Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2017, 09:47 PM

34,078 posts, read 17,129,438 times

Advertisements

The Rust belt was home to millions of Reagan Democrats. Watching them choose Trump was watching them come home to the only socially conservative party, the GOP.

A wonderful night, culminated by their wonderful choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 09:50 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,736,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
The Rust belt was home to millions of Reagan Democrats. Watching them choose Trump was watching them come home to the only socially conservative party, the GOP.

A wonderful night, culminated by their wonderful choice.
Looking forward to seeing what the Rust Belt looks like in three years. One year ago today they were happy because they thought Trump was going to bring back their jobs without them having to go to school. Let's see how that works out in three years, after all, going to school is so elitist.

Old 11-09-2017, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
How did you feel one year ago tonight?

I was lmao, going well this is going to be fun. Season 2 Episode 1 ... so far it has been one hell of a show ...
Its been wonderful.

Old 11-09-2017, 10:02 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,597,764 times
Quote:
I have been. I have also always been a huge fan of our EC system.

Ingenious.
The person I was conversing with said that there are only a few states that decide elections. In most cases, that is true. Why is it okay for these states to be more important than those that are solidly red or solidly blue?

For all that matter, why should states decide at all, instead of individuals? If there is any phrase I detest, it is "states' rights." A state is nothing but a government put in place by the people, ALL of them, and right now, there are people who are not being equally represented in our elections. The usual defense of the EC, other than the fact that it is enshrined in the Constitution, which I will address later, is the argument that it is fair, and gives everyone a voice. But why the hell should the voice of someone in Wyoming or Vermont carry so much more weight than the voice of someone in New York or California or Texas? I hope you notice that I mention both red and blue states whose voters are given too much or too little influence.

Before giving me a lecture about the Constitution and the wisdom of the Founders, please remember that in this country's infancy, women could not vote and slaves were counted as 3/5 of a person. For all that matter, while there have been amendments guaranteeing equal voting rights to women, black people, and those 18 or older, the actual right to vote at all is never explicitly mentioned. The Founders were smart, but they were not perfect, and that they wrote the Constitution in a way that allows it to be amended is a very good argument for the fact that they knew that.

Old 11-09-2017, 10:06 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,353,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Looking forward to seeing what the Rust Belt looks like in three years. One year ago today they were happy because they thought Trump was going to bring back their jobs without them having to go to school. Let's see how that works out in three years, after all, going to school is so elitist.
But a lot of us, even in "(semi)-retirement" still prefer the dignity of productive activity (just not as much, maybe, or as intense) to camping on the porch in wait for a government check, and little else.

"It's a "blue dog" thing, and some of you out there will never understand!"

Old 11-09-2017, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
The person I was conversing with said that there are only a few states that decide elections. In most cases, that is true. Why is it okay for these states to be more important than those that are solidly red or solidly blue?

They are wrong. 51 separate elections decide things.

It happens to be, that about 35 states have voted the same way since 1988. The focus is always on ten that have been tossups between both parties.

But that is simply due to how the population within each of the 51 historically vote.

Old 11-09-2017, 10:09 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 9 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,605,492 times
Wondering if somehow, some way, I sisdslipped into an alternate reality, or of the "universe as a simulation" conjecture is true, the game player intervened and set the simulation th President Trump mode - beside saying Oh.My. *******. ****! America has truly gone around the bend!! That plus "Time to prepare for a knockdown fight in 2018"

Old 11-09-2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL IRON View Post
Neil Gorsuch. The supreme court was my most important voting criteria. I believed then as I do now that the president in this election cycle would shape the Supreme Court for a generation.
agreed.

Gorsuch is just 48. Generations will be treated to his wonderful service.

Old 11-09-2017, 10:19 PM

31,077 posts, read 22,126,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I do not believe this. Trump supporters delighted in the ugliness of his election, posting videos of people crying and so on. They LOVE the ugliness of election night. On the positive side, politics change and they will on the other side looking at their own crying videos some day and one hopes they will know they were due.
Yes, we loved watching you and your biased media stars cry. Why wouldnt we? It was a joyful day when your peace prize winning killer's replacement was defeated Hopefully we can rid ourselves of your child molesting Hollywood supporters took. And the best thing about Trump, he put an end to Obama/Hillary releasing his Terrorists from Gitmo so we wont have to deal with them killing our soldiers and Innocent civilians That and the Demonization of our Law Enforcement proffesionals.

Old 11-09-2017, 10:24 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,597,764 times
Quote:
agreed.

Gorsuch is just 48. Generations will be treated to his wonderful service.
There are lots of things I want to say about how Gorsuch is likely to "service" the nation, but most of them are probably against the TOS, particularly those with graphic illustrations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections