russian interference.

I think in the past Presidential election most people had their minds made up weeks if not months before the actual day to vote with few changing their minds.

Early voting does carry a risk that new evidence might emerge that would make one regret their choice.

Old 05-25-2017, 07:34 AM

18,545 posts, read 15,381,184 times
I'm against it, but for different reasons. I think voting should be a little inconvenient. It weeds out the people who don't follow the issues. If you can't be bothered to go a little out of your way to vote, then maybe you shouldn't be voting. Someone who only votes for someone because he/she is the cool person, or because their friends are voting for that person, is likely not going to be bothered by going to the polling place and casting a vote that had no thought going into it. If you believe in something or someone, put a little effort into it. Just a little.

Old 05-25-2017, 07:40 AM

1,700 posts, read 1,052,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I'm against it, but for different reasons. I think voting should be a little inconvenient. It weeds out the people who don't follow the issues. If you can't be bothered to go a little out of your way to vote, then maybe you shouldn't be voting. Someone who only votes for someone because he/she is the cool person, or because their friends are voting for that person, is likely not going to be bothered by going to the polling place and casting a vote that had no thought going into it. If you believe in something or someone, put a little effort into it. Just a little.
Agreed. The integrity and celebratory nature of an election is more important to me than convenience. It really is not that hard to vote. But I admit I never had an issue with lines, I seen some photos where the lines are really long. Not sure what an average wait time is across the nation, but I am literally in and out in less than 5 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections